Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

As poor as I think Gerrard is, let’s not forget we’re now playing with a very similar side to the one that almost got relegated.

We’re a below average side with or without Gerrard. Our main aim needs to be to avoid relegation. Arguing that we’ve spent lots of money and therefore shouldn’t be near the relegation zone is fanciful. 

Is this satire?

This is a stronger squad than what we finished 11th with.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

As poor as I think Gerrard is, let’s not forget we’re now playing with a very similar side to the one that almost got relegated.

We’re a below average side with or without Gerrard. Our main aim needs to be to avoid relegation. Arguing that we’ve spent lots of money and therefore shouldn’t be near the relegation zone is fanciful. 

Well let’s say it’s the exact same team as last season. Dean Smith got sacked when he was doing better than Gerrard with the same team. 

And in reality it’s nowhere near the same team, Coutinho, Digne for most of the season, Kamara for 7/8th of the games, Bailey fit, Sanson fit, Chambers, Dendoncker, Bednarek, and so on. 

And even without all that the minimum I’d expect a new manager to do is to individually improve a portion of the existing players after a full season with them. 

1 minute ago, AVTuco said:

My feeling is that people here are going to be angry and frustrated for a long time still.

Our owners have hired him for the long term. They have a plan. They won't give up this easy. 

Is the plan relegation?

• Like 1

It’s draining. I was speaking to my 75yr old step father yesterday who has been a baggies fan for over 60yrs and he just sounded defeated. These sort of managers (Gerrard/Bruce) just suck the joy out of the game

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Gerrard or no Gerrard we ain’t getting relegated. It’s just shit. 

Fact is even talk about it is whats criminal. I dont think we will go down but with this clown in charge we wont be far off it

14 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I believe some underestimate the committment the board and Purslow in particular has made with Gerrard. When SG was appointed it was with the vision of him taking the team forward come hell or high water, and even if it takes a very long time.

My guess is SG stays at least until the end if the season. If the club is in a real relegation fight later on the owners might get nervous, but as long as we’re not bottom 3 by March he’ll most likely stay.

I disagree, I would imagine they are already very concerned. I can't see on current performances Gerrard not being sacked by the World Cup.

• Like 1

A PPG of 1 this season and 1.21 for the calendar year as a whole, (if my calculations were correct) which would have us finishing almost exactly where we did last year.

Considering the ambitions expressed by the owners, you'd assume the writing is on the wall. On the road to absolutely no where.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

It all points to a very poor transfer policy whichever way you look at it. We’ve wasted millions and not addressed our imbalance in key areas. 

Is that SGs fault then?    

Yes. Yes it is.  

10 players off the top of my head that Gerrard has chosen…

Coutinho, Digne, Kamara, Dendoncker, Bednarek, Carlos, Augustinsson, Chambers, Olsen, Young (re-signed).

Aston Villa just doesn’t feel like a good place at the moment.

Players, fans, manager all on different pages, no identity or plan.  Just Aston Vanilla, bit meh, pointless and grey!

Need this chancer gone ASAP

• Like 1

8 points from a very favourable 8 games to start is pretty poor. This month we need points on the board and much improved football or we’ll be on for a relegation battle with a lot of players on big money probably without relegation clauses. The board have a decision to make, really think he’s gone if we dont beat Forest.

Â