Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

I don’t think he’s going anywhere soon.

If Purslow and NSWE we’re going to sack him then surely, given the situation of the Leicester game being called off, it would have happened by now.

Other than the boos after the West Ham game, the crowd have yet to turn on him. Granted, lose tomorrow night and I’m sure the boos will be ringing around VP at the end. 

If we win tomorrow. He’s going to be here for quite a while yet. Probably until the World Cup. I just can’t see Purslow and Co sacking him on the back of a win going into the international break. 

It will turn out to be yet another Villa missed opportunity in not being ruthless enough and going all out to get Poch in to replace him.

Edited by imavillan
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, imavillan said:

If Purslow and NSWE we’re going to sack him then surely, given the situation of the Leicester game being called off, it would have happened by now.

Other than the boos after the West Ham game, the crowd have yet to turn on him. Granted, lose tomorrow night and I’m sure the boos will be ringing around VP at the end. 

If we win tomorrow. He’s going to be here for quite a while yet. Probably until the World Cup. I just can’t see Purslow and Co sacking him on the back of a win going into the international break. 

It will turn out to be yet another Villa missed opportunity in not being ruthless enough and going all out to get Poch in to replace him.

I've yet to meet a Villa fan fully supportive of him.

I can't believe there are many out there.

I don't think the crowd are far from going bearing in mind the quality we now have.

Edited by Tomaszk

23 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Honestly if I didn’t see the games or the results, and only watched the interviews, I’d be quite pleased with him.

I agree and on the opposite side, if we only saw the games and results, and he wasn’t a famous ex-footballer we’d be saying how has this guy not been fired yet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, a m ole said:

Honestly if I didn’t see the games or the results, and only watched the interviews, I’d be quite pleased with him.

Gerrard is like Tommy without a mean pinball game 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

I agree and on the opposite side, if we only saw the games and results, and he wasn’t a famous ex-footballer we’d be saying how has this guy not been fired yet.

But he is a famous ex-footballer and you still say that! 😂

15 hours ago, imavillan said:

Can you imagine what sort of media kicking we would have got had we taken the opportunity of an extended break between games to sack Gerrard, given the reason for the extended break?

Plus you’d have had a load of fans from other clubs suddenly develop a moral compass and start to slate us.

I think it will be interesting to see what happens tonight, and I hope we win as we need points on the board. I’m not sure too many fans will accept much less, depending on the actual performance I guess.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Can you imagine what sort of media kicking we would have got had we taken the opportunity of an extended break between games to sack Gerrard, given the reason for the extended break?

1) I don’t care and 2) we’d get a kicking but then tomorrow something else would take their attention for example look how quickly they have moved on from Tuchel being sacked.  Their attention for Villa is limited at the best of times, we’d at best be covered for one or two news cycles if we sack Gerrard.

27 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Plus you’d have had a load of fans from other clubs suddenly develop a moral compass and start to slate us.

When don’t other fans think they are better than us morally or otherwise.  If it’s not Gerrard sacking, it’s how much we’ve spent or we think we are better than we are or we talk too much about ‘82 and trophies from 100+ years ago or we talk about Europe but we are a bottom half of the table team.  We are the same to other teams, there is always something you can diss on opposing teams.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

I think it will be interesting to see what happens tonight, and I hope we win as we need points on the board. I’m not sure too many fans will accept much less, depending on the actual performance I guess.

Whilst some fans don’t care about this it’s something the club would need to consider. PR is important.  Sacking a manager during this week wouldn’t be a great move. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Yeah, the media would have a field day, but that's what they will do whenever the time is we get rid anyway. 

I just think the longer we wait the more the season is effectively over.

I just hope, regardless of tonights result, that he's gone in the next couple of days and that the club have been working behind the scenes to get a replacement in.

Look at Chelsea, for all the why's and wherefores, Tuchel was sacked and Potter was in his seat before it had chance to go cold.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Whilst some fans don’t care about this it’s something the club would need to consider. PR is important.  Sacking a manager during this week wouldn’t be a great move. 

PR is important, but one must have a long term view. Being criticized for a week isn't a problem if it improves things in the long run.

If the club gets a reputation for sacking managers every other month like Watford, that's a PR problem. Villa wouldn't be anywhere near that even if Gerrard had been sacked last week.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

PR is important, but one must have a long term view. Being criticized for a week isn't a problem if it improves things in the long run.

If the club gets a reputation for sacking managers every other month like Watford, that's a PR problem. Villa wouldn't be anywhere near that even if Gerrard had been sacked last week.

We’d just be the club known for sacking managers during a phase of mourning for the grandmother of one of the clubs most famous supporters who will one day be king.

I personally wouldn’t care either way. But I can understand why the club wouldn’t want to sack him at this time.  What’s a couple of weeks difference going to make in the long term ?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

17 hours ago, imavillan said:

Not being ruthless? The sacking of Dean Smith sure seemed ruthless.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We’d just be the club known for sacking managers during a phase of mourning for the grandmother of one of the clubs most famous supporters who will one day be king.

Maybe it will cheer him up

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

Young is also an ex teammate and is also smart enough in not going to criticize his manager publicly

However on the flipside Leon Bailey hinted in his interview how the players are the ones to blame and not previously showing their best.

Gerrard does seem to talk a good game, the players also seem to be referencing that and buying into it.

Â