Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

25 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

My point wasn't really that 4 points every 2 games wasn't good enough.

It just seems crazy that he's at the point where he keeps having 2 games to save his job. 

Does it just go till he loses a couple? It doesn't seem a healthy approach to a long term plan.

I think you are missing the point.

The only reason he has 1 or two games to save his job is because he’s doing his job so badly. Improve to the level that is expected of him and suddenly he has the rest of his contract without any worry about having to save his job. 

Do as bad as he currently is and really he should already be sacked.  But if he’s not been sacked, then yes he needs an immediate win in the next match to save his job. 

Realistically his stats are currently so bad, he probably needs 5 wins in a row to get to an acceptable level where we stop talking about when he going to get the sack.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TomC said:

No, but I think that the next two could buy him another 6. Again, it depends on more than the result, it depends on what he's doing.

Even if we win the next two we have only 10 points after 8 games, and that isn’t good enough when consider the easy fixture we have had.
If we then lose 2 after that, we are back into the relegation mix. Gerrard needs to win 4-5 in a row to get some sort of breathing space, because of the poor start.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:
1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

What's more important, Villa doing well or your feelings towards Gerrard?

My answer is Aston Villa doing well.

This feels like a question the fans who have spent months absolving Gerrard of plenty of fair criticism need to answer to be honest.

Spot on @Tomaszk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

How are our stats worse when they are bottom of the League and we aren't?

People also need to stop this childish shite.

Are you all genuinely upset that we got a result yesterday and people are happy about it?

Leicester just got pumped by Brighton. " Because we got a point against City ", you make it sound like a City of the Norwich or Birmingham variety. lol

What's more important, Villa doing well or your feelings towards Gerrard?

I don't get it.

" Gerrard is untouchable " how in the f*ck have you surmised that from people being positive about a positive result?

Are we meant to all be moaning non stop again?

What do you actually want here?

Some of you must legit feed off of negativity, in general.

To be fair, a lot of their stats are better despite being bottom. They scored more goals, have more assists, more shots, more shots on target, create more chances etc. Doesn't necessarily mean they've been better than us though. But they need to change the manager, this current relationship has gone stale. We need to change for different reasons, so I'm not even sure why we're comparing to them. One thing I know is if Rodgers lasts til our game, it'll probably be an El Sackico. Whoever loses is out. Lowkey I hope he's sacked before then just in case the buggers happen to beat us 😂

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

Surely, what u have just said suggests this is not his best? There are lots of managers that take some time to adapt. Just look at Arteta now, Gunners fans wanted him and Edu dragged out of Arsenal last season. There are not too many calling for their heads now

He is not Arteta!  This is starting to get ridiculous, for a start, Arteta bloody coaches! 🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

To be fair, a lot of their stats are better despite being bottom. They scored more goals, have more assists, more shots, more shots on target, create more chances etc. Doesn't necessarily mean they've been better than us though. But they need to change the manager, this current relationship has gone stale. We need to change for different reasons, so I'm not even sure why we're comparing to them. One thing I know is if Rodgers lasts til our game, it'll probably be an El Sackico. Whoever loses is out. Lowkey I hope he's sacked before then just in case the buggers happen to beat us 😂

So in essence, we're both shit... But in our own unique ways 😂

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

If we beat Leicester and Rogers is consequently sacked, then we lose the next few games, there is no way I would want Gerrard replaced by Rogers.

That would be insane in my opinion.

Good chance it’ll happen then 😬🙃

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

Nobody with any sense is worried Gerrard will relegate Villa. 

So having slept on it, still want him out.  If we have a sniff of getting Poch in, we should pull the trigger.

Big businesses have to be ruthless, he is not getting us Europe, it’s obvious,  may as well find someone who can now 

• Like 3

On 30/08/2022 at 23:15, VillaParkAvenue said:

I think we’ll probably get at least one point from those, partly because we sometimes perform a bit better when we play on the counter and because football is a strange old game.

I’m sure that point will make some people rethink and SG could end up getting some more time. Until we lose 4-0 to Southampton.

My predictions from Tuesday about the Arsenal and City games and the following reactions holds up well so far. If the 4-0 becomes reality as well I’ll take up betting again.

54 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

Will Gerrard give any of our younger a chance? Bringing on Archer in the 92 minute do not count.

Or should we drop the youth teams and save the money?

At the moment no, or would I expect him to. 

On 22/08/2022 at 23:11, markavfc40 said:

I haven't posted in this thread for probably 4 months but without looking back I'd be confident that I had grave doubts then about Gerrard and those doubts have now turned into me wanting him gone. 

The two main things that you want any manager to improve are results and performances and he is failing miserably on both having now had 31 games in charge. The one area that has improved, after heavy backing, is the quality of the squad which makes his failings in terms of results and performances even more damning. The fact that I can't name one single player whose game has kicked on or performances improved under him is also damning.  

Nine months, 31 games, a full pre season, the best part of two transfer windows and I watch us and I have zero clue what our plan or style of play is. We have no identity. You wouldn't describe us as a high press side, a side that likes to play on the break, a physical side, a team that sits deep, a possession based side. We'll sometimes play two central strikers, one number ten, one sitting midfielder, two sitting midfielders, two narrow 10's, one wide man, two wide men. We frequently look clueless in possession going sideways, backwards then hoofing it and are often out worked and out fought in games. It all suggests we have players not putting a shift in for a clueless manager that is hoping to stumble on something. Feeding into that is his shambolic treatment of Mings and then making John McGinn captain whose character I love but he has too often been playing like a headless chicken over the last year and should not be considered a guaranteed starter. 

Then add in that the club professes to have a strategy of providing a pathway into the team for youth players yet we have seen KKH loaned out, Archer about to be loaned out, Iroegbunam not making the bench this season and Chuckwuemeka sold. I am under no illusions that Gerrard wants quick, relative success as he'll have had more than one eye on moving on in 3 or 4 years so I don't see the development and integration into the first team of youth players as part of his plan. 

There is also a lack of him connecting with us, the supporters. I was disturbed to read after Saturday's game that less than a handful of players went over to greet the supporters at the end of the game and neither our captain or manager bothered. This also apparently happened at Bournemouth. There is a real disconnect building which is very worrying given how long it took to rebuild that connection.  

On so many levels the appointment of Gerrard now feels very wrong and I can see it turning very sour, very quickly. He has got zero good will in the bank as there have been no runs of good results, no runs of good performances, no signs of progress, or of us being anything like a work in progress, and he has no past, or emotional, connection with the club or fans to fall back on. 

32 likes and 9 Thanks

Amazing how so much can change after a draw with Man City.

3 minutes ago, Thug said:

I guarantee you if we were winning games playing great football, the people calling for his head would be his biggest fans.

It’s just a reflection on peoples personalities.

There are no hidden agendas, it is all about the appraisal of someone’s performance.

The fact that we are celebrating a draw with city where we were comfortably second best is testament to how far we have fallen.  It wasn’t long ago when we were going toe to toe with them and only losing because of an unbelievable offside decision that wasn’t given allowing Rodri to rob Mings and score.

And here we are just 2 seasons on, gushing with optimism because we didn’t lose 6-0? 

Just how dire have we been in recent times to be celebrating the fact that we clung on for a point.

Its an extremely positive result, but only relative to where we are now.

Like I’ve said before, I’m delighted we got a point, and the improvement has meant I’m just a little more patient.

But my satisfaction levels have gone from 100% from before losing Grealish, to 70% before sacking smith, to 10% before the city game, to 15% after that draw.

There  may have been an upturn in fortune. But he’s still guided us from 70% to 15% in my eyes.  He’s got a long long long way to go yet, but I would genuinely be delighted for him (and us) if he manages it.

This is pretty much it. He's lowered expectations and optimism at this club, especially curiously among those whose expectations were conspicuously high this time last season. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It wasn’t long ago when we were going toe to toe with them and only losing because of an unbelievable offside decision that wasn’t given allowing Rodri to rob Mings and score.

I think you have your rose tinted specs on. We were absolutely battered in that game and if it wasn't for their poor finishing we would have lost 0-4. In Gerrard's defence, he has come closer to beating Man City than Smith ever did. 

Edited by Made In Aston

Â