Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

All his mates coming out to say to stick with him and defend him. The latest being his best mate carragher.

Why cant they be honest and just highlight his faults so he actually learns something instead of trying to polish a turd and say its the fans being inpatient 

If we saw anything improvement a glimmer then he would have the fans. But the truth  if the matter is we are significantly worse

Well Charles Barkley was and as a result he's no longer friends with Michael Jordan...

10 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

"There are always people who point fingers in this situation but that won't stop me backing myself and believing what I believe in. I won't make drastic changes to what I believe in. This team has shown it is capable. We believe we can get through it and make it turn."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/12688193/steven-gerrard-exclusive-interview-aston-villa-boss-on-erling-haaland-losing-diego-carlos-and-how-he-can-turn-it-all-around?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

10 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Mings hung out to dry again:

”The two goals we conceded - and a lot of goals we have conceded - have been down to individuals." He does not name names in this instance but perhaps he does not have to.

"Showing someone the wrong way rather than on their weaker side." It is easy to conclude that this is a reference to the team's erstwhile captain Tyrone Mings allowing Bukayo Saka to cut inside on his favoured left foot and cross the ball for Gabriel Martinelli's winner.”

And the very next line...

Are you getting up to people and closing them down or are you just getting up to people and pressing with your eyes? It is these little last bits of the defensive detail that you have to get right at the top level because if you don't, the best players in the world will hurt you.

I thought that's what he wanted?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, nick76 said:

Fair enough! I think Gerrard is already half way out the door and there is no way back.  I think a turn around can happen but under a new manager, starting with a new manager bounce and then hopefully the new manager can then get a tune out of these players longer term.  

I’m not sure Gerrard knows how to change, wants to change or can change so I don’t see how the issues on the pitch or the results change enough to head up the table sufficiently to be satisfactory for any of us.

I’m just now waiting on the next manager and hope we get somebody that’s going to help us, has a bit of luck and we can develop under them.  I think behind the scenes the change is being made and will happen over the coming week or two.

Have said before I don’t buy the new manager bounce thing. And if peoples’ preference is Poch as replacement then his starts at saints and spurs look a little slow.

My preference would be we start clicking now, Gerrard stays and achieves targets because we could really do without the upheaval of changing manager again.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

Have said before I don’t buy the new manager bounce thing. And if peoples’ preference is Poch as replacement then his starts at saints and spurs look a little slow.

My preference would be we start clicking now, Gerrard stays and achieves targets because we could really do without the upheaval of changing manager again.

I agree, major upheaval is never good for all sorts of reasons. The problem is I can’t see things just clicking, there are lots of the fundamentals that are just not right. None of us can see a style or direction leading to a point of achievement. 

I understand the advantages of stability over change but I have no faith in the status quo at the moment. Right now that only extends as far as the manager, but the managerial situation could quickly spread to the rest of the club as far as supporters are concerned. I think this is already happening behind closed doors. A very successful and rich businessman told me, if you have anyone in your company that isn’t right, get rid of them very quickly, before the rot spreads. 

56 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

The “new manager bounce” refers to that honeymoon period when literally *any* new manager supposedly gets a run of performances. I’m sceptical about this (I think it’s more that managers usually get replaced after a tough run of fixtures).

But bringing in a *better manager* will almost certainly improve results. That isn’t “new manager bounce”… it’s the new manager being better at his job.

Edited by KentVillan

54 minutes ago, andym said:

Pretty much every goal you concede can be put down to an individual mistake somewhere, but actually having a well coached, organised team that has a setup that suits, limits the opportunities for mistakes to occur.

And funny that i cant remember him bemoaning the indivudual error of a player failing to track a run that lead to the west ham winner, but then that was his captain who apparently is infallible.

True. Nor did he call out Konsa’s attempt to stop Zaha shooting for the first Palace goal.

As somebody else said, most goals are because of an error. The fact the opposition team has the ball in the first place means you’ve given it to them at some point. 

Gerrard should focus on setting the team up so we’re not so open whenever another team attacks us. A good start would be to tell the fullbacks to stop playing as strikers and by dropping both McGinn and Ramsey for Luiz and Dendoncker. 

Go back to basics. Make us hard to beat. O’Neill wasn’t a great manager but we were f***** difficult to beat and he had a game plan. Gerrard plays as if he has the best players in the world at his disposal. 

City will put at least 4 past us today and I’m really hoping that’s the final nail in the coffin. 

• Like 1

"This team has shown it is capable."

... what a **** prick. 

This team has shown the exact opposite. 

It is incapable of beating any team that shows any semblance of form. Because as soon as the opposition gets its tactics right we do not win, and we barely ever draw. 

We do not battle back from losing positions unless the team we are playing is pretty awful

We barely score once the opposition scores. Again showing lack of a plan .

He is on the verge of being the worst manager in our history.  And this isnt a team with Chris Herd Barry Bannan Eric Lichaj  weimann, etc etc. 

This is a team that has had 300 mill spent on it. 

Everything that comes out of this mans mouth is total crap.  Talks a good game. But when it is actual game time. He spouts bollox. 

I still can’t get over how every single player in the squad has got progressively worse since Gerrard came in. Even Martinez isn’t the player he was at the start of last season.

It’s almost as if Gerrard has this strict teacher approach to management and if you **** up he will let you and everyone else know about it. This may have worked 20 years ago when he was at the top of his game as a player, but not now.

I genuinely thought he’d have us playing dynamic football in a budget Klopp kind of way, but he doesn’t actually know how to coach. All he knew at Rangers was to constantly replace players in the squad in the hope that something would click. That’s fine when you are more or less guaranteed top 2 in the league, but you can’t do that in the PL.

Hopefully he is asked to stay behind after the match tonight and told to piss off and go cosy up next to Carragher and Souness as he seems to be great at telling players how crap they are.

• Like 4

Â