Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

When there's wide speculation about an imminent sacking, a club board that supports its embattled manager releases a statement of support. No such statement has appeared.

I'm hoping to see a version of this other kind of "club statement"  by noon GMT on 2 September: 

Ole leaves with our sincerest thanks for his tireless efforts as Manager and our very best wishes for the future blah blah blah ...

Michael Carrick will now take charge of the team for forthcoming games, while the club looks to appoint an interim manager to the end of the season ...

2 minutes ago, Anything11 said:

I don't think he is going as quickly as everyone would like to him to unfortunately.

Any reason why, or just a hunch/worry? Unless I'm mistaken, he's already lowered the bar for poor performance compared to our last several sacked managers.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

Just now, Marka Ragnos said:

Any reason why, or just a hunch/worry? Unless I'm mistaken, he's already lowered the bar for poor performance compared to our last several sacked managers.

Just a hunch.

Although we are a shambles to players are still fighting. Once that changes then it is as good as done. Until then I think he gets some time.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

image.png.bc24676cec8e8bca35b6bc58e92adb0e.png

I love John McGinn and I am so happy he is at this club, I hope he will be for a long time. But if the reason Tyrone needed to be stripped of the Captaincy was to focus on his game then that goes double for McGinn. I didn't see him barking out instructions or lifting the team.

This decision that has harmed the confidence of two of our best players. McGinn and Tyrone. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

I can't think of a good thing Gerrard has done for Villa.

Could we have not signed these players without him? 

I think most would be up for £140k a week contract, irrespective of the manager.

It's been soooooooooooooooo quiet. It really smells like a sacking is in the air. I keep checking everywhere, and just ... silence and foreboding. I wish the club would put us all and Gerrard out of our misery and let us have a chance to move on to a happier Villa era. I'm almost at the point where I'm ready to pity myself, and no one wants to see that. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I can't think of a good thing Gerrard has done for Villa.

Could we have not signed these players without him? 

I think most would be up for £140k a week contract, irrespective of the manager.

It feels right now like one of those really ugly, super unhealthy on-and-off-again romantic breakups where you keep saying you're done, but then you see them somewhere or someone mentions them and it's another gut punch, and you're back to square one.

I suppose it's natural, but I'm feeling so over assessing Gerrard's management skills for the next five years.  I just want the nightmare to end.  
giphy.gif

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

A lot of wishful thinking on here I see. 

Could be, though you can't blame people for that. It definitely feels like he is now on borrowed time, but given the perversity of everything Aston Villa, I'm also willing to entertain the idea that despite us signing Dendoncker and Bednarek without his blessing (if that is what has happened), it is they who keep him in a job for a little bit longer. Let's hope not. 

Edited by Lerner's Driver
  • Like 2

There’s absolutely not a chance he’s sacked yet. He’ll get the City game and then Leicester, lose that and he’ll be gone for sure then because I don’t see how he could possibly stay. 

If he somehow flukes a win well then basically we are ****. 

3 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

imagine how Leicester feel, not been that long since they won the premier league.. still feels weird saying that.

We’d won the league and the European Cup in a similar time scale and managed to get relegated. Leicester aren’t really in our class until they can get proper relegated. Being bottom shows intent and that’s fair enough but they need to up their game, go the extra yard now and keep this form up for the rest of the season. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Farlz said:

There’s absolutely not a chance he’s sacked yet. He’ll get the City game and then Leicester, lose that and he’ll be gone for sure then because I don’t see how he could possibly stay. 

If he somehow flukes a win well then basically we are ****. 

What if we beat Leicester, the worst team in the league?

Will prove nothing. Get him gone on Saturday night.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

imagine how Leicester feel, not been that long since they won the premier league.. still feels weird saying that.

Second we sack the self serving hobbit in charge there will be a big upswing, have no fear. 

If any of you want him as manager, stay well clear of the poisonous dwarf.

7 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

What if we beat Leicester, the worst team in the league?

Will prove nothing. Get him gone on Saturday night.

Well that’s what I mean. If he wins that then we are buggered because he’ll be given far more time than he deserves and will only lead to big trouble. 

• Like 1

Whether it’s because of Purslow I don’t know but I have a horrible feeling he will be given time even if we lose the next 3. 

Then I see Gerard’s body language and going straight down the tunnel and think he knows he’s done for.

Ultimately the team results matter and so do the performances, we are tacticallly shit. 

Â