Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, Nabby said:

Sack now and have a new guy fact City and Arsenal or bring him in against the easier Soton ( though they seem to have hit another winning run they often go on ) and Leicester ...

Sack him Monday, Critchley takes the humping at Arsenal and Citeh, better part of a fortnight arranging the replacement ready for Southampton.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Villarocker said:

I hear what you're saying TRO. Maybe chopping managers all the time isn't the right way? I think that with Gerrard people will become less patient for multiple reasons: 1) Not a very likeable person - miserable git! 2) Liverpool connection 3) Way he used to play against us when a Liverpool player 4) Unknown qty other than winning a two horse race in Scotland 5) His treatment of certain players 6) He came in after Smith so someone without a connection to the club after someone who was Villa through and through etc. However, I believe that most, if not all, of those could be forgiven if we the fans could see some sort of identity in the way we are trying to play. Right now, we look completely out of ideas as a team. I watch us and have no idea what we are trying to do and it just seems like he himself has no ideas. I'd love him to tell us what exactly it is he is trying to get the players to do because I have no clue. 

I had the feeling last season that we were playing like a team that was trying to get the manager sacked. I think I even stated so on here in the Gerrard thread at one point. If that is the case, there's no better time to do that than at the start of the season when there's plenty of time to turn things around under a new manager. I just get the feeling he's pissed too many of them off with the way he is and the way he has gone about things. Now, maybe he is right. Maybe he sees weak players and wants to toughen them up for a fight for success and some aren't up to it. But, unless the club throw plenty of money at him I doubt he will be able to get rid of them and get players in that he does want.

I get the feeling the money has dried up to an extent in order to pay for the rebuild. With that in mind, surely we would be looking for a replacement with an eye on that and would want someone to get the best out of what we already have? I think that man right now would probably be Graham Potter. He is supposedly a Villa fan so they might wish to explore that route again whilst we get through the transitional period of rebuilding the stadium. 

To be honest, I think all any real fan wants is to get some entertainment for their money. Right now, we certainly aren't getting value for money from our team in terms of what they putting on show. 

Very good post. My less rational side is  less inclined  to be patient with Gerrard for all the reasons you  cite above. However, it would all be forgiven if we got either results of decent football. Hell, if we even put up decent performances in a losing cause  I'd  be prepared to think he deserved more time.  

The difference with someone like Howe is that his poor form was at the beginning of his tenure when there was a lot to sort out. Gerrard has now had a decent amount of time to do that, so unless performances and results improve and quickly,  his position deserves to be under threat

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TRO said:

whether, he goes or stays, this is not going to turn around quickly.

This is another survival year, like it of lump it.

That's why I would be tempted to keep him until we have a better choice of managers and a better team of football experts to pick him. We can't go on being effectively rudderless ,in football terms , at the very top of the club.

I might have miscalculated but i think Gerrard has had 31 prem games with Villa.

Of whicb we have won 10 drawn 5 and lost 16.

And here is where i think it becomes interesting

We have only gained the following points once we have gone behind in a game.

Manure 2-2 h .. 1 point

Leeds 3-3 h .. 1 point

Burnley 1-1 h .. 1 point

Leicester 2-1 h ...3 points

And We have only scored 11 goals once the opposition go ahead in those games which confirms what i thought. We only win if the opposition play poorly. If they get ahead then thats it. They are likely to win because we can offer no plan B to get something out of a game. 

Those 10 wins 

Brighton at home - potter was unhappy with the poor performance

Palace away .. viera v unhappy about their v poor performance

Leicester ... leicester terrible from set pieces 

Norwich a .. deano v unhappy about how poor they played

Everton .. big dunc in charge and we won 1 nil only with them battering us 2nd half 

Brighton A .. v poor performance from Brighton again in the middle of a huge form slump.

southampton H .. one of their worst performances of the season

leeds A .. jesse march first home game with them at sixes and sevens .. 

norwich h ... norwich were only still up mathematically

burnley .. .. their worst performance once Dyche had left. 

No creativity , no plan b     no top 6 scalps , no resilience once winning against half decent teams , and  no fight once losing. 

pretty damning evidence ( apologies if i have miscalulated any numbers ) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I might have miscalculated but i think Gerrard has had 31 prem games with Villa.

Manure 2-2 h .. 1 point

Leeds 3-3 h .. 1 point

Burnley 1-1 h .. 1 point

And We have only scored 11 goals once the opposition go ahead in those games which confirms what i thought. We only win if the opposition play poorly. If they get ahead then thats it. They are likely to win because we can offer no plan B to get something out of a game. 

Those 10 wins 

Everton .. big dunc in charge and we won 1 nil only with them battering us 2nd half 

Brighton A .. v poor performance from Brighton again in the middle of a huge form slump.

No creativity , no plan b     no top 6 scalps , no resilience once winning against half decent teams , and  no fight once losing. 

Yes - the 'system' requires control of games as if he expects all the other teams to set up in a low block and defend for their lives like they did against Rangers.

Can't seem to get into his head that the Villa squad is mid-table and not a squad that is going to be expected to dominate the whole game. Once the other team is ahead, more or less draw the curtains with the system and their slow/slow/slow passing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Yes - the 'system' requires control of games as if he expects all the other teams to set up in a low block and defend for their lives like they did against Rangers.

Can't seem to get into his head that the Villa squad is mid-table and not a squad that is going to be expected to dominate the whole game. Once the other team is ahead, more or less draw the curtains with the system and their slow/slow/slow passing.

Seems that his assistants do not have the balls they need to challenge him on this.

16 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Manure 2-2 h .. 1 point

Leeds 3-3 h .. 1 point

Burnley 1-1 h .. 1 point

Those 10 wins 

Good post. It would be interesting to see the equivalent stats for Gerrard's games in charge of Rangers. How often did they have to come from being a goal (or more) behind? Probably not too often, would be my guess. 

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Good post. It would be interesting to see the equivalent stats for Gerrard's games in charge of Rangers. How often did they have to come from being a goal (or more) behind? Probably not too often, would be my guess. 

To be fair - statistically most teams will lose after giving up the 1st goal but here they are

19/20 - SPL - conceded first 7 times - 3W-2D-2L

20/21 - SPL - conceded first 3 times - 3D

20/22 - SPL prior to leaving - conceded first 6 times - 4W-1D-1L

So his record isn't too shabby going behind with Rangers - but they were by far the better team for every match bar 1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Purslow was so quick to tap up his mate when Smith was getting sacked, I hope he's keeping the same energy right now.

Question: Why TF did we give this amateur such a lucrative contract? Why is he (and what has he done to deserve being) our highest paid manager ever?

What an absolute joke, I’m so sickened by it all. Stupid decision.

I hate what he’s done to our club… the sooner he’s gone, the better… 

Time to clean up the damage…

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Good post @StefanAVFC 👏

Gerrard is a saboteur, not a manager. He should publish a dossier on how not to do it. Feels like he’s absolutely destroyed the place, and when he gets sacked; what does he care; its not his club. Everything that has transpired has left me infuriated; and I actually wasnt against him at the start, I thought it could work.

He hasn’t endeared himself to us fans at all, in any way. Utterly destroyed and dismantled everything that was positive and exciting about our club.

One of the worst decisions we have made…

😡

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

I think that’s what bothers a lot of Villa fans to be fair - that lack of connection. We always knew his first love will always be Liverpool but there’s literally nothing there between him and us. 

It's mostly the results, performances and "tactics" I'd suspect.

• Like 3

Had results gone our way I'm sure the Mings/McGinn captaincy could be explained away more easily. Right now it sticks out so badly, I believe the cool kids call this a red flag. It has damaged the fabric of the squad, it devalues Mings as a leader and a footballer, it has upset the apple cart for a lot of fans and rewarded McGinn for his inconsistency.

I've been thinking this morning what will my breaking point be? Is it shifting Luiz or signing Moura or the bad results or the lack of any clear tactics? I keep returning to the same thing. Taking the captaincy from Mings is the straw that broke this camel's back. Let alone the **** dross we see week in week out.

• Like 1

The coutinho vanity project is everyyhing wrong with him . He came on and said he knew Phil. He knows what he can do and he can get him playing back to near his best. 

The problem is that phil has been coasting for 4 years. Its nigh on impossible to get the killer mentality back after 4 years of coasting on 20 mill a year . I am sure Phil felt he could do it . Did Gerrard look into his eyes and see that though ? 

1 goal and no assists in 17 games. No brilliant moves . No edge of your seat excitement. 

He is simply not a playmaker and never was . But now he doesnt even have the ability to create special moments. In 8 months here i would say the pass to ramsey against leeds for the first goal. The pass across goal while running backwards for Luiz to score against Southampton.  And the Man city goal last game of the season which was scored with an outrageous first touch  . Other than that all we get is hip wiggles and pointless flicks. 

No long distance shots or freekicks which were his trademark any more. 

This whole purchase is on him. I am sure the data guys would have looked at his stats last season and seen no progress whatsoever. But for some reason we jumped and bought him . 

So nothing from phil and even worse that comes at the detriment of Buendias playing time who consistently finds key passes and consistently gets in the game, and doesnt go missing. He might be a bit shit sometimes but he is always trying to create. 

When he came i was happy. When he started i was happy he made us hard to beat. But since then . I see through his words. He is Purslow in a jumper. But in a role where you need not to be like your boss. 

• Like 1

Â