Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

2 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

I actually think this is why he was dropped in first game.  Had a run in with Gerard.  In fairness to a manager, you have to show authority if you are approached in wrong way by a player.

I doubt Ty actually did anything wrong. SG seems the type to get annoyed at even being questioned, no matter how polite or relevant that question may have been…

49 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Respect to Ty if he has actually called this clown out behind the scenes and questioned him. Maybe he hurt SG’s ego and has been punished for it… that could have happened some time ago…

I have no idea what the truth is or whether there is any unrest or any form of it behind the scenes, but I would not be surprised at all. SG seems to be as abrasive as they come…

From the outside looking in, it doesn’t really appear to be a very happy camp...

If we're sick of SG's soundbites that hold no weight, just imagine how much faith the players will have lost.

15 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

If we're sick of SG's soundbites that hold no weight, just imagine how much faith the players will have lost.

Fair point.

We are unable to put any words into action, largely because the players are hindered by the ineptitude of the so called manager…

Surely it’s SG’s call and insistence that we continue with the hoofball and, worst of all, persist with the aimless and mindless crossing…

It’s mental that he is actively making us a worse team… absolutely shocking. We are one of the very worst teams in this league, how embarrassing is that?

Our captain is our worst player 🤦‍♂️

I’m sure a few of them are looking at that with raised eyebrows, at the very least.

I imagine that the likes of Kamara and Luiz are frustrated at having to play alongside such a slow and clumsy player…

Ok SG, you’ve appointed him captain but then you’ve e got to make sure you’re getting the best out of him. A captain is supposed to lead (at least by example) and inspire his teammates - this guy is absolutely pathetic at it. He’s clearly out of his depth, overwhelmed and simply not cut out for that role. Much like the manager, but John’s not quite that bad…

He’s a fairly absent and quiet captain too… I don’t think he’s fronted up or even spoken once since he was given that armband… instead we throw players like Konsa and Chambers in front of the camera? WTF?

Btw, he’s only ever won one game and lost the rest (total of 8 I think) whenever he’s been captain… wow.

The first thing I’d want any new manager to do is appoint a new captain or restore the previous one…

1 hour ago, mykeyb said:

Leeds 

Yeah, that sounds about right...if it's not tomorrow or Tuesday, they'll give him until Leeds. No point in firing him after Arsenal and Man City...you already have a pretty good idea of how those are going now. They'll either do it now or give him a few after. Leicester, Soton, Leeds, and Forest is a stretch of four winnable matches...they'll let him have until Leeds, and if things still look dire after Leicester, Soton, and Leeds, they'll give the new manager Forest as his first match rather than Chelsea.

I probably held on too long but he must go at this point. The signs were there last season but I thought with a preseason and some signings, we'd see what a Gerrard managed side can do. 

Well we have and it's shit. Dogshit performances, zero cohesion, can't score, can't defend, confidence very low. We've played 4 bottom half teams and been battered 3 times. 

Gerrard has to go. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, avfc1982am said:

I think he'll be gone after the city game at the latest bar a miracle. I think a few others might be running for cover by then too. No way do we let him lose the next 5 or so games before sacking his ass.

That came could be beyond messy. Would not be at all surprised to see us ship 6 or 7.

SG clearly has leadership abilities; we never hear anyone complaining about him as a captain. He clearly has intelligence. Why, I ask myself, does an intelligent man who played at a top club, who has probably read countless of the 15-page tactical dossiers that they give players these days, not understand tactics?

Then I realized...it's one thing to understand tactics that someone else chose; it's another thing to have the judgment to choose the right tactics. If it were easy, any of us could be manager right now. I just don't see that judgment in SG right now. Maybe he'll come good after more seasoning at a lower level, but I just don't see anything to convince me that he was ready for the PL Although relegation is highly unlikely, I don't think that the owners are going to give to risk it, or give him a year or two of "seasoning" here. They've invested too much and they want to win.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TomC said:

SG clearly has leadership abilities; we never hear anyone complaining about him as a captain. He clearly has intelligence. Why, I ask myself, does an intelligent man who played at a top club, who has probably read countless of the 15-page tactical dossiers that they give players these days, not understand tactics?

Then I realized...it's one thing to understand tactics that someone else chose; it's another thing to have the judgment to choose the right tactics. If it were easy, any of us could be manager right now. I just don't see that judgment in SG right now. Maybe he'll come good after more seasoning at a lower level, but I just don't see anything to convince me that he was ready for the PL Although relegation is highly unlikely, I don't think that the owners are going to give to risk it, or give him a year or two of "seasoning" here. They've invested too much and they want to win.

This assessment seems realistic and very credibly dispassionate to me. I like it.

But I'm not sure it even matters why SG doesn't seem to be working out except, well, we're on a football message board, and if you can't overthink shit here, where can you lol? 

Reading this thread is at times like reading the private diary of a sixteen-year-old neurotic trying to figure out why they need to break up with their boyfriend -- a sixteen year old who is by turns weepy, angry, and sticking needles in the boyfriend's photograph. Who ****-ing cares why it's not a good match? Let the philosophers and therapists handle that one. It's so much managerial navel-gazing, and we see how much that has helped Man United.  

It's not working. Doesn't matter why. Don't need to work out all the nuances of how we got here. We're here. We need to stop the rot. 

Bye-bye Steve, if you're going. Best wishes. Next, please ... 

I also don't find the "Stevie's destroyed us" posts too helpful, personally. It's like we're supposed to accept penance for how bad we were to support the manager we had no ****-ing say in choosing. **** that cack, man. Once Stevie's gone, I hope we won't keep looking back. I'm not going to go around with a hair-shirt because I supported our duly appointed manager.  

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

If he doesn't get the sack before Arse, then somehow (I know, I know) wins that, then somehow draws against Man City (I know, I know), I'm going to have to roast myself a big black crow and dine mightily, and I don't think I'll be alone.

I think there's probably more of a chance that I'll grow hair on my bald scalp or wake up tomorrow with an extra testicle.

But anything's possible, right? 

Edited by Marka Ragnos

Â