Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

No chance. They have set their stall out in getting him, esp Purslow.

I’d imagine Sawiris and Edens can be quite convincing if they are not happy with what they are seeing. Purslow will have to pull the trigger himself. We can’t go two months with less than 10 points - that’s even if we manage to get any at all. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

No chance. They have set their stall out in getting him, esp Purslow.

I agree, but if we don't have a win after 5 matches he'll at the very least get the dreaded vote of confidence!

Also another 2 defeats and the majority of the fans will turn on him, by then the writing is on the wall.

The Everton game is a huge one for him! Win and all this becomes pie in the sky, lose and the scales are tipping to oblivion.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I suppose the easiest way to judge it, we're worse than the sum of our parts. Playing a 4 2 3 1 the players know and are effective in and we'll be the sum of our parts.

Ideally we need to be more than the sum of our parts. I do worry there is division in the dressing room. The people Gerrard doesn't want are essentially cast aside and that's causing some unrest which can be impacting the team. 

We'll see quite quickly as the performances over the next 3 games will tell us everything. 

We don't know about this, but if it were true, whose fault is this? Shouldn't it be the manager's job to get everyone onside and on board? Alienating players then pointing the finger at them for not "buying in" seems like a copout to be honest, and I don't think we should entertain it. This is a good group of guys, who presumably had their amiable qualities specifically scouted out. They shouldn't be thrown under the bus imo.

• Like 1

I reckon Gerrard will get at least 10 games to be judged on this season.

I also don’t think Purslow will have any issue in sacking Gerrard, I imagine he is very cut throat, especially as he is a stake holder too.

• Like 1

As much as it saddens me - under Dean Smith, we had become a mid-table premier league team. That's much better than when he took over, and I'm forever grateful.
We had one of England's brightest talents, we smashed Liverpool 7-2, we were improving and had rich, amazing owners - but somehow we were still miles off where we wanted to be. Time would not have solved that I fear.

Somehow - appointing Gerrard changed our stature. We were signing Coutinho; then Kamara; then Diego Carlos. We were much more visible - even if results didn't show.
If we'd gone for (say) Graham Potter - I think we'd have improved as a team, but would we have improved the status of the club? 

Not exactly sure what I trying to say - maybe I just hate modern football! 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

As much as it saddens me - under Dean Smith, we had become a mid-table premier league team. That's much better than when he took over, and I'm forever grateful.
We had one of England's brightest talents, we smashed Liverpool 7-2, we were improving and had rich, amazing owners - but somehow we were still miles off where we wanted to be. Time would not have solved that I fear.

Somehow - appointing Gerrard changed our stature. We were signing Coutinho; then Kamara; then Diego Carlos. We were much more visible - even if results didn't show.
If we'd gone for (say) Graham Potter - I think we'd have improved as a team, but would we have improved the status of the club? 

Not exactly sure what I trying to say - maybe I just hate modern football! 

Think I know what you are trying to say.

As I've said a few times, most people think from a purely emotional standpoint as fans, but at the end of the day, it's a business which includes medium to long term strategy.

Both the profile of player and Manager has gotten higher.

In a roundabout way, even if Gerrard fails/is sacked, we now have better tools and profile to attract better Managers and players.

Sometimes things " get worse before they get better " unfortunately.

I have ultimate faith in the owners and board, they won't get every decision right, but the trajectory will generally remain upwards IMO, even if not immediately reflected on the pitch.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wurzel said:

Damning. Things need to change.

Could have told you this last season and nothing has changed.

I can't grasp the logic." Hmm when I drop my favourite players and my favourite shape we play better or when I sub my favourite players we instantly improve."

Next game. Starts the same shape and same players.

He must be a legitimate moron.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Making McGinn captain shows Gerrard doesn't see this. He probably wants to push Ramsey out of the team. Which if true doesn't look good for the young players. 

Ramsey to me seems to be one of Gerrard’s favourites, which is reasonable since he is such a great talent. The problem IMO is that because SG loves McGinn and Ramsey, they end up playing together most games despite being a bad midfield combination.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

It won’t be that soon. Leicester game at the earliest I reckon.

Most if not all Premier League sackings this season will be made at the beginning of international breaks.

The first opportunity is after the Southampton game on September 26th. The next is at the start of the World Cup break, after the Brighton game on November 12th.

1 hour ago, Philosopher said:

If you look at our defence, all stand at 5'11 at a minimum.  Carlos, Konsa, Cash are all 6 foot. Kamara is 6 foot, Ramsey is 5'11. We don't have a puny team. What we lacked on Saturday is someone huge to counter Moore, aggression, and attitude! A footballing team can run rings around Bournemouth, but not if they concede soft goals, and don't play football. 

Soft early goals is a feature, lacking patience and calmness in possession is also a feature under Gerrard's stewardship. This comes down to coaching and approaching games with the right attitude. Size is not at the heart of  Saturday's performance.

I’d agree and Gerrard has successfully identified that we have a weak mentality. The problem is that his approach to sorting it out isn’t, certainly not at the moment, working. Management and players all need to be pulling in the same direction. If they don’t then ultimately the manager generally pays with his job but players causing unrest is totally unprofessional.  We’ve seen it before under Houlier and ironically Gary Mac. I wonder if he’s playing a part in the stirrings of unrest?

4 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’d agree and Gerrard has successfully identified that we have a weak mentality. The problem is that his approach to sorting it out isn’t, certainly not at the moment, working. Management and players all need to be pulling in the same direction. If they don’t then ultimately the manager generally pays with his job but players causing unrest is totally unprofessional.  We’ve seen it before under Houlier and ironically Gary Mac. I wonder if he’s playing a part in the stirrings of unrest?

Mings is opinionated and my guess is Gerrard doesn't like that. This can rub people up the wrong way. But he is also intelligent and well mannered. Strong characters are opinionated, leaders are opinionated. Sometimes such characters clash, this is what is happening with Mings and Gerrard.

But how can we not be switched on at the start of games, it's a managers job to send his players out there focused and with some fire in their bellies. I don’t believe we have a dressing room of bad apples. Deano's thing was bringing in good characters. Players focused on improving themselves. I really feel this is on Gerrard and his team. 

• Like 2

Even F365 thinks (knee-jerkingly) that he should go with a worse win rate than Lampard and a points total worthy of the lower half of the table. 😅

3) Steven Gerrard will be sacked…
The eye-catching aspect of Aston Villa’s transfer business under Steven Gerrard is the near-£80m spend sanctioned in less than a year. But a closer look at the signings made perhaps betrays the manager’s intentions.

Football365 top ten

Edited by daft

17 minutes ago, daft said:

Even F365 thinks (knee-jerkingly) that he should go with a worse win rate than Lampard and a points total worthy of the lower half of the table. 😅

Football365 top ten

They’re at least right about the fanbases. Lampard still seems popular with Everton fans (why I do not know) and will most likely stay longer than SG.

• Like 1

I can’t remember being annoyed over a game at the weekend this much. The signs it was coming were there over pre season, especially against Rennes, and for large parts of 2022. But it was ok because it was just pre season. Now it’s ok because it’s only the first game of the season. There’s no excuse for being 10 months into a job and your team performing like we did at the weekend. Eddie how has to be used as a comparison, and it’s night and day they jobs they’ve done. Some people will say he lost Michael beale, I wasn’t impressed by anything he’d done anyway. Now We’re left hoping Neil Critchleys going to sort this team out for him, how sustainable can that be. Or let’s throw more money at it and hope something happens. His treatment of the Mings situation has been shocking, and brought some unwanted media attention to it which is the last thing he needed. Every week he comes across well in his interviews, but every week we see the same things reoccur on the pitch. His favouritism of some players, some underperforming or just used incorrectly is costing us points. The result,  team selection and tactics at the weekend is genuinely frightening. It won’t be long before we’ve players who should be used pushing for moves due to lack of game time or watching underperforming players in their position start every week. The main one being Buendia. He has to be fighting for his job the next 4/5 games. 

• Like 3

Â