Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

As opposed to who? Top 6 aside who’s exciting in the league ? I’m not comparing I’m just trying to understand what constitutes as exciting football. 

Not comparing to anybody, just my experience of football past and present.  I love football, have all my life and obviously been a Villa fan all my life.  We (Villa) go through periods or seasons of entertaining football, boring football and mostly ok football.  Being a Villa fan, I tend to be on the rosy side of our football because of the bond I have with the Villa.  I’m finding the football mostly…let’s say the majority of the games we play a bit dire to watch.  There have obviously been worse seasons by far but so far the majority of football has been dour imo under Gerrard.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yeah I would say we are.  Maybe because our record was poor last season but we aren’t an exciting to watch at all at the moment.

The VP crowd didn't seem enthused last season. The atmosphere was terrible at times.

Tbf when a new manager comes in his first job is to tighten things up. Which Stevie G did - bit dissapointing we seemed to regress after that. Especially with 2 top notch players like Countinho and Digne added.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Not comparing to anybody, just my experience of football past and present.  I love football, have all my life and obviously been a Villa fan all my life.  We (Villa) go through periods or seasons of entertaining football, boring football and mostly ok football.  Being a Villa fan, I tend to be on the rosy side of our football because of the bond I have with the Villa.  I’m finding the football mostly…let’s say the majority of the games we play a bit dire to watch.  There have obviously been worse seasons by far but so far the majority of football has been dour imo under Gerrard.

Fair enough. I’ve enjoyed going again. Actually got a result against United and gave City and Liverpool a game. (Even tho lost).

I guess each to their own.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I get fans respond to how a team is playing but it can work both ways. VP is very negative at times.

It’s true, I agree with that.  Saying that, following Villa around the country I reckon that can be said for most teams.  We struggle because we aren’t strong at home, Villa Park hasn’t been a fortress for a very long time.  Fans need to play their part but so do the players/management.  Gerrard needs either to get better results at home or at least make it more enjoyable for the fans.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, andym said:

I'm hoping he actually practices what he preaches this season.

No good saying things like 'you have to earn the shirt' and 'if you take your chance you keep it', and then doing things like picking McGinn every single game no matter what, and benching Buendia immediately after he wins you 3 points.

There was plenty of BS last season. But he does deliver it excellently.

Hoping the "no excuses" is wheeled out again, something I quite liked. We have the tools to be 6th-9th.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

We could have done that with the last manager. 

There's no point in sacking Dean and bringing Gerrard in if we aren't aiming to finish much higher. 

The move we've made is pretty much unique. We've appointed an old school manager who sits at the top and signs everything off other people do.

Aside from the media commitments, he's doing the job of a director of football at plenty of other clubs. Clubs that have a head coach that looks after the first team. Doubt there's many directors of football in the world on over £1m a year let alone £5m. How pleasant for the fella.

He is very good at said media commitments though. Enjoyed the Utd pre-match as usual.

I appreciate your work so far, and want to thank you for drawing in the likes of Carlos, Kamara and Coutinho. I suggest a pivot in your job role, Sporting Director sounds more applicable to your skillset.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AV82 said:

I appreciate your work so far, and want to thank you for drawing in the likes of Carlos, Kamara and Coutinho. I suggest a pivot in your job role, Sporting Director sounds more applicable to your skillset.

Egg on my face IF he decides to act on that much improved second half. Change it up dude, I want you to succeed.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

He gets till after the world Cup before I start being too critical. But it's a worry that major issues from last season continue to be major issues in pre season. 

Agree.

But even a slight improvement gets us 10th. We should be able to easily beat the lesser sides in the Prem.

Â