Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

30 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It does help having a full pre season and starting in August though in fairness to Gerrard. Viera has had the time to change the style of Palace's play because of that. I would like to see similar e changes for 22/23 for us.

Pre Season Training will probably start late June - Early July.

Season kicks off on Aug 6 

Not an awful lot of time for a revolution. 

For context it's a much shorter time - than Gerrard has been here so far.

34 minutes ago, hippo said:

1 trophy in 3 seasons in Scotland - a league where Livingston & st mirren win trophies .

It's more the connections with Purslow - who is a big Liverpool fan 

Didn't he manage Rangers to their first league title in 10 years, undefeated, as well as getting Rangers into the Quarter-Final of the Europa League? Aren't we also the 8th best team in the PL since he took over?

I'm not sure what was expected of him in his short time as manager, but so far he has upgraded both the LB and CAM areas of the squad. The former of which is actually playing really well after settling in a bit more.

Dean Smith didn't get much out of this squad during the start of the season, and the player's are the common denominator here. We've had so many opportunities under Gerrard to do even better than the 8th best team we currently are with him as manager. We've had games against Spurs, Liverpool and Burnley where there were numerous opportunities to pickup more points than we managed to. Gerrard cannot be held responsible for Ings missing all those chances, or maybe he is in some fans eyes for some random reason.

Now, it is fair to say that when we have been shite under Gerrard, we have been really shite, but there is no guarantee that any other manager would have made us more consistent so far.

We have taken a big risk bringing Gerrard in as manager, but it's too early to tell if that risk will pay off or not. He has backed himself into a corner by more or less saying that the squad isn't good enough and it will be changed quite a bit in the summer, and there will be no excuses next season.

However, we have the same midfield, apart from Ramsey, and the same CB's as when we nearly got relegated in our first season back. That was when we also had Grealish.

The spine of the squad is inconsistent, and everyone knows what needs upgrading (and has for a couple of years), before it's completely fair to judge a new manager.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

We’ve gambled on an elite player becoming an elite manager. I understand why we’ve done this because of where we were last October time.

I don't understand it at all! It makes no sense. We're off playing the slots when the poker tables are there for us.

Why not get a really good up and coming coach? They have a far better chance of developing into a top manager than someone who was a good player.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Didn't he manage Rangers to their first league title in 10 years, undefeated, as well as getting Rangers into the Quarter-Final of the Europa League? Aren't we also the 8th best team in the PL since he took over?

I'm not sure what was expected of him in his short time as manager, but so far he has upgraded both the LB and CAM areas of the squad. The former of which is actually playing really well after settling in a bit more.

Dean Smith didn't get much out of this squad during the start of the season, and the player's are the common denominator here. We've had so many opportunities under Gerrard to do even better than the 8th best team we currently are with him as manager. We've had games against Spurs, Liverpool and Burnley where there were numerous opportunities to pickup more points than we managed to. Gerrard cannot be held responsible for Ings missing all those chances, or maybe he is in some fans eyes for some random reason.

Now, it is fair to say that when we have been shite under Gerrard, we have been really shite, but there is no guarantee that any other manager would have made us more consistent so far.

We have taken a big risk bringing Gerrard in as manager, but it's too early to tell if that risk will pay off or not. He has backed himself into a corner by more or less saying that the squad isn't good enough and it will be changed quite a bit in the summer, and there will be no excuses next season.

However, we have the same midfield, apart from Ramsey, and the same CB's as when we nearly got relegated in our first season back. That was when we also had Grealish.

The spine of the squad is inconsistent, and everyone knows what needs upgrading (and has for a couple of years), before it's completely fair to judge a new manager.

All of the above is true.

The question can he drastically turn it around in a few weeks over summer.  

Having read the chat the past couple of hours there is definitely a divide with Gerrard being our manager.  Some using his Liverpool links as a negative....some as a positive.

I am too disappointed in finishing 14th, considering the gap to Wolves in 8th is only two wins.

I think, like last season when we went on a bad run from Jan and slipped down the table, its been another year of missed opportunities.....finish top half...maybe a european place.  

If we are to blame or point the finger at anyone its everyone.....Gerrard has made mistakes....yes he has....subs.....starting 11.....maybe shape in some games.......BUT at the same time the players ultimately have to take responsibility.....I have looked back at some of the misses.....the endless giving the ball away...not making a 10 yard passes...is Gerrard at fault for that....no.

For me, the season was over the moment Smith left and Gerrard came in....only in  sense it would be another season of transition....both players and manager finding their feet. There have been some good moments....some good periods of play and at the same day....some absolute shockers....some of the youth coming through.

So....we are where we are...midtable...couple of points...top half 10th.

Gerrard needs a summer to bring in his players and install his methods in to all the players....if it doesnt work then its on his head....he inherited a team that wasnt his and if honest....some players not up to the standard of top half of the league.

14th is disappointing...but I watched te game last night and I didnt think....s$%t...we are going to struggle again next season...there is something there to build on...a starter for 10....with a good summer....with better players (hopefully) coming in.....then we can then judge both team and manager.

UTV

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Oh I agree losing Grealish was a factor but things like Covid as well that knocked us over in that January and never recovered.  No way can the second half of the season not be because Jack was out, it started going down hill before he got injured.  That first half of season was awesome throughout the team with Jack our star player but there were 10 other players flying then that we have only seen flashes since under both managers.  We still got 55 points last season which seems to get sniffed at too much on the website.

Last season was great, and I would never dispute that.

I guess, in my head, I feel that one poor season, followed by one great season, then one poor season, is a huge sign of inconsistency.

Our squad is littered with inconsistency, and it’s up to the manager to fix that.

I don’t see how any manager could do that with this squad without significant investment in key areas, which Gerrard should be given.

The question is whether or not you trust him to do that.

11 minutes ago, Bazmonkey said:

Having read the chat the past couple of hours there is definitely a divide with Gerrard being our manager.  Some using his Liverpool links as a negative....some as a positive.

I am too disappointed in finishing 14th, considering the gap to Wolves in 8th is only two wins.

I think, like last season when we went on a bad run from Jan and slipped down the table, its been another year of missed opportunities.....finish top half...maybe a european place.  

If we are to blame or point the finger at anyone its everyone.....Gerrard has made mistakes....yes he has....subs.....starting 11.....maybe shape in some games.......BUT at the same time the players ultimately have to take responsibility.....I have looked back at some of the misses.....the endless giving the ball away...not making a 10 yard passes...is Gerrard at fault for that....no.

For me, the season was over the moment Smith left and Gerrard came in....only in  sense it would be another season of transition....both players and manager finding their feet. There have been some good moments....some good periods of play and at the same day....some absolute shockers....some of the youth coming through.

So....we are where we are...midtable...couple of points...top half 10th.

Gerrard needs a summer to bring in his players and install his methods in to all the players....if it doesnt work then its on his head....he inherited a team that wasnt his and if honest....some players not up to the standard of top half of the league.

14th is disappointing...but I watched te game last night and I didnt think....s$%t...we are going to struggle again next season...there is something there to build on...a starter for 10....with a good summer....with better players (hopefully) coming in.....then we can then judge both team and manager.

UTV

Good post.

Also to one of your points, even before the start of the season, I did say some people would need to temper their expectations.

We signed brilliantly on paper, which excited alot of people. However I did say it would be a season of transition, AGAIN , but we would eventually come out a better all round outfit 

So you're correct, everyone from top to bottom deserves a bit of blame.

However, everyone predicting doom, I reckon are forgetting that we have brilliant owners and board, so many of the comparisons to eras of Sherwood, Lambert, McLeish etc are a bit misleading.

If SG doesn't match expectations he will be gone, and I'm confident a stronger squad and spine will be left behind.

This era is totally different for a.multitude of reasons. We are arguably stronger as a whole club, than we have been for probably 10 - 15 years? Regardless of League placing.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

I have to admit I am glad I’m optimistic about Gerrard. I couldn’t handle supporting us with the mindset he is the wrong man and is ultimately going to fail. It was like that under Bruce and I hated it. 

So I feel for the fans that feel the same way about Gerrard. It ain’t a nice experience.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Bazmonkey said:

Gerrard and his staff basically decide everything. How the team is set up, if we play out from the back or not, direct style or slower build-up, press or sit back out of possession, in transitions speed up or slow down, what parts of the pitch we try to create overloads. More passes are misplaced when distances between players are longer which depends on the set-up. Players usually try and do what they're told, and quality players can do a better job following instructions. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Why not get a really good up and coming coach? They have a far better chance of developing into a top manager than someone who was a good player.

We have gone out and obtained a really good up and coming coach! A little patience and you’ll see next season.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

We have gone out and obtained a really good up and coming coach! A little patience and you’ll see next season.

To add, some of you are acting like Purslow has bought in some two bit chancer off the street.  Honestly, it’s ridiculous.  

25 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

I meant hands on coach sorry. Not old school 'manager'. Someone who can shape a team and we aren't vulnerable if members of the backroom decide to leave.

Do you think we'd have hired him if it was Kenny Miller or Kris Boyd who had managed Rangers for three seasons? He wouldn't have even got a phone call.

He's here on reputation as a player and the CEO's love of that player. It's a very old school appointment, jobs for the boys stuff. Thought we'd moved past that as a club.

We'll get better next season as we're going to spend a lot of money. I hope the improvement is so stark we aren't left wondering if we're underachieving.

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

It’s obvious from his statements that Gerrard has had enough of certain players and the individual mistakes made. The upgrades are much needed as much as we can hope to actually try and sell off some deadwood 

• Like 1

I decided to look at the 7 game average xG for and against under Gerrard and difference between them. This is where xG and xGA are most useful as removes individual variations. As if we create more goal scoring chances than we concede we should win more games over a season. We've shown progress that's for sure and I really think the "bad luck" / "individual errors" are the reason we have not got the points we've deserved over the course of his time as head coach

image.thumb.png.be76a98059792a3b56e650f27b6977f5.png

xG xGA Diff
0.94 1.34 -0.40
1.01 1.36 -0.34
1.24 1.37 -0.13
1.20 1.43 -0.23
1.17 1.50 -0.33
1.17 1.21 -0.04
1.11 1.30 -0.19
1.20 0.99 0.21
1.41 1.01 0.40
1.33 0.90 0.43
1.39 0.90 0.49
1.19 0.81 0.37
1.43 0.91 0.51
1.47 0.90 0.57
1.39 0.87 0.51
1.33 0.84 0.49
1.39 1.06 0.33
1.40 1.14 0.26
1.49 1.14 0.34
1.37 1.20

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

I don't understand it at all! It makes no sense. We're off playing the slots when the poker tables are there for us.

Gerrard was viewed as a good up and coming coach though. I'm not sure on himself myself at all but people are talking as if he was only hired because of his playing ability. He was recruited on the basis of his coaching potential and perceived mentality.

Edited by Tom13

26 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I meant hands on coach sorry. Not old school 'manager'. Someone who can shape a team and we aren't vulnerable if members of the backroom decide to leave.

Do you think we'd have hired him if it was Kenny Miller or Kris Boyd who had managed Rangers for three seasons? He wouldn't have even got a phone call.

He's here on reputation as a player and the CEO's love of that player. It's a very old school appointment, jobs for the boys stuff. Thought we'd moved past that as a club.

We'll get better next season as we're going to spend a lot of money. I hope the improvement is so stark we aren't left wondering if we're underachieving.

I really disagree. I honestly think we’ve made a very forward thinking appointment. How do you know he’s not a “hands-on” coach? I believe he is and some of the limited training videos we’ve seen show this.

Why would he be vulnerable if someone like Beale left? His contacts in the game will mean he’ll just get someone else in. 

No we wouldn’t have taken Miller or Boyd because I’ve already answered the question in that we’ve gambled on a elite player becoming an elite manager. Obviously what Purslow has seen from afar suggested to him that Gerrard was doing very well in his early managerial career and worth the gamble. Any manager bought in would be a gamble and sadly we weren’t in a position last year to bring in a Conte but we might in a couple of seasons time.

Edited by ferguson1

I’m sorry, but Gerrard started coaching the Liverpool youth academy team and worked his way up. He’s a hands-on coach absolutely. He’s an inspiration off the pitch as much as he is in training. However you feel about him let’s not spread rubbish. He’s not MON. 

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

Last season was great, and I would never dispute that.

I guess, in my head, I feel that one poor season, followed by one great season, then one poor season, is a huge sign of inconsistency.

Our squad is littered with inconsistency, and it’s up to the manager to fix that.

I don’t see how any manager could do that with this squad without significant investment in key areas, which Gerrard should be given.

The question is whether or not you trust him to do that.

Promotion, avoiding relegation, the 55 points 11 place isn’t poor season, great season is it.  

This is first full season being poor.

Do I trust Gerrard?

I have two parts to that.  

Based on what I have seen so far only,

1) in purchasing players, we have brought quality so far in Digne, Coutinho and Chambers…so yes!

2) coaching players…I haven’t seen anything to give me confidence!  It’s early days so he gets time of course but nothing I’ve seen so far on the pitch gives me confidence. Is it too early to make a decision? Of course! But in answer to you question? Not confident at this based on what I’ve seen.  It’s basically mediocre at best so far imo.

Â