Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

16 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

What even is this?! I’ve only seen Gerrard compared to Bruce as a criticism, and one that is way way off the mark imo. They are nothing alike. Bruce had nothing tactically and by all accounts training was a joke. Gerrard (or his team) have a pretty clear tactical setup that they are trying to implement here, while the impression I get of training and match prep is that it’s much more detailed and high level that. It has been previously.

Bruce has also been a manager for over a 1000 games and is a shit manager - Gerrard is in his second job having won a title and done OK in Europe, he is still in the infancy of his managerial career with 26 Prem games under his belt…

Think expectations are rightly high given NSWE continued investment, but also feel he’s being harshly judged too soon for an up and coming English manager still learning and developing… It’s not been great too often but it’s not been shocking all the time either - a mediocre middle ground in reality. The way the table is looking to finish - fine margins and 3/4 points between 6 places will hopefully be a lesson learned for next seasons planning.

Edited by thabucks

I wonder if some realise that, the " Since Gerrard has been in " table position of 8th means.

Deano + SG if nothing changes, will finish 14th.

SG alone will have "  finished " 8th, and no amount of moaning will change that. Lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

I'm trying to like Gerrard.

In some interviews he's likeable, but some I don't like how he comes across. Gives off a vibe that he really hasn't got much patience with certain players.

Among the positives tonight was seeing SG continue to experiment, both with different combinations of players in different positions and also tactically. Some sort of 4-3-3 will probably be his base for the foreseeable future, but we've seen straight 4-3-3, a Christmas tree 4-3-2-1, and a diamond 4-1-2-1-2, and tonight it was 4-3-3 in defence but 3-4-3 in attack. He gave Chuk another run, he gave Traore a good long look, he put Coutinho in midfield rather than up front. I will be curious if he continues to show flexibility or if he is just searching for a new thing to be rigid about.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hippo said:

If you appoint another clubs once in a generation hero - don't expect to jump on board. 

I genuinely couldnt give a whos hero he is. He is just a poor manager

He could be the greatest player in the history of another club but if was a competent manager it would be fine

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

In some interviews he's likeable, but some I don't like how he comes across. Gives off a vibe that he really hasn't got much patience with certain players.

I think that last sentence is accurate.  I think he has seen a mentality with some of the players he's inherited that he doesn't like.  Like him or not, he's a born winner and I can't imagine he has patience with players who don't have a winning mentality.... He's seen enough of them all now, on a day-to-day basis and in matches.  A player being "nice and honest" is not often one that is a win-at-all-costs personality.  I know which ones I'd rather have. 

O'Leary used to get pelters for always referring to the players as an "honest bunch of lads" which was code for "they ain't good enough."  

16 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

In that interview, he says as good as what we all say. "much to inconsistent this season" and "not enough quality in the final 3rd". At least he knows. Gotta respect him for seeing what we see most games, so he knows what to do for next season. I'm positive, next season will be better.

Understanding that we don’t score enough doesn’t necessarily mean he knows what to do about it. Every manager would want to have quality in the final third.

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He's been the 8th best Manager in the League since he's been here.

Only behind Eddie Ten Haag at Newcastle and the top 6.

From now on, I'm just going to keep repeating the same FACTS over and over again.

People are better off saying they just aren't happy with playing style, performances or personnel decisions etc.

Because the facts don't support this.

Lol.

8th placed team doesn't equal 8th based manager though. In fact we're probably not the 8th best side in the league so he may even have been higher. :)

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, hippo said:

Got to disagree - the narrow formation and no wingers has many critics - even those pro Stevie G aren't totally on board with it. 

Where are you getting the impression about training and match prep. ? 

What does detailed and high level mean?

Sure you can have an opinion that you don’t like Gerrard’s tactical setup, but it’s still a pretty clearly defined one, unlike under Bruce.

I’m not sure who’s pro Gerrard but doesn’t like the set up, because for me it’s mostly about that. On the whole we’ve been much more defensively solid and it feels like the majority of the goals we’ve conceded have been down to individual errors rather than tactical failings. Offensively we are creating plenty of chances, individuals are often not taking them. Same tonight in both cases, stupid error for their goal and they did little else. Plenty of chances created but great performance from Pope kept them in it.

Regarding training and match prep, I don’t know for sure, hence I’m saying it’s the impression I get, from what Gerrard and players have said in interviews mostly. Sure it could just be them saying the right things with no substance, but at least it there is explicit talk about tactics, prep, etc. which we used to get from Smith as well but I don’t think we ever got from Bruce.

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

8th placed team doesn't equal 8th based manager though. In fact we're probably not the 8th best side in the league so he may even have been higher. :)

Stop playing mind games with me Tom.....😂

I sense the sarcasm and the trap from a mile away.

Ffs. 

We're now eighth in the form guide based on games since he arrived, same points as Wolves but we've had a better goal difference in that time. After the weekend we will probably drop down a place or two in that table.

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Stop playing mind games with me Tom.....😂

I sense the sarcasm and the trap from a mile away.

Ffs. 

Nah honestly mate wasn't being sarcastic.

As much as I find some of Gerrard's decisions strange, I don't think he's done that bad of a job overall, at least points wise.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Well based on the fact you said “in some interviews he’s likeable”, that instantly puts him above every manager bar Smith from the last 10 years. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

Well based on the fact you said “in some interviews he’s likeable”, that instantly puts him above every manager bar Smith from the last 10 years. 

true-kramer.gif

• Like 1

According to The Times since Gerrard has arrived we are 8th in points gained, which on the face of things, is quite good. we do need to buck up and improve in every area of the pitch however, whether its finishing, running or passing

24 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

what do you mean, this is a man of his word

FootballJOE's tweet - "This has to be the first time ever a manager's  farewell has included a mention of a cabbage " - Trendsmap

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

This rocks :)

The craziest part is, I've been in the country for the best part of 25 years, on and off.

Yet Only discovered there was a proper Villa group here late last year 🤦🏿 

This was after me having a rant /moan about being a lone Villa fan here on Facebook, someone then sent me an inbox  message telling me that we do in fact have a group.

Moral of the story, we are EVERY WHERE in the world you can imagine , like Jamaicans haha 😎

• Like 2

Is it wrong of me to say that part of me wants us to help Liverpool to win the title? At least partly because I like Gerrard and want to see him "make amends" for his slip years ago. The neutral in me would also like us to be part of a dramatic moment and historic moment.

Especially since the alternative is letting City win which is not only boring, it would allow Jack Grealish to win his first title by beating us. 

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

I loved Tactics Tim.

Not even joking.

Â