Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

So not attacking play “none” then. Prior to our most recent crap run we had scored 9 in 3 games and conceded none.

The sooner you realise there is no point, the better.

I've come to this realisation. lol

Criticisms and concerns ok, and some are very valid. ( I've got my own )

It's some of the hyperbole and straight up untruths which grind my gears.

Anyway, i'm just happy we ended a losing run.

Hopefully something to build on.

A couple of wins in our next two would do a world of good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Dale said:

That's really rather damning. Talented players are looking incredibly ineffective under Gerrard. Coutinho occasionally very good, more often a passenger. Consistent performers, Mings, Cash, that's about it! 

I think everyone’s rewriting history. Those “talented players” were pretty much abysmal for most of 2021 up to Gerrard arriving.

34 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

If I owned this club and had watched that today, Gerrard would be answering some serious questions tonight about what he's actually trying to implement as manager of the club. 

Yep

My biggest fear with Gerrard and his backroom staff is we give them a lot of money to shape the squad and the team and bring in expensive players on big money to play the current formation. Let’s say it goes wrong, we’re then left with a really unbalanced side for the next manager - and we start again!

Current performances don’t bother me all that much tbh. I don’t think we’re any worse than we were under Smith, I think we’ve all just come to the realisation that players like McGinn, Konsa and Watkins really aren’t that good and we want to aim that frustration at somebody. 

Honestly, we’re really just not that good and we wasted a lot of money last Summer. That’s the crux of it. We could have brought in 10 different managers other than Gerrard and we may or may not have accumulated more points but ultimately, our players still wouldn’t be good enough to get us where we want to go. We’re actually kind of similar to United at the moment in many respects. 

I’m happy to give Gerrard the Summer and time to improve. Like I say, the formation he plays is my biggest concern but who knows, maybe a couple of new midfielders will make it more functional.

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Over our last 15 league games, only Watford, Everton and Norwich have taken fewer points than us. That is relegation form over a sustained period of time and we are no better than we were when Smith was sacked, with several players having dropped off noticeably. He really needs a strong finish to the season and if things don't improve then serious questions need to be asked, currently he has done very little to suggest he should be trusted with a major squad overhaul

This is like me saying that us winning 3 games on the spin, over a sustained period of time, is title winning form.

None of them would be true, because, neither have been over a " sustained period of time " or even , a season lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Over our last 15 league games, only Watford, Everton and Norwich have taken fewer points than us. That is relegation form over a sustained period of time and we are no better than we were when Smith was sacked, with several players having dropped off noticeably. He really needs a strong finish to the season and if things don't improve then serious questions need to be asked, currently he has done very little to suggest he should be trusted with a major squad overhaul

He's only been in charge for 21 league games so I see you are ignoring the first 6, where he won 4 games? Why is that?

Since he's been here we are 10th in the league from that point. Mid table, where most people expected us to be, especially after the start we had. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

This is like me saying that us winning 3 games on the spin, over a sustained period of time, is title winning form.

None of them would be true, because, neither have been over a " sustained period of time " or even , a season lol

I'm not sure this is a fair comparison, if there is no significant up turn in form between now and the end of the season, we could end the year on a 21 game run in which we've barely mustered a point per game (with that 3 game winning run very much a statistical anomaly).

Smith was rightly criticised for the poor run from the start of 2021, which carried on into this season and ultimately led to his sacking. There is every danger that we repeat the cycle this year and waste more time and money, with the potential to set our progress back even further.

I hope there is an improvement, but as it stands I've not seen enough personally to have faith that Gerrard is the man to overhaul the squad and move us forward.

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

He's only been in charge for 21 league games so I see you are ignoring the first 6, where he won 4 games? Why is that?

Since he's been here we are 10th in the league from that point. Mid table, where most people expected us to be, especially after the start we had. 

Tbh I looked out of curiosity more than anything else and was surprised that our form had been that bad. I hope there's an improvement between now and the end of the season, but if things carry on as they have been then I very much doubt we will still be 10th in the form table since his arrival when we take stock at the end of the season

Just now, icouldtelltheworld said:

Tbh I looked out of curiosity more than anything else and was surprised that our form had been that bad. I hope there's an improvement between now and the end of the season, but if things carry on as they have been then I very much doubt we will still be 10th in the form table since his arrival when we take stock at the end of the season

I'd like to think we'll be there or higher. I don't want to say there are easier games coming up as i'll bloody jinx it, but Burnley x2, Norwich and Palace should provide chance to get some wins on the board. 

We're just very up and down - win or lose, with very few draws. If we'd have added just 2 or 3 more draws instead of defeats then i'm sure people would be more relaxed. 

26 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Honestly, we’re really just not that good and we wasted a lot of money last Summer. That’s the crux of it. We could have brought in 10 different managers other than Gerrard and we may or may not have accumulated more points but ultimately, our players still wouldn’t be good enough to get us where we want to go. We’re actually kind of similar to United at the moment in many respects. 

There may be some similarities to United. United obviously are a crap team now, but it’s not for lack of investing. They have for years signed players and then let their individual development stall or even crash. No player development or coaching means once talented players deteriorate.

Don’t want to see Villa and Gerrard repeat those mistakes. A player’s quality isn’t set in stone from birth, it must be maintained and developed.

I’m starting to question Gerrard’s ability as a leader. A good leader must be able to bring a group together, but right now those players don’t look like a confident or determined group at all.

Edited by VillaParkAvenue

3 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

You not watch PC against Leeds x2, 1st Half against Spuds, Southampton?

If you can't see how good he is, if you are so warped in your views by your dislike of the Manager, if you can't appreciate the moments of magic that PC provides in dull games then i feel a bit sad for you tbh

Hmm so that's what three and half games out of how many! Had Buendia played those games how many of those would we be euolgising about?

Losing Nakamba was a big lose for Gerrard and buying a top class DM could transform this team. The midfield needs addressing but since SJM is nailed on to start I am a little concerned that we will still have a disjointed team come August

Stopped the rot today, wasn’t easy on the eye but got a decent enough point.

I wish he would make substitutions earlier though, I’m starting to find myself shouting that at the tv/iPad a lot more often these days!

Other than that, hate all the negativity surrounding him all the time. It’s just sucking all the fun out of following the club right now.

• Like 1

Just now, Woody1000 said:

Other than that, hate all the negativity surrounding him all the time. It’s just sucking all the fun out of following the club right now.

It can be exhausting. Its easy to forget we were stinking out the Championship a few years ago and owned by a Walter Mitty character. 

Now we have Coutinho playing for us and the mood is toxic on here. 

David O'Leary was right. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

We play negative football. Even games when we take the lead. Everton away. Brentford away. One we won. One we lost. But the pattern was the same. Negative anti football once we scored a goal. We can't even get that anymore.

He's a negative dour manager.

I really can't believe we sacked Smith for this.

Smith was sacked because he only managed 40 points from 36 games. Gerrard has only been in charge for 21 games.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

Other than that, hate all the negativity surrounding him all the time. It’s just sucking all the fun out of following the club right now

Agree. We’ve had a rough ride but there are some right haters about. Test the meaning of the word ‘support’.

Â