Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Out of curiosity

Has ANYTHING positive happened since SG arrived?

What would you call positive? We have won some games which was more than expected 😂

3rd round FA Cup exit

We are playing boring football and no actual system of play except hoof to Watkins, hope Coutinho can pull off some magic or use Cash pace and then he has no support

Have not beaten a team we are not expected to beat

We have lost to 3 relegation contenders

Our defence looks more exposed than before. Every chance a team gets they look like scoring

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

We were not midtable nobodies last season. Our points total last season was usually good enough to challenge for Europe

We won 3 games in a row last month and the manager idea was to go back to a system that doesn't actually work. How is that the players fault

We finished midtable last season, bang average. I'm not bemoaning that in our second season but we went out with a whimper after a good start.

4 hours ago, hippo said:

When the managers are Dean Smith (did great for us - but had a reached a ceiling) and an unproven Stephen Gerrard.  I don't thinks its beyond the realms of possibility that neither are good enough to manage in the higher Echelons of the premiership.

It might just be that neither is/was good enough.

However the common denominator is/are the players. Look at individual player threads very often opinions are split on who is good enough and even who has a good game from one game to the next.

Again there aren't many of our players who consistently play well enough to be regularly starting for a top six team.

We are midtable because the players are inconsistent.

But hey perhaps we should be happy with that considering other posters responses to my thoughts.

All I was suggesting was we should allow Gerrard the time as these aren't his players in the main.

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

We finished midtable last season, bang average. I'm not bemoaning that in our second season but we went out with a whimper after a good start.

However the common denominator is/are the players. Look at individual player threads very often opinions are split on who is good enough and even who has a good game from one game to the next.

Again there aren't many of our players who consistently play well enough to be regularly starting for a top six team.

But hey perhaps we should be happy with that considering other posters responses to my thoughts.

All I was suggesting was we should allow Gerrard the time as these aren't his players in the main.

I think we've moved from a coach who got a huge amount of enjoyment and success from improving players, to one who is just frustrated that they're not already perfect. 

Luiz, Ghazi, Grealish, Mings, Konsa, McGinn, Targett, Cash, JJ they all improved markedly under Dean...

The whimper I think was in no small part due to the Covid outbreak. Time will tell, but I don't think we'll be signing diamonds in the rough now, just players ready to go, and given our position that just leaves us with achieving the position our budget would expect, tops. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

What would you call positive? We have won some games which was more than expected .

- Going from 15th/16th to 9/10 th after a terrible start, and even through bad runs of form.

- Very solid defensive and attacking performances against the likes of Man City.

- Dismantling in form teams such as Crystal Palace, Southampton etc. ( I know, all new Manager bounce etc )

- Initial form and performances of McGinn | Initial form and surgence of Jacob Ramsey | Exceptional form of Cash.

- Exceptional form of Nakamaba ( Was in form as a DCM , obviously makes no difference to the invisible system we don't have )

- Attracting players like Philip Coutinho, raising our profile etc.

- Exposing players not up to taking us to the next level ( These players have actually been on borrowed time, regardless of who is manager )

- Increasing possibility to sign a higher calibre of player | Well respected character within the game.

3rd round FA Cup exit

- Never cared this season, and I doubt many did, unless it  can be used as a stick of course.

We are playing boring football and no actual system of play except hoof to Watkins, hope Coutinho can pull off some magic or use Cash pace and then he has no support

Isn't the " system " one of the many things you've been moaning about, either we have one, or we don't. Make up your minds.

-  The system of play you claim we have, sounds eerily familiar. lol

- So have better teams than us in the League, it's kinda how a competetive League works, especially as a mid table team.

Our defence looks more exposed than before. Every chance a team gets they look like scoring

- You, and others in the camp, have selectively chosen the games where this might have been the case, and casually ommitted the games in which we looked more solid than at any time under the previous regime. In the last match against Wolves, how does Gerrard stop Mcginn from giving the ball away,  2 defenders slipping, Ashley Young scoring an own goal, Ings having a child born the night before and Digne having the shits? lol

You and the rest of the newly formed " Lad22 " squad try way too hard,to the point where it's hard to take serious, especially as we know you lot simply dislike the man.

There are actually ALOT of very fair and critical posts on here, which don't delve into the outlandish. Especially given the surrounding circumstances, alot of it is outright bullshit.

I don't know where you find the energy. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Well even accounting for a big spree in the summer - there will still be a lot on non Gerrard players in the starting 11.

So when does the 'time' you are giving Stevie G expire ?

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

What would you call positive? We have won some games which was more than expected 😂

3rd round FA Cup exit

This...  Our defense in transition is shambolic and I've never seen a team with this much attacking talent look as toothless as we usually do.  I will credit Gerrard for convincing Coutinho to come here on loan and for pulling off the Digne signing, but our performance on the pitch has been worse than it was under Smith last season without Grealish, even with all this extra attacking talent in the squad.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Well even accounting for a big spree in the summer - there will still be a lot on non Gerrard players in the starting 11.

So when does the 'time' you are giving Stevie G expire ?

when the majority of the team is his.

but Hippo, if we was winning.....you'd find something, to satisfy your loathing of him from the start.....for you it must be, quite depressing, because no amount of improvement will satisfy your loathing.

you are just slip streaming behind folk who are at least , relating him to performances.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

but Hippo, if we was winning.....you'd find something, to satisfy your loathing of him from the start.....for you it must be, quite depressing, because no amount of improvement will satisfy your loathing.

you are just slip streaming behind folk who are at least , relating him to performances.

See up thread.

I've credited him with bringing in Countinho and shifting us away from the RZ.

I have said the results under him aren't that bad.

But his blueprint for the future doesn't give me much optimism to be honest.  

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

See up thread.

How funny.....He has won 8 losing 10.

I believe in him long term as you know.....but thats too many losses, for some of the quality, in the squad....I say it again, Midfield is letting the rest down and the malaise has spread.

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

Are you really saying it’s too soon to judge Gerrard until he’s signed a majority of the squad? With normal turnover it would probably take at least 3 years for more than half of the squad to be replaced.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Are you really saying it’s too soon to judge Gerrard until he’s signed a majority of the squad? With normal turnover it would probably take at least 3 years for more than half of the squad to be replaced.

I don't think " Normal" relates to our squad....We have been trying to establish ourselves in the big league for a few seasons now....and now its time to upgrade.

I'm saying its too soon to judge him with an axe in your hand......Fans can judge him how they like......but to make a sensible measured judgement, he needs more time and a summer window.

32 minutes ago, hippo said:

See up thread.

This “blueprint” do you know what it is or is it just made up drivel in your head? 

• Haha 1

Â