Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

31 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I've cared less about villa since Gerrard has arrived. 

I know I was superfan number 1 but I think we lost something getting rid of Smith. It's very rare to have that connection and link with a manager and on the whole I think as a fanbase we had it with him. 

Now I'll admit he was unlikely to get us into the top 8 but unless Gerrard does it, I'd have taken mid table with Deano over mid table with any other manager. 

I really hope Gerrard makes it worth it. 

I think the problem is that under Smith it looked like we were heading for worse than mid-table. Our 2021 form under him was abysmal. Gerard has improved on that but whether or not he's the man to push us to the next level I have no idea.

I certainly didn't want to potray DS as a useless manager, far from it, we owe a lot to DS, he goy us promotion, brought on Jack, and kept us up. The next move was to step up and move up the league. Sentiments aside i think SG will attract the players to do that more than DS would have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Judge SG this time next year.

Apart from 2 players, the rest are DS's, and their is a distinct lack of quality on the ball, and even balance in the team. No CDM, no quality passer in midfield, no pace wide, not enough goalscorers in the team, no forward to link the attack and midfield. IF he gets the supposed warchest in the summer, gets rid of some of the players recently bought, and develops the youth as he should, then the future should be better.

Whether some of the knockers on here accept it or not, SG will attract better players than DS would have been able to, that is why he was appointed, not for now, but for the next 2 or 3 years.

okay, I will be back on here on the 01/01/23 at 12:01am
Cya there 

Edited by messi11

I hope he uses the next few transfer windows to sign winners. We have talent in our squad but there's a mental frailty and such poor decision making at crucial times which really lets us down. Even our "better" players such as McGinn make some incredibly poor decisions multiple times a game. I suspect Gerrard will be wanting to change a LOT of the squad. 

I really hope he can pull the type of talent needed to push us forward.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I think the problem is that under Smith it looked like we were heading for worse than mid-table. Our 2021 form under him was abysmal. Gerard has improved on that but whether or not he's the man to push us to the next level I have no idea.

It was bad but I also think with losing Jack and the injuries we had, we were never going to start well. 

Still annoys me that our 3 big summer signings managed less than a half of football on the pitch together before he went. We never got the chance to really see how we might improve or build. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

and their is a distinct lack of quality on the ball, and even balance in the team. No CDM, no quality passer in midfield, no pace wide, not enough goalscorers in the team

That's Gerrard's fault though? He plays McGinn over Sanson, Watkins over Ings, and hardly gives Traore and Bailey a look in?

25 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

He is a clown for trying the two 10s and be the only Premier League manager to ever do that. Failed.

To try play like Liverpool do with their full backs. We're not Liverpool we don't have their players.

Yes change how we play but he was so naive thinking here's how we will play. Learn it.

No experience of how it will work in the Premier League. Just a massive radical shift. 

Now he's complaining about the cheap goals we give away. When he plays McGinn as a 6. The absolute master of being caught in possession and misplaced passes. Yeah let's put him in front of the defence. He won't lose the ball and gift the opposition attacks.

It's John McGinn. He's absolutely useless as passing he always loses possession. Baffling decision and he won't own responsibility for it.

I actually hate the two 10s system. I don't see the benefit for us at all. 

• Like 3

Willing to give him time but I think he needs to rein in his comments a bit. He’s going to lose both the fans and dressing room. I believe a manager needs to have some swagger and arrogance to succeed (the successful ones all do) but he isn’t exactly backing it up and he’s coming across like a petulant child at times. 

I'm a bit fed up of all this whinging about the players letting him down to be honest. What if he gets given this brand new - and presumably hugely expensive - squad and the same issues persist?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I actually hate the two 10s system. I don't see the benefit for us at all. 

I kinda hate it too from what I've seen of it so far.

Not sure if it's the system that's bad or if we just don't have the midfield to play it. Either way, we shouldn't see it again.

I really don't understand why we don't just try a 4-2-3-1 with Watkins, Coutinho, Bailey and Buendia all on the pitch. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Apart from 2 players, the rest are DS's, and their is a distinct lack of quality on the ball, and even balance in the team. No CDM, no quality passer in midfield, no pace wide, not enough goalscorers in the team, no forward to link the attack and midfield. IF he gets the supposed warchest in the summer, gets rid of some of the players recently bought, and develops the youth as he should, then the future should be better.

Whether some of the knockers on here accept it or not, SG will attract better players than DS would have been able to, that is why he was appointed, not for now, but for the next 2 or 3 years.

I agree give him time but.......he brought our best midfielder off today( that's not saying alot)  Sansom,  and that's worrying. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

It’s definitely true Gerrard can attract better players than Smith. Or maybe that should be, ”could” attract. The allure of playing under Gerrard is strong only as long as he is new to the league, after that he’ll have to show some results. His pull may actually have peaked in January.

If Villa finish the season in shit form and end up 14th, media will be filled with discussions about Gerrard’s surprising flop, Villa wasting big money and so on. How strong will Gerrard’s pull be then? I can answer: it will be about as strong as Lampard’s pull, if he gets Everton relegated. Two famous English midfield legends failing spectacularly. It’s a great story for the papers.

A lot of bed wetting happening. A manager needs 3 years IMO. If you're getting rid before, you're pissing every single transfer fee spent under him down the drain, and setting the club back years at a time

41 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

This. Gerrard isn't going anywhere. As long as we aren't threatened with relegation I think Purslow gives him two full summer transfer windows to assemble a team to get into Europe.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, maqroll said:

This. Gerrard isn't going anywhere. As long as we aren't threatened with relegation I think Purslow gives him two full summer transfer windows to assemble a team to get into Europe.

This is correct, whatever your opinion on him. For me I dont think we will progress, but I hope I am proven wrong

5 minutes ago, og1874 said:

A lot of bed wetting happening. A manager needs 3 years IMO. If you're getting rid before, you're pissing every single transfer fee spent under him down the drain

That's not true at all though

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, og1874 said:

A lot of bed wetting happening. A manager needs 3 years IMO. If you're getting rid before, you're pissing every single transfer fee spent under him down the drain, and setting the club back years at a time

You should tell Chelsea.

Â