Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Just now, CVByrne said:

I struggle to see where we are going and I worry about our ability to sign the players we need to bring us forward. 

Apathy is what I think is setting in and an acceptance that this is what we need to get used to. Just random form and a random mid table finish each season

It feels very like the late 90s / 2000s... which in some ways is a good thing, I suppose. Better than the 2010s.

I think we give Gerrard a full season next year and then evaluate at the end of that season. Only sack him if we're threatened with relegation. I'm not convinced, but I also don't believe half a season and one January transfer window is a fair way to assess a manager.

Transfer policy this summer needs to be based around the club's best interests long term, though, not just getting quick results for Gerrard so he can be on the shortlist for the Liverpool gig when Klopp quits.

3 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Yeah, dumping our player of the season and watching him tear it up for Newcastle while we spend £29 million on a replacement who spends more time in the treatment room than on the pitch.

What a masterstroke 😂

Targett has been crap for us this season though? Literally everyone agreed on this. And Digne hasn't even missed *that* many games for us since he signed.

Knew it was a seriously risky appointment when we gave him the job and it's looking more and more a poor decision after every passing week.

Gerrard did absolutely nothing to deserve this job. Managing Rangers in a poor league with only one serious challenger is no barometer to success and even it was he still only won one trophy in three seasons despite spending more than any other Rangers manager in the last 20 years.

We have a woeful track record of appointing managers and Gerrard looks like being another in a long line of failures. I really question our board if they give him a huge kitty in the summer because even though he might bring some high-profile players here I really don't think he has shown anywhere near enough tactical awareness as a manager to justify being heavily backed.

What an absolutely pointless and rubbish season, can't end soon enough.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, messi11 said:

GET OUT MY CLUB GERRARD! 
-Not got a clue!
-Tactically wide open, Fabio Silva looking like KDB against us 
-Subs so late
-Digne injured/Ill in the warmup but decides to start him! 
-Not playing any of the kids just like he didn't at Rangers. Goodbye Carney

#GerrardOut 

#clowtowntime

If there’s one person who I think won’t stand the nonsense and will have clear out the slackers it’s Gerrard.

Pre-season will be massive! If I’m December we are struggling then we can review but I genuinely think he will get it right. He’s a winner and will find a way.

• Like 1

I think he's tried to implement tactics and a style of play that is too different from what our players are used to playing and are capable of learning.

Only Liverpool play a back 4 with such attacking fullbacks because they have a midfield three that covers for it. 

They also have a front 3 who score.

Edited by CVByrne

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

I guess its a wait and see situation. Took him a bit of time to get Rangers how he wanted them. 

That second sentence should send a shiver down every villa fans spine ! 

2 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Transfer policy this summer needs to be based around the club's best interests long term, though,

Wholeheartedly agree with this as well. 

Look at Fabio Silva for example, was signed VERY raw, and he looks to have come on shed loads.

I don't mind a couple of big money signings but there has to be long term common sense behind them.

For example, Kamara on a free, still young, just give him a stupid signing on and normal ish wages etc.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

After looking at the fixture list, I realise it's best to probably avoid this thread till season's end.

He'll get at least a pre season and half next season for me.

Yes there have been some shite performances, but the reluctance to consider ALL the mitigating factors are frustrating.

The problem is, he is already disliked by a chunk so unless things go exceedingly well these pages are going to be painful reading.

Don't get me wrong , there are things I don't like as well, and a couple of worries I consider, but I'm ok to take an unbiased look at the circumstances as a whole for now at least.

* Note, we aren't playing shite teams, and most the squad is the same.

That is a fair assessment. You have calmed me down. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, joshharris12 said:

Loosing faith what do you expect though?

What do YOU expect? We're 9th in the league. All the teams above us are better than us. We're exactly where we should be.

Just now, Mark_1989 said:

#clowtowntime

If there’s one person who I think won’t stand the nonsense and will have clear out the slackers it’s Gerrard.

Pre-season will be massive! If I’m December we are struggling then we can review but I genuinely think he will get it right. He’s a winner and will find a way.

Claude Aftv GIF - Claude AFTV Its Time To Go - Discover & Share GIFs

Needs to bin the stupid formation with two no.10s. Hasn't worked at all since he joined, only times we've looked solid is when playing a diamond or more conventional 3 up top. 

Will he admit he's killing us with this formation or persist with it though is the question.

Just now, Mark_1989 said:

#clowtowntime

Of course we can review in December.  But thats another season & £200m down the pan.

Should we not look now at the distinct possibility that he just isn't right for us ? 

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Well he ultimately mad them better than they were before him...so explain why mate?

Well it isn't the toughest league in the world is it. The likes of Neil Lennon have collected trophy after Trophy in Scotland.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Well it isn't the toughest league in the world is it. The likes of Neil Lennon have collected trophy after Trophy in Scotland.

Also he had ten times the budget of most teams to do so. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

It feels very like the late 90s / 2000s... which in some ways is a good thing, I suppose. Better than the 2010s.

I think we give Gerrard a full season next year and then evaluate at the end of that season. Only sack him if we're threatened with relegation. I'm not convinced, but I also don't believe half a season and one January transfer window is a fair way to assess a manager.

Transfer policy this summer needs to be based around the club's best interests long term, though, not just getting quick results for Gerrard so he can be on the shortlist for the Liverpool gig when Klopp quits.

He definitely gets the full season yeah. I just think from what we've seen it'll be hard to sign the players we need and his tactics are fundamentally flawed given the players available. 

He's stuck now, does he press ahead with his style of play and hope it perseveres or does he accept we need wide forwards in a 4 3 3 and stop pushing the full backs so high. 

We want McGinn and Ramsey getting forward with the front three. Stop with the Liverpool obsession with attacking fullbacks

Think one of the main problems with Gerrard isn't that we're not capable of winning (his win percentage is around 42% I think which is actually quite decent) but how easy we are to beat, although in fairness I think this was becoming a problem last season too.

If you look at our last 6 games (3 wins, 3 losses) and replaced 1 of those wins and 2 of those losses with draws, we'd have the same number of points but I don't think the mood on here would be anywhere near as downcast.

Â