Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

24 minutes ago, jim said:

I did, sounds like a man not shirking his responsibilities. He could have made excuses, he didn’t.  I got no hint of despair. 

If someone had written something like this about Smith a few months back, you’d have been one of the first to two foot them.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, hippo said:

Seriously take the emotion out of it.

Listen to the interview on WM. Subjective of course - but he said 2or times "it's all on me"

I don't take an awful of stall by interviews etc - but that sounded like a man out of ideas. Just have a 

That's probably because it's how you want it to sound. It's not easy to be objective about someone when you don't like them.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

A new manager with no wins in three games coming into the game. That has to be up there with the easiest games we’ll play all season

If we played games on paper, you'd all be right, all the time, and we'd be in Europe.

17th placed Newcastle drew with 4th placed West Ham today.

8th placed Tottenham beat the Champions elect today.

There are no " easy " games in the Premier League.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

That's probably because it's how you want it to sound. It's not easy to be objective about someone when you don't like them.

I did say it's subjective.

Have a listen see what you think.

(Not that interviews are the deal breakers in managerial careers )

Just now, regular_john said:

He's a young manager who needs to learn his trade. He should be given the time to do so at an appropriate club i.e. league one/championship level. He's just not ready for a job of this magnitude and it shows week in and week out.

Well he's one of the top paid managers in the league so he better sharpen up.

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If we played games on paper, you'd all be right, all the time, and we'd be in Europe.

8th placed Tottenham beat the Champions expect today.

You're correct, there are no easy games but when you keep dropping points in the easier games you are in trouble

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

8th palved Tottenham beat the Champions expect today.

I guess one off results are ok. We’ve taken 1 point from our last 3 games against teams now sat in 15th, 17th and 18th.

We can add a Brentford side who since they beat us have lost 6 and drawn 1 having also lost the 2 league games before playing us. Watford hadn’t won a game since 20th November. How many one off losses to teams we’d expect to beat constitutes more than one of those days? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, regular_john said:

He's a young manager who needs to learn his trade. He should be given the time to do so at an appropriate club i.e. league one/championship level. He's just not ready for a job of this magnitude and it shows week in and week out.

Yep that's fair 

But now many people are suggesting that this young manager learning his trade - should be entrusted with a pretty substantial rebuild in the summer.

High chance of disaster methinks.

It is down to experience. I mean I know Watford haven't really got the players, but he wasn't gonna outsmart Hodson with all his experience It looked like he had us in his back pocket from minute 1. Give them all the possession, defend for 60 minutes. When Gerrard makes a change, while we are adjusting to that change, start pushing forward. Hardly rocket science is it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, regular_john said:

When he was appointed I agreed with a post on here that expressed concern that we had appointed a novice manager to take the club not just forwards, but upwards. The post was disliked and criticised at the time, but I don’t think it was far wrong.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

8th placed Tottenham beat the Champions expect today.

Yeah but we drew with Leeds and lost to both Newcastle and Watford and that’s only the last week and a half but representative of the last two months…it seems we are the “easy” game for teams at the moment.  

Yes a game here or there happens, what we have is a pattern.

• Like 1

Â