Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Just now, Tayls said:

No one will want to come. Especially if we go down. 

We are not going down mate . 
we just signed Courtinio on loan because of SG and have attracted interest from players we wouldn’t normally  be associated with . The club I think is moving in the right direction with ambitious owners . But it won’t happen overnight . Today was poor but I’ve seen enough to think we will and are improving. It’s completely ridiculous some of the comments and reactions on this board . 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

For me, Gerrard will be judged next season for how the team performs, once he has a full summer window to bring his own players in (Smith was given multiple windows to develop the team he wanted).

Personally, im almost glad he is seeing the current Villa performances, because he will know exactly who just isnt good enough, or flatters to deceive for a while, then totally plays trash after wangling a few good performances.

Agree, this performance will just confirm to him the players he can trust and those he can't. 

What do they say, you learn more from a loss than you do a win. Gerrard is a born winner and he'll change the mentality of the club. Looking forward to it! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

The inconsistency comes with the territory of being a midtable team. But Gerrard hasn't come here to do that. It's going to be a lot of work to add the consistency he'll demand for next season.

Yep. We are a mediocre midtable team, 10th-14th. This is exactly what it looks like. Of course Gerrard needs to ultimately take us to the next level.

3 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Yep. We are a mediocre midtable team, 10th-14th. This is exactly what it looks like. Of course Gerrard needs to ultimately take us to the next level.

If you think we’re finishing 10th I’m not sure who you think we’re catching above us. I suspect we’ll finish in the 13th-16th bracket given that we have a horrendous run of fixtures after the next 3. Pretty much where I’d have put us had Smith remained in charge.

Yes it’s nice having Coutinho but I preferred us when we had a system and tried to play football to be honest.

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

The inconsistency comes with the territory of being a midtable team. But Gerrard hasn't come here to do that. It's going to be a lot of work to add the consistency he'll demand for next season.

Remember people laughing at mid table you win one you lose one?

19 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

Prediction. 

We throw sit loads of money at the team again. Very little will improve. We have wasted so much money on players that are weak physically mentally and technically.  Realistically for the investment being made we should be better than this. That's not necessarily a dig at Gerrard just the club overall.

Lol, haven't you been told that the idea of players having physical strength and being imposing is a relic of the past?

Take your thinking back to the dark ages, where it belongs!

Modern football doesn't require strength or size in any position!

• Haha 1

I think there’s been a lot of naivety from Gerrard and his team since they’ve came in. It’s one thing dominating teams in Scotland but to do that in this league you either need brilliant players in every position or solid tactics. I think at times we’ve seen potential in how we’re playing, and we keep hearing how we want to control games and implement our game on our opponents but I don’t think we’ve seen that yet, at least not for a large spell in a game. Are we sacrificing a solid midfield to allow Digne and Cash to get forward? We don’t have any target men, Coutinho and Buendia both play better through the middle. It’s so disjointed at the minute. They need to change it around imo, because unless we’re going to get major upgrades in 4/5 positions over summer I can’t see us winning many games with this system 

Edited by IrishVilla10

9 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Right on the money. If midtable would be acceptable, surely we could've just persisted with Smith. If we don't finish the season on a high, perhaps we need to change manager again.

4 minutes ago, Thug said:

calling people entitled brats for venting frustration after one of the worst displays in living memory…

I wasnt calling them that for this game, I was calling the Gerrard naysayers that. Yes this game was horrendous, as bad as we've had in recent years but it happens. Newcastle came to stifle the game and did so.

We have Watford home next, a team in terrible form and we of course should be looking to win. If its more of the same next week then this convo will be very different. What will no doubt happen though is that if we beat Watford people will say "we should be beating them, they're rubbish and our of form". Kind of like how people are shitting on the Everton result.

The pressure on Gerrard is going to grow and grow if we see a couple more bad results against the likes of Watford, Southampton etc.

Of course he deserves a Summer and a pre season, but that isn’t how fans or football works. The fans loved Smith and although it was time for him to go, patience for Gerrard will start to wane if the poor performances continue. 

Gerrard will be seething after today and in all honesty, probably a little bit worried. 

Â