Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, Panto_Villan said:

I wouldn’t be angry or embittered. Stevie Gerrard wanting to manage Liverpool? It’d hardly be a surprise.

Most mid-tier teams doing well with an exciting new manager are going to have their manager poached eventually, same as if they have a star player like Grealish.

I guess the ultimate trick is to be doing well with an exciting old manager that the big dogs don’t actually want, like David Moyes.

Let's see what the majority outcome is, if and when it happens. They're a fickle lot out there, trust me.

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

First Answer, GT. Second, Joe Mercer. You asked.

I did. So it's been 30 years and 15 managers since the last one who went to a better job. Odds are Gerrard wouldn't manage to do so. If he does it'd be great for the position Villa would be left in.

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

So maybe we'll come back to this post if and when SG leaves and if he has been successful it will be very interesting to gauge the atmosphere amongst the chosen. 

My money would be on a very embittered, pissed off fan - base.

Personally, I don't care for Steven Gerrard or his career aspirations. I only care about what he does as a Villa manager. If he does so well that bigger clubs come calling then so be it. At least he hasn't said stupid things like 'My club' when signing a contract with an out clause in it. 

10 hours ago, mottaloo said:

I always thought he was a dour, anti social type - towards the media at least  - but it seems to be probably the best way to be. Keep feet on the ground and never be totally satisfied with his team's efforts, wanting a bit more etc.

Totally

his demeanor is bang on....you can't be everybodys friend in that job or a giggly girl.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Let's see what the majority outcome is, if and when it happens. They're a fickle lot out there, trust me.

The fan base is a kaleidoscope of personalities, subsequently, opinions.....so to label them all as one, is misleading.

2 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

So that would make it okay ? I'm really tired of hearing that line.

Yep. We won’t be competing with Liverpool in 2 years, so if he’s their manager in two years we would have pushed heavily up the table. Even Leicester have had Rodgers linked with Man United.

43 minutes ago, TRO said:

The fan base is a kaleidoscope of personalities, subsequently, opinions.....so to label them all as one, is misleading.

Totally. It really gets on my nerves with, particularly in relation to the JG situation when the media were “Villa fans this” and “villa fans that”. There was a massive spectrum of opinion on that and various issues. There are v  few issues that we all actually agree. 

• Like 1

The man is hellbent on making us siccessful. He will try his best to improve the players but he will go and get better if they dont measure up to his requirements. Put it this way he wont be saying please and Purslow will not be giving out the messages he did earlier in the summer and season which was saying we had a great squad. If Gerrard says he needs better then he won't be questioned i reckon. 

I think we will find he is loyal and brutal in equal measure eventually. Reminds me of Ferguson so far but a fair bit more humble. 

1 hour ago, avfcDJ said:

Yep. We won’t be competing with Liverpool in 2 years, so if he’s their manager in two years we would have pushed heavily up the table. Even Leicester have had Rodgers linked with Man United.

Graham Taylor left us as First Division runners up. Have a guess where we finished the next season? We want continued success to the point where were competing with the likes of Liverpool, otherwise what's the point ? I like how the manager has us playing, but I won't be happy if he leaves us halfway through the project, regardless where we are as a club. 

Biggest change is in transitions, we look far more organised on the breakdown and therefore, no longer have teams run straight through us.  He has worked quickly and effectively and the improvement is obvious.

My doubts were based on his relative inexperience and the size of the club, credit where it’s due, he hasn’t been phased.

Kudos to TRO and those that argued on his behalf from day one.  Less to those who are suddenly wise after the fact with their “told you so’s!”  😉

I think if Gerrard becomes recognised as 'THE' man to take over Liverpool, then we'd probably have gotten into the champions league by then.

There are so many different permutations. If Villa have broken into that group, are on the up, and Liverpool are in some kind of turmoil, then he could even decide the timing isn't right. After all if Liverpool's board can't promise a certain level of support and trust, then would be a very difficult decision  to make.

He sacrificed a lot to stay at Liverpool his whole career, so he doesn't owe Liverpool anything. So he may feel like yes I definitely want that job, but only if the conditions are right for me be successful. 

In short it's not worth worrying about. I have come to realise that most top managers don't stay as top managers their whole career. And moving from a team where you have enjoyed great success can often lead to a decline if the next job isn't wisely choosen. These days no club would give a manager 10 years before they provide any kind of success like Fergie got at Man U.

These days top managers have a top team of staff. The more I see Gerrard and his staff work, the more I feel like Smith was f'ed over a bit by Purslow. Smith lost his two most trusted assistants before the season started, and they were never replaced. Danks, and McPhee should have been in addition to. It was clear Terry was coaching the defence, and was an important motivator in the dressing room. How do you replace that? ROK was his assistant for whole managerial career up until this season.

Now compare that with Gerrard. He has his assistant managers. Beale proclaimed as the tactical genius behind Gerrard. McAllister the experienced, been there done it all AM that was also a top player to coach the midfield. The Technical coach Culshaw,  the fitness coach Milsom, the Analyst (stats man) Mason, and kept the set piece coach McPhee, and the in possession coach Danks.

Top managers are simply put the head of the dragon. They head up a top coaching team. Managers are only as good as their players AND their backroom staff. Gerrard learnt from his days coaching youth players he needed good people around him. So he poached the best people around while coaching Liverpool's youth team, and built on that at Rangers.

Mourinho had a great team behind him at Porto that he took to Chelsea, but that team gradually got eroded as they left to become mangers themselves. Fergie was the same (he had a conveyor belt of assistants (all highly thought of).

• Like 1

We set up a bit defensively, but I really like that we have a settled formation and shape, looks like the players know what they are supposed to do in the different positions. I feel like we now finally have shrugged off the dependent on one player era. What perhaps impresses me the most is that we use different players in different positions, but still look the same. That's a real strength. A proper TEAM! 

4 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

We set up a bit defensively, but I really like that we have a settled formation and shape, looks like the players know what they are supposed to do in the different positions. I feel like we now finally have shrugged off the dependent on one player era. What perhaps impresses me the most is that we use different players in different positions, but still look the same. That's a real strength. A proper TEAM! 

I agree. We look like a well oiled machine. They all know their jobs, ad are focused on carrying them out. They fully have bought into being part of something greater. This is down to quality coaching. 

I know if we had Jack in this team we'd be around 5th or 6th come end of the season.

• Like 1

To me Arsenal and Villa are on similar levels. The consistency we are showing under Gerrard is what we needed last season. If we had that we definitely would have finished top 8. Lets hope they can maintain it. The focus is really impressive right now.

No team can be at their flowing best every game. But with a solid and organised base, great focus, and a consistently high workrate you can grind out results regardless. This is what these early days of Gerrard's management has me feeling about our team.

If Last season we were able the follow wins against Liverpool and Leicester, with a win against Leeds. Or not gifting a 3-0 lead to saints, or losing at home to Brighton. Too often last season we dropped our focus against the team we were expected to beat. I can't see that happening now.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TRO said:

Totally

his demeanor is bang on....you can't be everybodys friend in that job or a giggly girl.

Spot on.

I remember an interview with Ange Postecoglou about this. He refuses to have players be his friends. He has a job to do and cannot let sentiment get in the way.

Famously, he once sat next to an Australian international player on a flight for 10 hours without saying a single word.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Spot on.

I remember an interview with Ange Postecoglou about this. He refuses to have players be his friends. He has a job to do and cannot let sentiment get in the way.

Famously, he once sat next to an Australian international player on a flight for 10 hours without saying a single word.

That is just being odd.

• Haha 1

People talk about the improvement of the midfielders. But really he hasn't made them better players.

What Gerrard has done is got the whole team playing closer together. Under Smith the defence was narrow, the attack was wide, the front 3 played very spread out the gap between the midfield and attack was very large and so if they supported the attack, the defence would be left with loads of space in front of it. Now they keep a set distance and move back and forward as a team to maintain close proximity. We are very compact.

This makes us hard to play through, means sat least 2 players are always available to receive a pass. Also means if the opposition come into that space they can be quickly closed down also.

Smith tried to be more expansive, but that also made us more open. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, pas5898 said:

Don't fall for a manager who will leave for Liverpool in 2 years

FFS! 

Mate it doesn't matter who the Villa manager is in 2 or 3 year's time be it Gerrard, John Terry or Old prick. 

If Liverpool offer them the managers job then they will go so I wouldn't let it live in your head rent free! 

It really is that black and white! 

• Like 2

Â