Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Exactly. If Smith was sacked because it wasn't good enough then surely that would apply to Gerrard as well. 

It better do. As much as i am in favour of Gerrard i would be going mental if he took us down and he wasnt fired . He has got a good,  not great squad to work with , with easily identifiable weaknesses to put right. And a fkourishing academy bringing some very talented players through. 

One game isnt proof that he will put things right   but it was easy to see the things he put in place straightaway. He isnt naive is he. 

If he fails to put right the weaknesses either by purchasing or improving the existing players tactically then he would have and deserve to be binned off

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, blandy said:

Very much this. I'm hopeful/optimistic, but my feeling is this appointment was in the pipeline waiting for a trigger to be pulled, minds were already made up it was just around timing. It's a gamble, and we'll see how it plays out.

That said, maybe most appointments are, and there's reason to be hopeful more than in quite a lot of the recent past appointments. Dean Smith was similar, but before him, much less so (under different ownership, to be fair).

I know some people who work for the club and this is absolutely true.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I agree

I think that is a rational/logical way though isn’t it.  I’m not convinced until sufficient evidence warrants it…almost an “Atheist” type view.  Once there is sufficient evidence I will believe.  The key point is that I don’t disbelieve, I’m just on the fence until sufficient evidence warrants which way I go.  You are kind of in the “Theist” equivalent side where you fully believe, where you believe you have sufficient evidence but mostly based on faith in some traits rather than evidence.  

I think that is a bit disingenuous Nick, If I may say so.

Sites like this are inhabited by folk, who like to try their arm, back their judgment, pre-empt, anticipate, call it what you will. Your pious, view has you skimming the point.

I was unneasy with things towards the end with our playing demeanor, and I felt, i had seen it before, that doesn't make me right, but it was a hunch I had and it wasn't for the first time, in my following Villa.

I see in SG things that made me feel that those uneasy things might go away....so far, Watkins and Mings are being reported as blown away, with the training and the raising of standards.

Now, of course that has to manifest itself in to games, and that will naturally take time.

I have enough from SG as a player and a manager with Rangers, to suggest to me we have a guy with a winning mentality and more importantly, just about the whole of football, thinks the same....Will that rub off, I think it will, will it help to attract, better players, I think it will, will it help in managing up, I think it will, will it help in convincing our players that these are the standards that win things, I think they will.

But you are right, I have no hard an fast evidence, but like you I have to wait for the games and the results to see if I was right in my thinking or it was just fanciful....no doubt, I will know in due course.

Edited by TRO

30 minutes ago, His Name Is Death said:

I know some people who work for the club and this is absolutely true.

It would have been remiss of Purslow not to be lining up a replacement of Smith. The results were very poor for a long time. He was given time to turn them around and unfortunately Smith was not able to. I would be pissed off if Purslow wasn't planning for a new manager in the event Smith wasn't able to turn the ship around. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

It better do. As much as i am in favour of Gerrard i would be going mental if he took us down and he wasnt fired . He has got a good,  not great squad to work with , with easily identifiable weaknesses to put right. And a fkourishing academy bringing some very talented players through. 

One game isnt proof that he will put things right   but it was easy to see the things he put in place straightaway. He isnt naive is he. 

If he fails to put right the weaknesses either by purchasing or improving the existing players tactically then he would have and deserve to be binned off

I think most sensible fans think that, but those same fans will also think lets give him a chance first to impliment his thinking.

No, new manager, will be allowed to be a serial loser, it's stupid to think otherwise.

58 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I think he’d probably get sacked even if we spent the rest of this season in a relegation battle and survived.  Expectation are a lot higher now. Just staying up won’t be enough. 

20 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

It would have been remiss of Purslow not to be lining up a replacement of Smith. The results were very poor for a long time. He was given time to turn them around and unfortunately Smith was not able to. I would be pissed off if Purslow wasn't planning for a new manager in the event Smith wasn't able to turn the ship around. 

Completely agree. I was getting slightly agitated as the days passed after Smith's departure with no sign of any movement but true to form, the Villa board were being real Gs and moving in silence, like lasagna.

They should always be aware of the best candidates for the position, even when things are going well. Life comes at you fast and people can decide to stand down or retire on the spur of the moment.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think that is a bit disingenuous Nick, If I may say so.

Sites like this are inhabited by folk, who like to try their arm, back their judgment, pre-empt, anticipate, call it what you will. Your pious, view has you skimming the point.

I was unneasy with things towards the end with our playing demeanor, and I felt, i had seen it before, that doesn't make me right, but it was a hunch I had and it wasn't for the first time, in my following Villa.

I see in SG things that made me feel that those uneasy things might go away....so far, Watkins and Mings are being reported as blown away, with the training and the raising of standards.

Now, of course that has to manifest itself in to games, and that will naturally take time.

I have enough from SG as a player and a manager with Rangers, to suggest to me we have a guy with a winning mentality and more importantly, just about the whole of football, thinks the same....Will that rub off, I think it will, will it help to attract, better players, I think it will, will it help in managing up, I think it will, will it help in convincing our players that these are the standards that win things, I think they will.

But you are right, I have no hard an fast evidence, but like you I have to wait for the games and the results to see if I was right in my thinking or it was just fanciful....no doubt, I will know in due course.

I don’t think I’m being disingenuous because what you’ve just gone onto explain is exactly what I said which you then acknowledge in the final paragraph.  It’s not having a go, it’s just explaining it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

Hi, just popped in to see what’s going down in the Steven Gerrard thread.

Ah, I see we are discussing him being sacked when he gets us relegated.

And replaying a very ancient and entirely imagined dispute between supporters of Steve Bruce and Dean Smith FFS.

Time to go and unpick some bits of old rope, I think, sounds like a better use of my time.

You should have a look which posters keep bringing the former manager up.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

Hi, just popped in to see what’s going down in the Steven Gerrard thread.

Ah, I see we are discussing him being sacked when he gets us relegated.

And replaying a very ancient and entirely imagined dispute between supporters of Steve Bruce and Dean Smith FFS.

Time to go and unpick some bits of old rope, I think, sounds like a better use of my time.

Realised that post came over as overtly negative. For the record i love his no nonsence approach and think that come the new year we will rise quickly up the table.

However continuous improvement is the hardest thing to do because theres

west ham

manure

spurs

arsenal

leicester

brighton

palace

everton

wolves

leeds all wanting to do the same and get into the Europe places behind the top 3 .

Thats 11 clubs with realistic expectations of top 8 , and behind the top 3 who are miles away from the rest  theres only 5 positions up for grabs to do it . All with billionaire owners . 

Its a frigging hard hard league and a bit of bad luck with injuries can decimate continuous progress. 

I think the problem with fans sometimes, and the wider society is the need to proven right. And I worry that one or two are already lining up their ducks. 

Anyone that pays attention to my posts knows I was/still am gutted Smith left (I thought he’d turn it around but this isn’t the thread to go into it), they probably also know that Gerrard wasn’t even in my long list let alone the bloody short one. But all of that is gone, he’s the manager now so gets my support and starts from the same baseline as every other manager taking into account the situation and environment they entered. 

But that was always my worry with Gerrard, the fact his appointment was deemed a poor one but so many, I always felt he wouldn’t be afforded the same grace of proving himself over the long term, and the people that didn’t want him would be jumping on him at the earliest opportunity (to be proven right)

Lets see how it pans out eh, we all should want it to be successful 

Edited by av1

13 minutes ago, av1 said:

But that was always my worry with Gerrard, the fact his appointment was deemed a poor one but so many, I always felt he wouldn’t be afforded the same grace of proving himself over the long term, and the people that didn’t want him would be jumping on him at the earliest opportunity (to be proven right)

The thing is that now Smith and Grealish have gone, that loyalty to individuals because they are deemed one of our own has also gone.  Now it’s all about results and performances and given Smith was let go (too early in my opinion but other disagree) it puts pressure on the new manager and also Purslow because they (Owners and Purslow) want more and quickly.  So for Gerrard, proving himself, will be a smaller window more because of actions by the club than by the fans.  I don’t think the worry is the fans but the club re giving him grace and I suppose as fans that maybe a good thing that they aren’t settling and want improvement and very little grace will be given.

• Like 1

Â