Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, av1 said:

I think you may have misunderstood my post mate, or I’ve just worded it badly. 

I have absolutely no issue with the fact that Liverpool may want SG in the future, or indeed the fact that SG may one day want to manage Liverpool. 

I just worry that the constant media circus could prove a distraction. In his first press conference the rags are questioning him about another job, it’s a joke. 

And again, that isn’t a criticism of our manager who I thought dealt with those questions very well. 

Get you.

I think that will wear off after a while. I also think Gerrard will ignore it and if asked about it over and over he will just tell the journo to shut he **** up :)

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Get you.

I think that will wear off after a while. I also think Gerrard will ignore it and if asked about it over and over he will just tell the journo to shut he **** up :)

Yeah I don't see SG being the type of character to be undermine by click-bait journo's in every press conference.

Results will take over after a few games, they'll focus on the good/bad/indifferent run we're on at the time...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Yeah I don't see SG being the type of character to be undermine by click-bait journo's in every press conference.

Results will take over after a few games, they'll focus on the good/bad/indifferent run we're on at the time...

The former Liverpool player who now manages Aston villa will endure !

1 hour ago, hippo said:

As that's no reason not to employ the man and no fault of him or our club, I'll do my best to continue to ignore the  vast majority of sports media. It either lacks insight or is simply guesswork and lies pandering to clickbait numbers of the masses.

Supporting our club's choice of manager above concerns about media repetition over their favoured 'elite' clubs, should be easy for most Villa fans.

• Like 1

Gonna be honest, I have absolutely no idea why but I'm really struggling to muster up any sort of excitement. We have a game later and I've barely thought about it for the past couple weeks. 

I've not gone through every page in here so apologies but it just feels very much like Purslow wanted to get his big name pal in. We've made sure to throw in all the classic PR work this week. 

Very strange feeling, hopefully snap out of it all soon. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, hippo said:

Your opinion has been read and considered, I was talking for the rest of us folk who aren't completely biased.

2 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Your opinion has been read and considered, I was talking for the rest of us folk who aren't completely biased.

On a separate tangent I will expect the media to do their usual.  If we are winning they’ll say “Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard….” But when we hit bad form it will be “Aston Villa manager…..”

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Just seen that Gregory was the last villa manager to win his first PL game in charge 

That's **** shocking 

It sort of makes sense though. You normally only change manager when the team is in trouble and struggling to find a win. 

4 hours ago, Farlz said:

Gonna be honest, I have absolutely no idea why but I'm really struggling to muster up any sort of excitement. We have a game later and I've barely thought about it for the past couple weeks. 

I've not gone through every page in here so apologies but it just feels very much like Purslow wanted to get his big name pal in. We've made sure to throw in all the classic PR work this week. 

Very strange feeling, hopefully snap out of it all soon. 

Purslow is a ruthless business man. His overwhelming driver is personal success. You don’t get into his position in life by giving pivotal roles within your organisation to mates. This decision has also been a joint one involving our two owners who are also ruthless business men who will only be interested in protecting and growing their asset.

There are lots of sources who claim that we received some very high quality applicants for the role. We don’t know their circumstances but choosing Gerrard was not an easy decision. It involved paying a large sum of money to extricate him from his existing position. They would not have done this unless they were certain of his credentials. There’s no doubt that they will have chosen the person that they thought was most likely to be successful. 100%. So it’s just a question of judgement really. We have to hope that theirs is good.

4 hours ago, Farlz said:

I've not gone through every page in here so apologies but it just feels very much like Purslow wanted to get his big name pal in. 

Have you watched any of the interviews or press conferences - because those notions were addressed? No one can change you feeling like that if you don't want to believe them though. ( I had the same feeling at first )

Him being a " big name " is also of benefit to us, however, I doubt our powers are stupid enough to hire someone on that basis alone.

There are now also summary stories about the criteria he fit, his interview process and what impressed them about him etc.

Beyond that, I get excited on a match day regardless of who the manager is. 

That can change for the better or worse from kick off though.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I wonder if Norwich fans are obsessed with the fact that Dean Smith is a Villa fan 🤔.

Or, if they'll give him a chance based on his credentials and professionalism. 🙄

I know you don’t agree but the SG issue is about his lack of credentials.  I have no issue with his professionalism or him as a person.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 4

53 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Purslow is a ruthless business man. His overwhelming driver is personal success. You don’t get into his position in life by giving pivotal roles within your organisation to mates. This decision has also been a joint one involving our two owners who are also ruthless business men who will only be interested in protecting and growing their asset.

There are lots of sources who claim that we received some very high quality applicants for the role. We don’t know their circumstances but choosing Gerrard was not an easy decision. It involved paying a large sum of money to extricate him from his existing position. They would not have done this unless they were certain of his credentials. There’s no doubt that they will have chosen the person that they thought was most likely to be successful. 100%. So it’s just a question of judgement really. We have to hope that theirs is good.

All in two days?  They must have worked shifts eh?

Believe what you want mate but the only “source” I heard was Langes 7 second response 

28 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I know you don’t agree but the SG issue is about his lack of credentials.  I have no issue with his professionalism or him as a person.

Agree

But I'd counter that with a possible remit of best young or even best young English manager around and then make a good case for us getting him

That being the wrong remit is something different but I don't think it's far fetched to think that's what we've done 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, macandally said:

All in two days?  They must have worked shifts eh?

Believe what you want mate but the only “source” I heard was Langes 7 second response 

Fair enough mate. So do you think that Purslow gave the job to Gerrard because he is a mate? Just as a side point. This process probably started way before Dean was sacked. They must have a succession plan.

Â