Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

17 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

This is quality content from Norwich tbf. A real treat to fans.

Our media team is severely lacking imo if you compare it to other clubs.

Got to to admire Deano having a tour of that shithole and still managing to pretend that everything's OK.

What an absolute pro. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Condimentalist said:

Got to to admire Deano having a tour of that shithole and still managing to pretend that everything's OK.

What an absolute pro. 

It isn't bad.

Just isn't elite facilities like we have at Bodymoor Heath.

Makes me appreciate what we have even more.

Purslow mentioned Villa is one of the most sought after jobs in Europe, and I can agree with that. Got everything in place to become successful. 

6 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

What an absolute pro. 

I thought the same watching that, a bit cringesome.

You could see he was a bit like: "FFS, Is this it?"

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It isn't bad.

Just isn't elite facilities like we have at Bodymoor Heath.

Makes me appreciate what we have even more.

Purslow mentioned Villa is one of the most sought after jobs in Europe, and I can agree with that. Got everything in place to become successful. 

Yep. Its hardly Blues standard is it?

Plus I am sure Delia can put on a lovely spread.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Can't wait for Gerrard to put his stamp on it.

Been progressively more negative since Craig Shakespeare arrival. Style of play gone to shit.

Hopefully those tedious long throw ins gets tossed in the bin as well.

At least they put the ball in the mixer in the box, with a 50-50 chance of us getting possession and maybe a chance out of it.   All other throw-ins we may as well just throw it straight to the opposition for all the good they've done us the past 10 years.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Watched a podcast earlier, Ashley Preece said he asked Lange today.

I think the answer wasn't definitive in any way.

You mean to say Ashley Preece doesn't have an in that would give him the details of Villa's transfer plans?   I am shocked.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nick76 said:

Well you took that the wrong way!!!

I meant press conferences generally, they never tell you anything.  Doesnt matter who it is or whether it's their 1st, 10th or 50th.

I didnt make fun!

Apologies, If I did.

you see, I really don't want to be argumentative....but I see things, in a mans demeanor when he speaks, its the way he carries himself and the body language.Its not just what he says, its the way he says it.

Its still all to do, I will grant you that, but I think he will do well with us.

The managers who filled me with confidence when they spoke....Bobby Robson, Jose Mourinho, Klopp, Guadiola, Tuchel, Saunders, Clough, Ferguson and lots more.....they all had/have that inner confidence thats present in their delivery.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

This is literally just not true…I can list loads of professions that don’t.

Then why is between 8-9 am the most busy times on the road? Yes people work night shift and work a rota but for crying out loud a footballer turning up to training for 9.30 am or 10am isn’t much to ask? Surely it would be better for their well being not staying up late playing cod? Instilling a bit of discipline and going to bed early because “I have to get up early for work tomorrow “ isn’t much to ask?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nick76 said:

Fair enough! I was just surprised! 

When Dean was sacked I wouldn't have even thought Gerrard would've been on their list. 

He was fantastic as a player and doing decent up at Rangers and really getting some experience under his belt but I never dreamed he would be in thoughts of our Management/Owners, never mind consideration and then to get his job. 

I understand the connection then because of the Purslow links and the the man Gerrard is but just thought he was an outsider and a sloppy link because again of the Purslow link. 

I havent meant to make fun of anybody generally (well apart from the boy band fandom post the other day but that was more about that post than Gerrard or you generally). I'm hoping for really big things from Gerrard and hope he gets this team playing like he did. 

I obviously have reservations, which he proves wrong and I hope he does. 

I honestly have no clue where your excitement comes from for this appointment and I'm jealous because I need that lift. 

The good thing I suppose I have is that I have a low bar expectation now so he should be able to clear that with ease so I should be happy whatever happens and as we know from past history over the years, I'm likely to be defending him to the hilt in a couple of years time over most people in our usual 3 year cycle and then gutted when he leaves and people will comment that I was following Gerrard whatever he does.  The typical life as a Villa fan, or I should say my life as a Villa fan.

Been a bizarre time, I didnt think Grealish would leave, I didnt think Smith would be sacked and I didnt think Gerrard would be appointed.  I'm generally fairly spot on with these things but the last six months I have been well off so your probably right about Gerrard being perfect for us than trusting me given my recent history.  Although given the fever of Gerrard being the favourite I did get odds of 1.91 at PaddyPower so surprisingly I made some cash on it.  I thought it was money down the drain but that was a nice surprise.

Your being too hard on yourself on the last Paragraph.....its no guarantee, but listen to all the podcasts, NOW, listen to Jake Humpreys interviewing him on "High Performance" watch "Gerrard : make us dream" on Amazon Prime.....its the mans make up, I am trying to highlight.

What I didn't see coming, was the amount of Defeats we experienced under Dean....something changed behind the scenes, sure of it.....but we simply couldn't sit by and accept that level of result and performance...as sad as it was.

I will also say this......I will support all our managers and you know, I even supported Bruce, until the results spelt danger.....but I cannot sit by and support any manager, who has 11 wins in 12 months.....and I won't do it, even if it happens with Gerrard, but I just can't see that happening.

I don't think he would hang around, if he was getting those results.

Look, there has been enough talking, now the action starts....but I think you are in for a very pleasant time.....first game Saturday, not sure, too early, for me, but we will wait and see, fingers crossed.

UTV

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Then why is between 8-9 am the most busy times on the road? Yes people work night shift and work a rota but for crying out loud a footballer turning up to training for 9.30 am or 10am isn’t much to ask? Surely it would be better for their well being not staying up late playing cod? Instilling a bit of discipline and going to bed early because “I have to get up early for work tomorrow “ isn’t much to ask?

I think you're missing the point a bit, the point is that it doesn't do any harm to start training a little later as games are later anyway, and if the players are likely to stay up late either way it makes sense to allow them to be fully rested prior to training. 

I guess it depends on your mentality, if its "the players are paid fortunes they can bloody well suck it up and get up early like I have to" then you'll be annoyed, whereas if its "the players are finely tuned athletes and we should do what we can to ensure they are in peak physical and mental condition" then you won't care that they start a bit later 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Seriously mate, that’s not a good basis for your argument.  Yes the busiest time is 8-9am in morning, so what?  Majority of office jobs are 9-5 but shift workers are all over the place from manufacturing companies to emergency services.  Then you have the entertainment industry doing all various hours depending on their role.  Customer facing like bars, clubs, gigs and other such venues working late nights and getting up late.

As for footballers they work strange times as well, some of their key times are 7.45pm-8pm kick off and may not get home to the early hours of the morning if we are playing away if they aren’t stopping overnight.

I hate gaming systems, I have no interest in them but the younger generation do.  I’m not saying they should move the training times to accommodate gaming but if the fitness gurus and data analytics decide to move training times then so be it.  As @villa4europe said there is probably other things around it like assessments and such forth but anyway that doesn’t matter, if they changed it they obviously had the data to back it up.

Plus do you really think those who were playing to 3am are suddenly going to stop because training is earlier?  The fitness and data analytics will be setting these players to be the best they can.  I couldn’t give a crap whether they train at 10am or 2pm, they are still likely to do the same amount of training.  I used to do stock trading mainly on the U.S. markets and I started at midday for a 2.30pm market opening and worked until it closed and after until 12-1am.  On and off for 12 hours a day, 5 days a week…does me getting up at 11am daily make me a lazy person despite doing 60 hour weeks…of course not.

Criticise the effort if poor I understand that but to criticise the time it takes place is just a poor argument, sorry!

Edited by nick76
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, blandy said:

My tendency on these things is to try and work out, a bit, the mindset of the poster. With @nick76 it's quite easy, because he's said many things on Gerrard I might have posted. I don't perceive him to be "making fun" (because I think, I think the same/similar).

I mean for example, I knew already that Gerrard is good with the media. That's nice and an asset, but it's by no means essential - other good managers have been terrible with the media, but thrived nonetheless.

You're absolutely right, I think to highlight that as a player and person Gerrard has a "winning mentality". The concern people might have is that the manager having that mentality doesn't mean it automatically transfers to his players. Some manage that, some absolutely don't. Some fans are kind of seduced by the prospect of a more competitive team, some wonder if that level of drive will lead to a manager getting frustrated with players who are differently wired, who respond best when they feel free to enjoy the game and play without fear of a rollocking if they are perceived not care enough, or whatever, or if results turn for a while and the manager gets angry.

So your enthusiasm and hope for Gerrard and his qualities is fine, absolutely, but other people have as much kind of reasoning or thought behind having concerns about aspects of his managerial life to date. He's never been up against the level of quality of opponent and managers of opponents as he will be now. In Scotland he had basically 1 comparable rival club. Here there's what, 15? it's not a 2 horse race in England. It is in Scotland. Most weeks he had a far superior side and squad with which to go into games. Here, he doesn't. Expressing or alluding to these factors isn't making fun of people who are dead enthused by him, it's just a different outlook.

I don't know enough about managers to pick one, but once one is picked, it's fair to look at them in a bit of detail and comment on how we perceive they might do, or where we thing there might be hurdles for them to overcome and all the rest of it.

But like with all of them, He needs time now he's here.

Pete, I make no apologies for my enthusiasm, for this appointment....but I don't feel that enthusiasm should be ridiculed.

I agree different views, and I also agree, its all to do, to be sure.....I see nothing wrong with folk being upbeat, before a ball has been kicked in ernest, and some of the doubting comments are just what they are....We all know the difference in quality of the SPL v Premier League, but that has short shrift when Erik Tan Hag is mentioned in the Eridivisie, another fancied candidate in some quarters, but no reference to inferior quality league, there.

I understand folk will choose their own criteria, to be enthusiastic or doubtful, and as you say, no one is right.

I also get that, it doesn't always transmit, from great Player to manager, but his time at Rangers hasn't exactly flopped has it?.....I believe what is in a man, his intrinsic drive, determination and will, is a useful barometer, to say he has a chance of getting others to follow his doctrine...just like Shankly did, just like Ron Saunders did...they wasn't exactly shrinking violets on the grass, either....but they instilled a winning mentality.

I am not in a position, to give guarantee's....but I back my judgment, that this will turn out fine....I am merely, sharing my enthusiasm for it.....and the last manager declared, " The team mirrors the manager" ...if it does, and I believe Dean to be right....bring it on.

If folk want to poo poo it ( and I am not referring to Nick) then so be it.

Finally, I will say this, many managers have media training, but I feel I can see the difference in managers when they speak, to see if it means anything or not.....if some folk see nothing, and other folk do, thats down to the individuals perception.

but at the end of the day, its all about winning and the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

UTV

Edited by TRO

5 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

All this talk reminds me of Kodjia. They had to start monitoring his sleep at Bristol City as he kept staying up till 5am in his hotel room the night before a game watching videos.

Kodjia??! Really...?

Â