Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

We bloody well need one!!

We do!

So only Smith and Shakespeare out and Gerrard and 5 others in? We've got a fair size backroom staff now!

3 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

I believe in him. I get a good vibe from him (which means nothing I know). I think he loves the game and he is driven to succeed. Also has top level experience as a captain, I know that doesn't always translate into management. But I am certain that his reputation has probably attracted players to sign for Rangers instead of other clubs. He has improved Rangers and restored them back at the top too. Europa League experience.  I back him to be an improvement on Smith and get us closer to the top end. I hope people are patience with him because he is a very young manager.  

Welcome Steven.

Wow there’s an adult in here!

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Xela said:

Have we had a Head of Fitness and Conditioning before? Thats what Jordan Milson has come in as. 

Was it Ollie Stephenson? It’s clear we need someone in this capacity with all the injuries.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Strog said:

Was it Ollie Stephenson? It’s clear we need someone in this capacity with all the injuries.

Not just injuries, getting shattered (McGinn? Buendia…) after 60 mins or so was a concern…

We didn’t have much of a preseason at all really either… but still…

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Not just injuries, getting shattered (McGinn? Buendia…) after 60 mins or so was a concern…

We didn’t have much of a preseason at all really either… but still…

Yes, general fitness is very much a concern. Hope this gets sorted..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Weechops said:

He loves 433. There's really no change in that preference of shape. The team moves as a unit and don't be alarmed when he allows opposition to take receipt of the ball at throw ins. The team is then instructed to regain the ball in packs and start again. 

To be fair we had a "back to the walls" game against UFA from Russia.  Down to 9 men but Jon Flanagan was immense that night. We outplayed Legia, Benfica ( bad game management cost us 3 points) Porto we played really well and Braga both home and away we upped it second half. 

Leverkusen totally outplayed us. They were smarter,quicker and were fabulous to watch. 

Slavia Prague knew exactly how we played.  They bullied us all over the park. We were incapable of change. 

Malmo despite going 1-0 in the first half and them down to 10 men, simply out smarted us in the 2nd half. That cost us UCL and £30 million. Teams know how we play in Scotland under SG. With better players he should be able to shape the team but if you watch how we have played over the last 3 years this will be your template. 

So why have we paid you a huge sum in compensation and your fans are sad to see him go?...why are we meant to be a stepping stone....is this all BS?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PerryBarrPet said:

We certainly do. A professional football team must operate at peak fitness - so what have we been doing up to now?

I mean most fitness and conditioning is done during pre season and ours was a total mess, since we've had multiple injures with players not up to speed and lots of travelling between countries, our fitness being poor this season isn't really a shock I don't think 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TRO said:

So why have we paid you a huge sum in compensation and your fans are sad to see him go?...why are we meant to be a stepping stone....is this all BS?

You have paid for the brand. The Gerrard brand. Wait till you lose/draw against similar teams and hear his interviews. They are all the same. A lot of us switched off at times. In his first season we had a real opportunity to push on and win the league.  We lost it in a 2-1 defeat at Kilmarnock with Joe Worrall selling both goals.  Two seasons ago we were top of the league and crashed spectacularly allowing Celtic to win an incomplete league. We won 55 and I personally think that it was down to no crowds. The pressure playing for either of the old firm is intense. You need to be able to "wear the Jersey,". Not every fan is sad.  He won 55 but it was stopping 10 for them that was the prize for us. 1 trophy out of 9 in domestic competition is and was poor. Getting put out by St Mirren and St Johnstone in the cups was down to the management team. We should have won a treble last season. AV have better players but he's not a magician. 

2 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

The fans couldn't keep Rangers solvent either. Aren't they already declaring large losses less than 10 years from almost going bust. 

Rangers are a huge team historically but the modern game has for the most part left behind Scottish football. 

In fairness you could probably say the same for Villa but we are in a league that generates large TV revenues and can attract foreign dollars for investment. Hence why we are far more attractive option for Steven. 

I agree wholeheartedly on all of those points.  I'm just surprised that he went to AV and there's no disrespect meant, but I don't see AV getting European football for a while yet. SG isn't getting to Liverpool unless AV win an FA cup or get European football regularly and in particular UCL. Your owners will demand this. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Weechops said:

You have paid for the brand. The Gerrard brand. Wait till you lose/draw against similar teams and hear his interviews. They are all the same. A lot of us switched off at times. In his first season we had a real opportunity to push on and win the league.  We lost it in a 2-1 defeat at Kilmarnock with Joe Worrall selling both goals.  Two seasons ago we were top of the league and crashed spectacularly allowing Celtic to win an incomplete league. We won 55 and I personally think that it was down to no crowds. The pressure playing for either of the old firm is intense. You need to be able to "wear the Jersey,". Not every fan is sad.  He won 55 but it was stopping 10 for them that was the prize for us. 1 trophy out of 9 in domestic competition is and was poor. Getting put out by St Mirren and St Johnstone in the cups was down to the management team. We should have won a treble last season. AV have better players but he's not a magician. 

That's my fear with this appointment. I will back him as long as he is Villa but for me the red flags are all there for this to go sideways. 

• Like 1

Â