The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

36 minutes ago, TheEgo said:

Preece a decent chap, but literally gets told fa from Villa

He's not alone.

I was fortunate enough to work for a former board member at Villa (pre Lerner) who has still has close connections with the club and many others. 

As soon as NSWE came in the staff and any external parties with significant insight were NDA'd up to their eyeballs. That's the reason why when the secondary team keep quiet (Southampton, Ings), things come out of nowhere. The summer after promotion pretty much every signing was out of the blue.

There's absolutely no media briefings, or leaks from within the club on transfers and definitely none on the manager search.

Any Gerrard links will be coming from his camp or Rangers. That would indicate we have already approached the club or his representatives.

Edited by pas5898
typo
  • Like 1

Slowly warming to the idea of Gerrard being our manager. Warming to as in I start to get my hope up that he might be good for us. No real expectations, though. Only hope. I know too little about him as a manager. 

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Really?, easiest decision and job to walk into.  Bigger job, stable squad, talented squad, plenty of talented youth coming through, easy to improve under performing team, rich good owners, great fan base, large war chest, no real issues plus probably a huge pay rise, closer to home, in the PL and your boss (Purslow) is a friend.

He fails and his managerial career is over. Look at all our managers over the years. Where are they now?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ReasonforRevolution said:

Anyone else feeling slightly excited by the proposition of Stevie G as manager?

• Big name who players both domestic and abroad will want to play for. They'll have grew up watching him.
  • High press football.
  • Statement appointment with global outreach.
  • He won't accept anything below 100% effort.
  • Ryan Kent in January anyone?
  • He shunned Newcastle with all their money. So it must means he believes in the project and the goal of Europe.
  • In his latter years, he played DM. We've finally got a DM!

Just really hope he doesn't caress the 'This Is Anfield' sign.

I can’t wait!!  Hopefully Villa Park is rocking against Brighton. It’s a fresh start.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Good point about the players.  I think there was overexpectation of the talent we have and we are definitely underachieving at the moment but we arent as good as some think.

I often do a "best XI" thing with my friends supporting other clubs - always find it amusing at the difference between the number of players from each team we pick (i.e. I usually have more Villa players and they have fewer),  But I am also surprised by how often I might pick a player from their team and them then say that that player is **** or how often they do the same with Villa players.  However, I think before Jack left most "independent" views had us as possibly being the dark horses for European contention (with a fair wind).  My Arsenal supporting friends were certainly getting very worried that we might make things very difficult for them (especially when the ESR rumours broke).  With Jack leaving I think "outside" expectations were that we'd be more likely in the top/mid table group.  So I don't think our expectations as fans were that far off the general concensus on where we were.  If anything, I think our expectations dropped slightly further than the "independent" view when Jack left (and when we didn't sign at least one more "big" player before the end of the window).

7 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Remember the 'middle' small gap in between the two at the very back 

Do you remember when some idiot decided to put a fence top to bottom, down the middle of the Holte, to separate left from right? One daft guess: it was planned to allow away supporters to be on one side! We soon pulled that down!

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

He fails and his managerial career is over. Look at all our managers over the years. Where are they now?

I think that's more of an indictment for the quality of managers we've hired over the years. Villa aren't the reason they've failed after leaving us, they themselves are.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ReasonforRevolution said:

Anyone else feeling slightly excited by the proposition of Stevie G as manager?

• Big name who players both domestic and abroad will want to play for. They'll have grew up watching him.

id add what we already have...if rambo, rambo, chuk and timbo cant get a buzz from him being the boss then im not sure who will do it for them

• Like 1

i guess he gets to meet a fair chunk of the team this week? targett, konsa, hause, axel, sanson, ghaz, ings, ollie, davis, young...probably missing a couple

not sure what youngsters are on intl duty. think JPB and JJ are but not sure about the chukwemekas?

2 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

Do you remember when some idiot decided to put a fence top to bottom, down the middle of the Holte, to separate left from right? One daft guess: it was planned to allow away supporters to be on one side! We soon pulled that down!

Man City home 1976, the fence must go. Blokes turned up with spanners and wrenches. Dennis Tuuart hattrick that day as well sadly 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Indeed - I'd say probably eight or nine of those thirteen things are true and that's more than enough for him to want to be here.

There's also the thing with Rangers that all he can really achieve is to repeat what he's already achieved - there's some merit in that, but he'll want to challenge himself.

- 

But just as it is a risk for Villa it is a big risk for Gerrard too. If he balls it up at Villa that would seriously damage his reputation and potential to one day manage Liverpool. Yes, Villa job is very attractive but Gerrard doesn't need the money and this role could define is managerial career. That takes some balls

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Any premier league club would be a step up even Norwich. Sorry but that is the truth as the financial gap is so big now.  The point I would make is that when O'Neill left Leicester to go to Celtic in 2000 that was seen as a step up, and when Rodgers did the exact reverse a few years ago that was seen also as a step up.

The journalist is bang on, the other chap just comes across as clueless, ill informed and bitter.

5 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Front of a midfield 3, more attacking than we play him 

I don't think he has anywhere near enough guile to play that role. Once the play gets intricate in tight spaces, he can't do it.

25 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Started young with me, as a Holte Ender I was a left sider and the right side was scum 😂😂😂. I used to love the banter between the left side and the right side of the Holte.

I was in the right side! 
And on the 11 bus home I was the ‘back seat’ having banter with ‘The Stairs’ 🤣