The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

2 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Potter isn't coming to us if Brighton finish in the top 10, I'm sorry he just isn't. Villa fans seem to think we're a lot more attractive proposition to managers than we actually are. There's a reason most of the managers we've been linked to have been rather disappointing. 

And to be frank, Potter hasn't really proved he's much good at this level either. All he's done prior to this season is battle relegation. He's just a popular name because he's done well this season so far, but we've seen this happen before. He's not the first manager to have his team over perform for one part of the season before the team goes to shit later and he won't be the last. 

Similar with Hassenhuttl. He's done nothing special with Southampton and he's had some absolutely torrid losses the past couple of years.

We know what both these managers are about. We know they're not terrible at this level, but they're not exceptional either. It's low risk but low potential reward. Gerrard is the high risk high potential reward candidate purely because we don't know how well he'll be able to perform at this level. 

I'm just wondering, if Potter did come to Villa having left Brighton, who do you think would finish higher .... Villa or Brighton?

I'm struggling to read from your post whether you think that Potter thinks he is too good for us, or whether he's actually not very good at all. Which is it?

32 minutes ago, blandy said:

Time will indeed tell. I respect your view on Saunders, Smith etc. That's all good. What I didn't understand is what that's got to do with some fan being "too passive", and that's what baffled me.

I guess I don't need to repeat my stance on managers - I'm sure you recall I didn't ever want or rate Steve Bruce, but once he was here I repeatedly said "the club has to give him time and a fair chance", and I was the same with Deano. I liked him as a manager and don't think he was given enough time, but I do accept completely that the results and performances have been such that those inclined to swing the axe had reason to do so. Having done the axe swinging they need to back it up with getting someone more capable and with the ability to address the weaknesses you want addressing.

My opinon was based on how much stick Purslow has come under for making what must have a prickly decision with a heavy heart.....Is the evidence not clear enough for some to compute....running with a set of results like that with impunity, I call passive.....just my opinion.

I remember, well , you did support Steve Bruce through tricky times as I did, even though you was agin his appointment, remember it well, I felt different, I wanted someone to stop the goals against rot, I didn't see it as long term, team building, just didn't fancy another stint in 3rd Division, now league 1.....but I think we both agreed with the decision,for him to go, when it was made, despite some heart rendering mitigation of his parent passing and the owner, being revealed as a fraud, leaving the club to be run by an office apprentice.....He had to go...I just didn't agree with the toxic situation,leveled at him,that it got too and I didn't agree with Cabbagegate, no matter how funny some found it.

Dean and Steve had 2 parallels the same....both were on  a run of results the club could not sustain.....sure Dean has far more credit in the bank from a promotion and a cup final and clear evidence of improving individual players, so I am not comparing there....I still think the Harmony and stability Dean brought was his biggest asset.

The last line of your post fill me with meloncholy, because outside SG i don't see the persona of the man, that I want to see...However, the club have a much broader brush than me and I trust them to wield it.....I do think they can see the weakness that has been that I refer to/

Like you Pete, I hope they bring it in to the interviewing process and ensure a manager, who can make a make and immediate impression on a bunch of players, who look to me liket they are desperate for leadership.

Ps I think our lads have missed the presence of John Terry much more than has been documented, but JT is a "been there,done it, got the tea shirt"..I think some of us under estimate the power of that influence. ....That is not me saying JT knows more than DS before anyone misinterprets that.

1 minute ago, villabromsgrove said:

I'm just wondering, if Potter did come to Villa having left Brighton, who do you think would finish higher .... Villa or Brighton?

I'm struggling to read from your post whether you think that Potter thinks he is too good for us, or whether he's actually not very good at all. Which is it?

My first point is that if Potter is as good as some people think he is, he's finishing high up the table with Brighton. At which point, he isn't going to switch teams to what would presumably be a relegation battling Villa. And him switching teams right now when Brighton is doing so well atm is straight up out of the question.

My second and separate point however is that Potter hasn't proven he's very good at all either. He could be, but a quarter of a season with Brighton isn't proof of much.

15 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Not sure what your point is, even people who are unsure of Gerrard will give him a chance.

No they wont, there is an element that will be sitting there waiting for his first bad run and will pounce on it - Ive seen it time and time again

My point is lets trust the owners/decision makers and fully get behind it

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Just to clarify. 

Being experienced doesn't equal being good. 

Steve Bruce has 1000 games. 

this. if experienced equalled good then why don't I see it in my own profession as the gold standard?

this is not saying experience is a bad thing, it can't hurt. but experience might be more useful to someone talented than someone just going through the motions.

1 hour ago, Tommo_b said:

Not meaning to pee on anything Ron achieved but I don’t think in this day and age he would’ve been a success. 

I think he would/could....you have to remember some things/attributes are timeless, you could say that about Clough or shankly.....they would adapt to the times, imo.

somethings can't be compared....but somethings can....as an example my Dad being happy in 1950 is no more or less me being happy today.....somethings simply don't change.

I have always said.....The game has changed dramatically...but somethings haven't, if you care to look for them....some are tangible, some intangible.

You take discipline today.....it's still there, but in a different form, and also a different way of defying it too...its more subtle.....is there more or less?, it depends on the environment or who imposes it or ignores it.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Ok we’ll have to agree to disagree.  I also guess you mean Gerrard in the last paragraph but I understand your point

No, I meant what I said...Dean

I will look at SG a bit closer when/if he signs.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, blandy said:

How long do the good ones last?

Serious question - because my impression is they last longer than that on average, and we want a good one, don't we?

(edit, obviously the play on words isn't the serious bit)

😁 Well yes probably, they have to balance out the Nuno’s of this world.

I just don’t think you can appoint managers with the expectancy of longevity or rather discount managers through an expectation it could be lacking.

Yes there is a threat of losing Gerrard to Liverpool but for that to happen he will have to have been successful. I can live with that.

I also think we have to be realistic in thinking any manager that comes in and is able to elevate us from mid table to top 6/8 is potentially likely to become of interest to other clubs. 

If we are looking for a good manager to come in and elevate us who we don’t fear the possibility of losing in a couple of years well that is going to be some damn fine recruitment from Purslow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He was 22 years old 🤣 

Are we going to drag up what any potential manager did as a kid to talk about his character?

Any photos of Dean trying to intentionally injure someone? Or Favre? Or many other people who aren't absolute ****?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

I think he could win every Scottish domestic trophy for the 2 years and still wouldn’t be able to go straight from the SPL to Anfield, he needs to take that risk at some point and, like Carragher said earlier, he won’t get many better jobs than Aston Villa.

Meanwhile...

Zidane goes from a B-team...

Pep goes from a B-team...

Allegri from a small club...

The fascination with experience is an unproductive constraint.

• Like 2