The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

The scouting team are currently hanging around the pubs of Dublin looking for a centre half 

I better go to the pub tonight so. I hear they want a big lad, I wonder what their definition of big means because I think I may just tick that box

4 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Yeah I agree. The Liverpool thing is only an issue because the condescending press coverage will drive us all mad. The possibility of him actually going to Liverpool eventually is neither here nor there, and doesn't really bother me.

It is actually one of the things that bothers me the least about him joining. Even if i think he is a clearing in the woods, i dont think his skills are up to it yet. 

I think its easier to manage the Rangers players than the Villa players. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, rubberman said:

...but in this case, your friend (let's call him Steve), has been working at a smaller business in your industry for 3 years and showing pretty positive signs that he can progress to a bigger role.

Again, I'm not absolutely pro Gerrard, but if he wasn't showing a decent amount of promise to those that know in football, they wouldn't be touting him for the Liverpool job one day. It's more than just his name and footballing past.

I get what you are saying but when we are the level we are, you wouldn’t appoint a CFO for a top 20 listed company from a mid level company with only 3 years experience at that level and no prior finance experience especially when when there is other candidates out there.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ReasonforRevolution said:

I'm always sceptical of Twitter in the knows. But the account that's reporting on Gerrard has got plenty right recently. They reported Mings getting dropped the day before the game. Then the Dean Smith sacking a few days before the actual event. They're saying Gerrard announced Friday. Highest paid Villa manager ever and a big budget in January. Compensation with Rangers agreed. Not sure, it's true, but as I say, they've got a few Tweets right over the last few weeks. That said, if I had that insider knowledge I'd be on Bet 365 not Twitter so we'll see.

Unless they were the very first source of a rumour, they could just be reposting gossip and taking credit for "breaking" anything that turns out to be true.

What they do is leave up anything that looks good, delete the rest, so when you go back through the timeline it all looks legit.

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

We should be hiring a manager that is the right fit for Aston Villa, irrespective of apparent standing in football.  Whether that's Gerrard or someone else, that's the choice the board will be making.

Thats a fair comment Bob but the better the manager, experience/talent wise, the less the gamble.. If he comes, I hope to have my words rammed down my throat because of his brilliance, but I just think its a gamble we do not need to take. If we cannot get top level, them Potter is a better bet for me.

• Like 1

Just now, nick76 said:

I get what you are saying but when we are the level we are, you wouldn’t appoint a CFO for a top 20 listed company from a mid level company with only 3 years experience at that level and no prior finance experience especially when when there is other candidates out there.

THIS.

I was going to explain this as hiring a CFO for a major tech company as someone right out of grad school.  It works when you're a smaller company and don't have a lot of expectations at that time (think Elon Musk appointing JB Straubel at Tesla in 2012), but when you're a major massive corporation with thousands of people working there, you can't take a gamble like that again.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1