The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

When Ron Saunders was appointed nobody wanted him. Everybody wanted Brian Clough. It really doesnt matter what the fans think. 

I think Saunders was out of work though.

I don't see Gerrard leaving rangers to walk into a club where a proportion of the fan base won't give him a chance.

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

Even if all that's true. Stevie G would be straight in the firing line. He would get very little slack / grace period.

Gerrard knows this. I don't see it happening.

I dunno whether he's the right man for the job, whether he'd want it, whether we'd want him (as a club or a fanbase), but these are the base characteristics we need.

If it were Steven Gerrard, if he could mould this Villa squad into his own image as a player we'd enjoy watching them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Exactly. We need a squad with the mindset towards the Head Coach of "I'd run through walls for you because I want to do it, but I also know that if I don't do it you'll kick my arse".

I've had a lifetime of fans from other clubs telling me they "quite like" Villa.  I don't want that.  I want us to be envied, hated, but respected.

Deano united the club from a place that was almost irreconcilable, but now those relationships are repaired it's time to march forwards and kick some arses.

Pashun?

5 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

So they won nothing is what you're trying to say!!

There’s only so far a club like Rangers can go, given their resources. Gerrards record signing for them is £7 million. They’re not expecting to win the Europa league 

• Like 1

Just now, IrishVilla10 said:

There’s only so far a club like Rangers can go, given their resources. Gerrards record signing for them is £7 million. They’re not expecting to win the Europa league 

They've spent Premier league wages or close to on the likes of Davis, Defoe, Arfield and most recently Lundstram. Definitely more money than they can afford.

4 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I dunno whether he's the right man for the job, whether he'd want it, whether we'd want him (as a club or a fanbase), but these are the base characteristics we need.

If it were Steven Gerrard, if he could mould this Villa squad into his own image as a player we'd enjoy watching them.

Lots of ifs in there mate.

1 minute ago, IrishVilla10 said:

In fairness we've just dismissed the only manager that has won honours with Villa in 25 years. I doubt not having won anything will disqualify a candidate. 

6 minutes ago, hippo said:

I think Saunders was out of work though.

I don't see Gerrard leaving rangers to walk into a club where a proportion of the fan base won't give him a chance.

I see your point but I think even people on here who are dead against the idea of him becoming manager would support him if he got the job.

Granted he might not be given as much time as a Villa hero but I don't think there'd be an element of hatred like when McLeish got the job.

I could be wrong but it's not as if Liverpool are our main rivals (or Rangers for that matter 😃)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

They've spent Premier league wages or close to on the likes of Davis, Defoe, Arfield and most recently Lundstram. Definitely more money than they can afford.

It paid off for them to be fair, they stormed the league last year 

Just now, HKP90 said:

In fairness we've just dismissed the only manager that has won honours with Villa in 25 years. I doubt not having won anything will disqualify a candidate. 

Gerrard won the league with rangers last year, and very convincingly. The first manager to stop Celtic in 10 years 

17 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

If he gets us into the top 6 then it wouldn't be too much of an argument as then we are in a better position to attract a bigger name imo.

Spot on.

No. They would be looking for someone with more credentials to achieve their current targets.

Villa are nowhere near that stage yet so it's a bizarre comparison.

Based on your above comment?

Would you rather we got Eddie Howe instead?

Considering what he's done up there with them, I would say it's a good move if he is appointed.

Not really, he had a big task of stopping Celtic achieving 10 in a row which was a massive task initself.

Last season Rangers went undefeated for the whole season.

He's also taken Rangers further in Europe than we have witnessed with Villa in the last 20 years.

He has taken an average Rangers team into the last 32.

So do we just ignore our form of 2021 Nick?

Should we have just kept Smith and piled more misery onto the club, players and the man himself.

We have been very poor indeed and a changing of the guard is the right call imo.

See my response to @bose above and what he has achieved with Rangers on a shoestring budget.

I think Gerrard will improve Villa.

Excellent post Andy and I’d just like to add my quids worth. When Brendan Rogers left Liverpool no one would touch him. He went to Celtic and rebuilt his reputation. Clearly Leicester, a very well run club, didn’t turn their nose up because he’d only done it in Scotland. Remember when he was at Celtic it wasn’t a two horse race it was a one horse race. I know Gerrard is at a different point in his managerial career but winning is winning and shouldn’t be dismissed so lightly. 

I think a lot of us don’t like Gerrard largely because he was such a successful player at a club nobody likes. I doubt the powers that be will take such an emotionally based decision. I’d say he is a much lower risk than a foreign manager and where we are at the moment we aren’t eating at the top table. He has an incredibly competitive nature, more even than most top sportsmen. He single handedly won that comeback European Cup Final. If we can tap into 10% of that we will already be a considerably better team. 

Our main problem during Dean’s tenure wasn’t the tactics, the game management, the subs etc, that everyone liked to bash him with. Our big problem was that we weren’t competitive enough, we did reflect the manager in that we were just too nice. No more Mr Nice Guy. I think Steven Gerrard instantly fixes this and this is his strength. 

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 3