Relegation Avoidance Thread

HanoiVillan

6 minutes ago, John said:

The wins against Everton (3-0), Brighton (2-0), Southampton (4-0) and at Leeds (3-0), were also deserving of an honourable mention, in my opinion.  

They are teams I would be disappointed if we didnt beat 

• Like 1

Hindsight is a wonderful thing , but the pre-season cost us massively.  It all appeared too casual with Grealish circus taking centre stage.  Barbecues and training in London just so a deal could get done!  Poorly prepared pre-seasons are neither good for man nor dog and has cost us big time.  We need next seasons to be full on with no distractions.  If Gerrard can’t deliver after that then it’s goodbye!

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

They are teams I would be disappointed if we didnt beat 

Agreed, no doubt at the moment they see us in the same way though. Hopefully not for much longer!

We should hope for another full lockdown as our lot generally struggle with fans in. You thin they'd embrace it but nope, not to be. Also it's obvious Targett went out on loan to get his wages off the bill, especially as we had both Digne and Coutinho's wages to pay. I'd say El Ghazi as well.

6 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

We should hope for another full lockdown as our lot generally struggle with fans in. You thin they'd embrace it but nope, not to be. Also it's obvious Targett went out on loan to get his wages off the bill, especially as we had both Digne and Coutinho's wages to pay. I'd say El Ghazi as well.

Maybe it's our fans... 

• Haha 2

I don't expect Villa to be relegated this season but the state of the club is too reminiscent of other times to take too much for granted.

The club have bought too many 'creative' and attacking players and neglected the defensive positions, especially in midfield - every time a defender gets injured, expectations go into the negative - Ashley Young has played 21 games.

Villa can look good against the lower third but always flatter to deceive when they play teams showing enough form to be competing for for the top-six.

It's next season I worry about because Villa have done it too many times before, and recent evidence suggests they have run out of luck.

Strange thing is, can anyone remember a time when you often heard the line: It's next season I worry about.

Generally, the following season is for blind, unadulterated hope. Very few seem to believe in Project Gerrard as the season draws to a close. Terrible.

• Like 1

It's been a horrid season, such a let down after so much bluster & hype about how ambitious the owners are. I am sure they are but my goodness me what a mess on the pitch with a shocking number of defeats. Started with an awful pre-season and predictable poor start as a result (Losing in pathetic fashion away at Watford) only to then offer false hope momentarily on a few occasions but to then be let down time after time despite signing the likes of Coutinho etc. The team looks decent in flashes but we have lost both of our better qualities since SG came in which were nearly always being able to score goals and being pretty resolute defensively (last season at least) Now it looks like our strikers are cumbersome & slow both mentally & physically whilst our defence is just all over the place... Even Martinez has looked a shadow.

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Strange thing is, can anyone remember a time when you often heard the line: It's next season I worry about.

Generally, the following season is for blind, unadulterated hope. Very few seem to believe in Project Gerrard as the season draws to a close. Terrible.

I'd say that narrative is only coming from a few people on here, who are basically firebombing their opinion into every thread.

Most Villa fans I speak to in the real world are fine and looking forward to putting this season to bed and seeing what we do in the summer. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

I'd say that narrative is only coming from a few people on here, who are basically firebombing their opinion into every thread.

Most Villa fans I speak to in the real world are fine and looking forward to putting this season to bed and seeing what we do in the summer. 

Fair. I hope that's the case.

1 minute ago, AvonVillain said:

Fair. I hope that's the case.

The facts show he's not doing that bad a job as people try to make out. 11th in the league since he's been here - 3 points less than West Ham, but played 2 games less. 

Yes, It's not brilliant, I agree, but the noises being made by a few on here make out like he's Lee Bowyer!

39 minutes ago, Xela said:

The facts show he's not doing that bad a job as people try to make out. 11th in the league since he's been here - 3 points less than West Ham, but played 2 games less. 

Yes, It's not brilliant, I agree, but the noises being made by a few on here make out like he's Lee Bowyer!

It is to be expected to be honest. A lot of Villa fans don't like SG and didn't want him as manager. Any opportunity will be jumped on to have a pop at him without actually looking at the facts. I am not trying to suggest we are having a great season, far from it, but the bias and narrative coming across in some of the posts on here is quite funny

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Well I break it up to 2 parts and that is the new manager bounce and the mini pre season in his words he had in January. We were fine in the new manager bounce period

The facts since his mini pre season we have been except for 3 impressive wins and except for brief moments its really poor. We are 16th in the 2022 table and only 3 teams have lost more and thats Everton, Norwich and Watford

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Well I break it up to 2 parts and that is the new manager bounce and the mini pre season in his words he had in January. We were fine in the new manager bounce period

The facts since his mini pre season we have been except for 3 impressive wins and except for brief moments its really poor. We are 16th in the 2022 table and only 3 teams have lost more and thats Everton, Norwich and Watford

Yeah if you take out all his wins then he hasn't won a game. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

It is to be expected to be honest. A lot of Villa fans don't like SG and didn't want him as manager. Any opportunity will be jumped on to have a pop at him without actually looking at the facts. I am not trying to suggest we are having a great season, far from it, but the bias and narrative coming across in some of the posts on here is quite funny

A lot of it feels like that - it's gone beyond legitimate critcism because he's "not one of us".

The club is heading in the right direction despite what some will claim. We pick up a few needed points and the boo boys will have less to moan about. It's up to Gerrard and his team and the players to deliver.

4 hours ago, AVFCGB said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing , but the pre-season cost us massively.  It all appeared too casual with Grealish circus taking centre stage.  Barbecues and training in London just so a deal could get done!  Poorly prepared pre-seasons are neither good for man nor dog and has cost us big time.  We need next seasons to be full on with no distractions.  If Gerrard can’t deliver after that then it’s goodbye!

Feels like this isn't spoken of enough. Also, Smith's refusal to play likes of Philogene-Bidace despite his excellent pre-season form was mind boggling. Smith was just as guilty of leaving out such players at the expense of say, Ashley Young, but that's quickly forgotten. Too often we are stop-start, but that isn't exclusively a Gerrard problem. The coaching changes also massively impacted us early in the season as Smith regressed.

We've got so many exciting young players to integrate next season which makes it all the more interesting as to who leaves.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Not doubting the statistics but we were 16th when Dean left and currently we are 15th so how are we 11th in the league since Gerrard came in? We weren't that far adrift under Dean were we? Maths is a funny old bastard 😜