The manager situation

OutByEaster?

Back or sack Dean Smith?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. What do you feel should happen in terms of Dean Smiths tenure as manager?

• Back him for the foreseeable future
    • Sack him if we lose to Southampton
    • Sack him if we lose our next two games
    • Sack him now

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/11/21 at 19:30

A lot of chat about if Dean goes then who do we bring in with a long term plan. 

Short term plan is in my mind, get us out of this downward spiral and then look at the long term options and possibilities 

I am in charge of a process team of 22 people, we have to make a certain target of widgets every night to ensure supply to Toyota, and other car companies, if we stop Toyota we will be charged £10,000 a minute (as they would lose a car every minute) Every hour I am checking and if I can see that we are falling short I have to change things or we fail and Rob will be looking for another job. Yes I have a long term plan with training and planning but I cant sit back and wait hoping it will turn out OK next week or the week after or given until Christmas to hope it gets better. Sure many others of you are in the same position. 

Obviously I know its not the same as football,  But !   We need to change it now do something now and then look at our long term options, I would rather be a Chelsea who quickly change their manager when he fails. Its working for them isnt it 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Brighton is a much better team than Southampton, and Crystal Palace look strong under Vieira. Outplayed Arsenal and beat Wolves 2-0.

If Smith stays we lose the next 2 imo.

A much better team that couldn’t even beat Norwich and Newcastle ?

Would any one fake Farke? 👀 

Alan Nixon saying we are after Kasper Hjulmand of the Denmark national team - absolutely no idea about this guy but Denmark are decent

Edit - soz, seen this mentioned already, only went 2 pages back 

Edited by Jareth

1 hour ago, Robtaylor200 said:

A lot of chat about if Dean goes then who do we bring in with a long term plan. 

Short term plan is in my mind, get us out of this downward spiral and then look at the long term options and possibilities 

I am in charge of a process team of 22 people, we have to make a certain target of widgets every night to ensure supply to Toyota, and other car companies, if we stop Toyota we will be charged £10,000 a minute (as they would lose a car every minute) Every hour I am checking and if I can see that we are falling short I have to change things or we fail and Rob will be looking for another job. Yes I have a long term plan with training and planning but I cant sit back and wait hoping it will turn out OK next week or the week after or given until Christmas to hope it gets better. Sure many others of you are in the same position. 

Obviously I know its not the same as football,  But !   We need to change it now do something now and then look at our long term options, I would rather be a Chelsea who quickly change their manager when he fails. Its working for them isnt it 

It's a good story, but I don't think there's any comparison to running a football team.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Brighton have spent a lot of money - I wish this narrative wasn’t so easily pushed. 

I’m not pushing a lazy narrative. Read my post properly before suggesting that. I said Potter gets more from less resources. 

Compared first XI’s this weekend below. 

TLDR; Our team cost £100m more this weekend. That’s without Ings/Traore, Sanson and Konsa who would increase the total value and average if they’d have started.

Martinez (£16m) 
Cash (£14m) 
Mings (£20m) 
Tuanzebe (£5m loan fee) 
Targett (£14m) 
McGinn (£3m) 
Nakamba (£11m) 
Buendia (£35m) 
El Ghazi (£8m) 
Watkins (£31m) 
Bailey (£29m)

Total: £186m / average player £17m

Sanchez (academy) 
Lamptey (£3m) 
Veltman (£900k) 
Duffy (£5m) 
Dunk(academy) 
Cucurella (£16m) 
Bissouma (£15m) 
Mwepu (£20m) 
March (academy) 
Lallana (free) 
Maupay (£20m)

Total: £80m / average player £7M

I’m sure you could use the net income from Grealish to portray we’ve invested less overall, or whatever. My point is I think Potter gets more out of cheaper players. 

Although I’m sure a lot of managers would get more than Smith has these last 5 games tbf.

Edited by Cizzler
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

I’m not pushing a lazy narrative. Read my post properly before suggesting that. I said Potter gets more from less resources. 

Compared first XI’s this weekend below. 

TLDR; Our team cost £100m more this weekend. That’s without Ings/Traore, Sanson and Konsa who would increase the total value and average if they’d have started.

Martinez (£16m) 
Cash (£14m) 
Mings (£20m) 
Tuanzebe (£5m loan fee) 
Targett (£14m) 
McGinn (£3m) 
Nakamba (£11m) 
Buendia (£35m) 
El Ghazi (£8m) 
Watkins (£31m) 
Bailey (£29m)

Total: £186m / average player £17m

Sanchez (academy) 
Lamptey (£3m) 
Veltman (£900k) 
Duffy (£5m) 
Dunk(academy) 
Cucurella (£16m) 
Bissouma (£15m) 
Mwepu (£20m) 
March (academy) 
Lallana (free) 
Maupay (£20m)

Total: £80m / average player £7M

I’m sure you could use the net income from Grealish to portray we’ve invested less overall, or whatever. My point is I think Potter gets more out of cheaper players. 

Although I’m sure a lot of managers would get more than Smith has these last 5 games tbf.

Just shows the price to pay for "proven Prem/Champ players". On Brighton's side Maupay is their exception proving the rule.

1 hour ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I'm not hugely knowledgable about other major leagues, but a lot of people have suggested tryong to buy out a manager from their contract. Anyone with decent knowledhe suggest who might be a good pick up if we bought out their contract?

Klopp, Pep, Poch, Tuchel or Conte would be good  managers if we bought out their contracts 😀

Aside from that it is the normal debate on here as it is very easy to find fault or a negative stat associated with any manager. Potter plays nice football and they are organised, hence the people that like Potter. Vieira, not mentioned on here, probably as he has only managed in the PL for 11 games is doing an amazing job at Brighton, I think he is the best performing manager in the PL this season so far. If he continues his current progress he will be much sought after this or next summer. Hasenhuttl also has a good brand of football but he has quite a few red flags on his CV but he is doing a reasonably good job at Saints. Rogers is dong a great job at Leicester but he is out of our reach and appears happy at Leicester earning his 10m/15m a year. Frank at Bees is doing well but again a few red flags on his cv and Moyes is clearly over achieving at West Ham. Out of the semi realistic list of managers we could possibly buy out of their contract I think Potter would be my preferred safe bet but if I wanted to take a risk I think Vieira could be a very exciting manager to get

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

I’m sure you could use the net income from Grealish to portray we’ve invested less overall,

I doubt it, I haven't looked at the numbers but they sold Ben White for 50m in the summer which would make a difference to net

14 minutes ago, villanmac said:

Just shows the price to pay for "proven Prem/Champ players". On Brighton's side Maupay is their exception proving the rule.

Were any of our players proven PL players. The only player on that list that comes anywhere close to been a proven PL player is Matt Targett. I think the players we have bought are good but other than Danny Ings we haven't bought any PL proven players

1 minute ago, Cliffy Biro said:

I honestly think id rather take a risk on Smith keeping us up over a risky appointment like the Denmark manager, could be a Remi Garde disaster again.

Denmark manager does look like a dodgy appointment. I am assuming (hoping) that this is just the media making the link because of Lange's connection

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cliffy Biro said:

I honestly think id rather take a risk on Smith keeping us up over a risky appointment like the Denmark manager, could be a Remi Garde disaster again.

He won 5 in 26 in the Bundesliga so its a huge risk

• Like 1

Dean hasn't been made to walk the plank immediately and people are getting antsy, but it's not unusual to wait until Monday to assess, keep in mind that unlike Norwich we have owners who don't live in the country and Purslow may be still mulling things over.

I would expect contact is being made with potential replacements. Smith won't go unless we find someone to replace him. I'd imagine nobody wants Shakespeare, Danks or McPhee as an interim boss, they'd all need to leave with Smith, so it makes sense to find a replacement first.

28 minutes ago, villanmac said:

For sure. Tbh - even by the market inflation. You expect a return of sorts for players upwards of £15m. Potter spent close to £200m regardless. They’ve spent building a squad like we have. People act like he found gems in the lower league for a fraction of the cost. Webster cost upwards of £20m too and yet it’s Mings who’s the regular England man.