Things that piss you off in Video Games

Designer1

7 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

I’m a physical collector. I like to own what I buy and if I don’t like it I can return it, if I finish it I can trade it in. I can play games still that digital only gamers can’t even buy in the online stores anymore. 

Not to mention the fact that if the servers go down and something happens to your console, you're screwed. There's a chance I won't have my Switch library in 15 years the way I still have my PS2 games from 15 years ago. Made me start collecting physically for the Switch (though I still won't turn down 70%+ off deals on the eShop for games I'm not already a big fan of).

Despite the general malaise towards DLC, and rightly so, if it's purely cosmetic items (not including loot crates of course), I don't think the option for those players who can afford it and want to buy the stuff, for whatever reason, is too bad. 

What I do want to mention though is the particularly egregious example of DLC in a game I'm playing at the moment - Tales of Arise. 

For anyone familiar with the Tales series post PS2 / Gamecube era, you'll know it has a bit of a history with DLC. 

Unfortunately Arise takes it to entirely new levels. Not only are there the 'standard' overpriced costumes, but you can also pay to cheat, effectively. You may, should you be so inclined, to pay over and over again for as much in game gold and levels as you want. If that wasn't bad enough, there are abilities locked behind DLC too. 

Pretty shitty, right? Well, every time you camp in game (imagine your basic save spot before a dungeon where the party can chat and you can cook meals for certain buffs) there are massive, blinking, red banners about DLC which is available, and there are icons in the menu everytime you open it. As well as on the title screen. 

A really bad look for Bandai Namco. It's safe to say that their repeated use of such, ahem, techniques in the Tales series is indicative that they must make a shit load of money out of the sales of it. Which is really sad. 

• Like 2

Impossibly fast AI cars in racing games. When they make a balls of something and can just magic their way back to level with you. I get that they're trying to make the race tense until the end, but I will smash a window if I lose this race.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I asked a guy at work this question and his immediate, without pausing response was 'forced homosexuality'

¬_¬

Other than the last of us 2 is there any? 

Laughable what kind of backlash the last of us got before anyone even played it, thats an isolated thing that really pissed me off

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I asked a guy at work this question and his immediate, without pausing response was 'forced homosexuality'

¬_¬

Can he give an example where you are forced to play a homosexual character ? 

Edit : ok I see 1 example above.

• Like 1

On 09/10/2021 at 12:30, Designer1 said:

Oh and levels where you're drugged and/or hallucinating and have to negotiate a psychedelic scenario.

On the whole I'd agree with this with the exception being the LEEEENNNYYYY mission in RDR2.

13 hours ago, hogso said:

Despite the general malaise towards DLC, and rightly so, if it's purely cosmetic items (not including loot crates of course), I don't think the option for those players who can afford it and want to buy the stuff, for whatever reason, is too bad. 

What I do want to mention though is the particularly egregious example of DLC in a game I'm playing at the moment - Tales of Arise. 

For anyone familiar with the Tales series post PS2 / Gamecube era, you'll know it has a bit of a history with DLC. 

Unfortunately Arise takes it to entirely new levels. Not only are there the 'standard' overpriced costumes, but you can also pay to cheat, effectively. You may, should you be so inclined, to pay over and over again for as much in game gold and levels as you want. If that wasn't bad enough, there are abilities locked behind DLC too. 

Pretty shitty, right? Well, every time you camp in game (imagine your basic save spot before a dungeon where the party can chat and you can cook meals for certain buffs) there are massive, blinking, red banners about DLC which is available, and there are icons in the menu everytime you open it. As well as on the title screen. 

A really bad look for Bandai Namco. It's safe to say that their repeated use of such, ahem, techniques in the Tales series is indicative that they must make a shit load of money out of the sales of it. Which is really sad. 

That is really shitty. I'm not the biggest fan of the boomer-ish "in my day the games were...", but honestly, complete games with unlockables within the game seem like a no-brainer, but they just aren't standard anymore and it's sad to see. Abilities locked behind DLC blows my mind. Where's the fun in that?

15 hours ago, BOF said:

Can he give an example where you are forced to play a homosexual character ? 

Edit : ok I see 1 example above.

He was citing Dragon Age and Mass Effect romances as the main 2. I reminded him they weren't 'forced' on you, they were options. I think he just generally doesn't feel comfortable talking to gay persons.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

He was citing Dragon Age and Mass Effect romances as the main 2. I reminded him they weren't 'forced' on you, they were options. I think he just generally doesn't feel comfortable talking to gay persons.

To me as a straight dude in this 30's I love the games that offer the chance to step into someone elses shoes.

For instance last year the creators of Life is Strange (Dontnod) released a game called Tell Me Why, in which one of the characters is trans. It's not a super happy game, but it was eye opening to see that characters experiences and stories. 

I will never understand the mindset of feeling uncomfortable talking to gay people in games (or real life), or witnessing same sex romance. Seeing two dudes kiss isn't going to instantly turn the player gay, but even if it did is that a bad thing? That's the great thing about society tackling more LGBT+ themes is people are going to identify with the characters, they're going to see themselves in certain characters and maybe they'll discover that their own sexuality wasn't as cemented as they thought. We're all on a journey in life, I truly hope that colleague of yours can eventually relax enough to just embrace different experiences. 

That said I do find it curious that they chose games where it is completely optional. Homosexuality in those games will only feel forced if its the only option you choose. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

This reminds me of the current outrage that Superman in the comics (who is no longer Clark Kent but Clark and Lois' son) has apparently come out as Bi Sexual

Some of the comments were "Why can't we just have a straight superhero?"

LITERALLY EVERY OTHER SUPERHERO IN HISTORY IS STRAIGHT! (I have no idea if that's true but you get my point)

Same as this. 99.9% of games have straight characters

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The fact that every time I start a new game I have to go into settings and select 'Invert Y'

What sort of weirdo plays without it inverted?*

*I realise there's probably a load as it's the default but its still **** weird.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

The fact that every time I start a new game I have to go into settings and select 'Invert Y'

*I realise there's probably a load as it's the default but its still **** weird.

Excuse me, I think you'll find you're the weird one.  Weirdo.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

I'm with you. Can't do it the other way round

• Thanks 1

Â