Things that piss you off in Video Games

Designer1

Bullet / damage sponges

Not sure when it happened to me during assasins creed odyssey, a game which I enjoyed, where I'd hit a guy about 100+ times and started to think it was actually a bit shit 

AC in general has some stuff that annoys me, scattergun approach to things, stick 20 plus things in the game and hope the player likes one of them, I think ubisoft do it a lot

Stealth sections in action games

Training levels

And one that's getting worse and not better - the inability to stick a new game disc in and just play the **** thing - which is the whole point of a console 

• Like 2

Loot Box culture.

Watching the update screen more than actually playing the games

Lack of respect the whole industry seems to have towards game preservation. 

The switch towards digital games away from physical. 

• Like 4

Having to log into a webpage to play a game on my Xbox. Looking at you epic games.

Obvious timesinks

Forced online play in single player games

Lootboxes

Unskippable cutscenes

Games that are comprised of mostly cutscenes

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Lack of respect the whole industry seems to have towards game preservation. 

The switch towards digital games away from physical. 

Agree with the 2nd

But if you mean backwards compatability for the 1st then honestly I don't care... I'm not in the slightest bit bothered that I can't play some PS3 game on my PS5, said PS3 game has gone for me, ill have played it or missed it, usually played it if I'm honest

And that's because of point 2, I like physical copies because I trade, I get through a lot of games but only ever have 1 or 2 games at a time, I don't collect them

Old games coming back as a digital service sounds great... But I don't play them, I got excited when that snes mini came out, got one at launch and simply didn't play it, I've moved on

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

Also sequences that give a false sense of urgency.

Like those parts of games where "oh my god the building is falling down, you better be quick!"

But the building will never actually fall down.

• Like 1

• Tying the tutorial in with the narrative. I don't mind tutorials, but if they're not skippable the game is already off to a relatively bad start.
  • Not having separate audio sliders in the audio options. I know devs want to control the experience, but trust the player to mix the audio how they prefer.
  • Games as a service systems such as battle passes and endless end-game content seeping into single player premium games. 
  • Loot box mechanics, or any sort of FOMO (Fear of Missing Out) systems. I understand their inclusion, but feeling like I have to play the game 18 hours a day, or miss out is not a good experience.
  • Unskippable cutscenes. I understand some games are loading the next area during a cutscene, but streamline your asset streaming process, don't force the player to watch your cutscenes on future playthroughs. 
  • Shimmying through gaps. I know this is another way to load, but games especially in the PS4/XOne era were over-reliant on that. "Oh look a cave, but the cave entrance is only 1ft wide for loading purposes", it got old, especially in FF7: Remake.
  • Speaking of FF7 Remake. Slow walking segments while characters talk about mundane shit like plants and how the world is ****. FF7: Remake isn't the only culprit, there are lots of games that do this shit, but it's mega annoying when it happens. 
  • Bad gameplay pisses me off. It double pisses me off if they have clearly focused on the graphics. I couldn't care less about the graphics, it's the gameplay I have to put up with for 20+ hours. 
  • Constant hints. I hate when the game assumes I have early-onset dementia and reminds me every 40 seconds how to play the game. "You can crouch with square"... Thanks, I had completely forgotten since the last time you told me, 40 seconds ago. 
  • Not being able to turn off those hints.
  • Games that follow the rule of threes and nothing else. "I need you to collect three bear arses to unlock the seal of immortality, these bear arses are in three areas, guarded by three bosses". The rule of threes is classic game design, but you can change it up sometimes. 
  • Everything becoming an RPG. I love RPG's, but not everything needs a levelling mechanic and skill trees and item rarity. A game is allowed to exist in a single genre.
  • Like 3

Unskippable cutscenes is a good one. Especially when you're replaying something like Zelda. The cutscenes are essential so I understand why they do it, but **** me it can be long when you already know them.

They should put a replay cutscene option in. That way if you accidentally skip something you can watch it back

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Water levels.

Always the worst level of any game

I was thinking that recently when I played Banjo Tooie which has hands down the best water level of any game/platformer I've played. Probably because you don't have to manage your air supply and have that constant dread of dying.

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I was thinking that recently when I played Banjo Tooie which has hands down the best water level of any game/platformer I've played. Probably because you don't have to manage your air supply and have that constant dread of dying.

It's just always awkward to control as well. Nothing is ever simple, but not in a good way. I've always hated them.

I need you to do a mission, oh yeah sure, I expect it will be local what with you being an inn keeper in a tiny village? Nah mate, way on the far side of the map, get walking. 

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, ender4 said:

What's wrong with this?

I’m a physical collector. I like to own what I buy and if I don’t like it I can return it, if I finish it I can trade it in. I can play games still that digital only gamers can’t even buy in the online stores anymore. 

Â