Ratings & Reactions: Spurs v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/10/21 at 22:59

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

down to interpretaion, thats what I meant....I agree.

I thought they were quicker to the ball too.

Haha. Very good.

I thought we did a good job of winning the ball, our pressing was the best part of our game. 

I thought we gave the ball away far too often with our passing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Panto_Villan said:

The scoreline flattered us today, really Spurs should have scored 3 or 4. It was a poor performance from pretty much everyone bar Martinez.

I think it was the right choice to start the formation and team we did given our success against United. I think it was the wrong choice not to change it up when Spurs took almost complete control of the game and we were left looking toothless.

Still, good teams can have bad results. This Spurs team is a good side but has had a bunch of bad results recently, and the fact we had a bad result against them doesn't suddenly make us a bad team.

I'd like to see Buendia start and for us to revert to playing two CBs in our next match, or at least bring Axel in for Hause. But we've looked somewhat ineffective in open play for a while now so I think a bit of a reshuffle might be in order.

Disagree that scoreline flattered us. It’s not like Spurs had loads of gold plated opportunities. Think 2-1 was about the right result.

(Edit: xG has it Spurs 1.44 - 1.14 Villa, so we were second best but wasn’t a clear win for them. I think a lot of the frustration is more because we all know Spurs are in a rut and could have been beaten with a better performance.)

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, markc said:

Think manc are going for the wrong spurs player. Son is a class player and made us look foolish today. Was the difference (big) between the two sides today.

Disappointing result but we'll bounce back.

Has great footwork, vision and balance......A monster compared to the player against Arsenal.

consistency is the holy grail, we all seek.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Thats why we are mid table, consistency.

Whilst I accept they were up for this game and they didnt give us much time on the ball, I think our tactics were wrong and but for Martinez we would have lost this game by a lot more than 1 goal 

Just now, PaulC said:

Whilst I accept they were up for this game and they didnt give us much time on the ball, I think our tactics were wrong and but for Martinez we would have lost this game by a lot more than 1 goal 

Martinez didn’t make any wonder saves as far as I can remember. He was good today, but it was all stuff you’d want your keeper to deal with?

19 minutes ago, PaulC said:

you don't get much time in this league, we have to be quicker to it and quicker moving it.....I agree, but for Martinez it could have been more.

Spurs are technically, better than us per se....so we have to find other ways to beat them, like Brentford did to West ham, up the intensity and sharpness.

There were times in this game we done well, the pressing was much better, but later on we started losing the ball too easily, and it invited them back in, their superior ball control, was starting to pay dividends.

Personally, I think we have to do better with/on the ball.....its part of the progress....We will get there, but there is a way to go, to gain the consistency.

Edited by TRO

8 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Disagree that scoreline flattered us. It’s not like Spurs had loads of gold plated opportunities. Think 2-1 was about the right result.

(Edit: xG has it Spurs 1.44 - 1.14 Villa, so we were second best but wasn’t a clear win for them. I think a lot of the frustration is more because we all know Spurs are in a rut and could have been beaten with a better performance.)

I genuinely think there were a lot of good chances for Spurs, and Martinez / one of our defenders (or Spurs not finishing well) bailed us out in most cases.

I'm not particularly frustrated with the result, personally. Their attacks just felt way more penetrating than ours and they seemed to have more of them.

26 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Haha. Very good.

I thought we did a good job of winning the ball, our pressing was the best part of our game. 

I thought we gave the ball away far too often with our passing. 

So did I, but they were picking up too many loose balls too, particularly in the middle....for periods in the game the pressing was very good, but it died off towards the end.

We gave the ball away too, because on many occasions, we didn't bring it under control quick enough and we was mugged off it.

In this league, you have to bring the ball under control much quicker and slicker than we did today....else you get clattered and lose it.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

you don't get much time in this league, we have to be quicker to it and quicker moving it.....I agree, but for Martinez it could have been more.

Spurs are technically, better than us per se....so we have to find other ways to beat them, like Brentford did to West ham, up the intensity and sharpness.

There were times in this game we done well, the pressing was much better, but later on we started losing the ball too easily, and it invited them back in, their superior ball control, was starting to pay dividends.

Personally, I think we have to do better with/on the ball.....its part of the progress....We will get there, but there is a way to go, to gain the consistency.

They are not all technically better than us though. Son is a class apart I accept. We should have managed the game better after we equalized. To concede a goal like that only 4 minutes after Watkins scored was very naive. 

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Well this shows things will never change. The usual crowd can't wait to have a moan. 

Starting with the same system wasn't crazy, we've played our best football since Covid hit us these last few games. 

I'd have probably brought Buendia and Traore on earlier but then we got ourselves back into the game. 

For me it wasn't a system error, it was just we had way too many players under perform. Too many bad touches, poor passes and terrible decision making. We might get away with 1 or 2 players off it, but not with so many. Not sure why but I trust us to bounce back. 

Spurs, despite their issues, are still a strong team. Getting annoyed because we haven't beaten Everton, united and spurs in consecutive games just shows the continued progress under Smith. 

You'd think by now people would have realised that this is the life of a mid table premier league team. 

I'll leave the top and bottom bit, because folk are entitled to their opinions.

However, I have to agree with the rest particularly the highlighted bit....spot on for me.

7 minutes ago, PaulC said:

They are not all technically better than us though. Son is a class apart I accept. We should have managed the game better after we equalized. To concede a goal like that only 4 minutes after Watkins scored was very naive. 

I think they are Paul and they showed it....They were more polished on the ball for me.

I accept the goals were poor to concede, and on a better day, we could have avoided, but their overall game was better, they picked up more of the loose balls than us and eventually seized the initiative of the game ....Son was the difference granted, but they wasn't going to lose this.....They stopped us better than we stopped them.

I never thought this game was going to be easy, despite the containing job we did well at Old trafford.

Its no disgrace to lose to a good side and Spurs are as are Man U and Everton...We will have better days, but importantly, we give them a game.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

Spurs are a good side and I think some people lost the run of themselves after a few good performances.

We're still a work in progress who started without our 2 biggest signings on the pitch today, but looking at the spurs 11 today, it still looked stronger than ours. We're getting close, but still a bit to go.

• Like 4

Not downhearted much. Obviously I hate losing. We lost by one goal. Spurs have great players and Nuno is rightly respected by us given how often he has got the better of us over the years. 

I thought we were out thought a little in midfield and would like to see Smith and the coaching staff pick this game apart to see how to address that for Wolves.

Onwards!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Thats why we are mid table, consistency.

Well yeah, but it's far too soon for such conclusions, after 7 games. I firmly believe we'll see more consistency this season. 

I don’t think We played anywhere near to our capabilities today yet still only just lost by 1 goal (which was about right). There has been a massive overreaction to our defeat on here and all social  media today but we have to remember Spurs are years ahead of us in their development and their team probably cost about four times as much as ours.

• Like 1

I dont think it was a bad performance, we pressed them well during the first half, we won a lot of corners, we restricted them to not that many chances. Thing is, we lacked creative quality, all of that was on the bench. With this set of players we are a hush and push, kick and run team. Watkins and Ings wont get any real quality balls to work with, they will need to drop deep to help out and then run after what they are getting, some crosses from Cash and Targett and some 50/50 direct passes in the channels. 

Edited by Keener window-cleaner
  • Like 2

I'm disappointed with the loss, but would have been happy with a point.

For me the game cried out for a bit of rotation, as we have had Chelsea, Everton, Chelsea, Manure & Spurs, and yes I know we played mostly kids in the Cup game, but we have been playing at a high level for 3 weeks against very good teams. There is always going to be a bit of fatigue after a run like that whether physical, mental or both and this is why the better teams have big squads.

As great as Ramsey has been playing, he's 19 and probably deserved a rest, I would have brought Tuanzebe back in and probably Young at LWB for their experience. We could have done with a fresh Sanson today in the midfield had he not been injured and raises the issue that if we want to play 3 midfielders, we are probably short one quality player to rotate and maintain the pressing over 90 minutes each game, week in week out.

Spurs had to win today, they have been under the pump and while they weren't brilliant today they still have players like Son, Kane etc who can hurt any team in the PL at any time. They just got us on a day where we were off by 1%.

• Like 4

Â