Andorra v England/England v Hungary

andykeenan

16 minutes ago, Genie said:

England are due to bomb out of a tournament early. Southgate has been blessed with very favourable draws but it can’t keep happening. 

Qatar will be hot, keeping the ball is key. Playing 2 holding midfielders who are also limited already spells disaster 

I don't believe in all this "protecting the young players" bullshite either. They are professional football players for god sake! They have the experience no doubt and have grafted harder than more than playing a few games in a tournament.

Rodgers is the man for me, if Southgate gives it up after the world cup.  The devil on my shoulder is telling me not to be bothered if we get knocked out early in the Qatar world cup, although the FA and media will probably say we couldn't handle the heat, but there will be only one person at fault.

56 minutes ago, Genie said:

England are due to bomb out of a tournament early. Southgate has been blessed with very favourable draws but it can’t keep happening. 

Germany in the knockout out stage of the euros was a game we would normally loose. I can only see us getting better given the age of the squad. 

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Germany in the knockout out stage of the euros was a game we would normally loose. I can only see us getting better given the age of the squad. 

One of the worst Germany sides ever. Embarrassed at last World Cup and recently lost to North Macedonia 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

One of the worst Germany sides ever. Embarrassed at last World Cup and recently lost to North Macedonia 

They were poor by Germany's standards, but they had still absolutely demolished Portugal two games prior. Let's not make out like they were hopeless minnows.

21 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

They were poor by Germany's standards, but they had still absolutely demolished Portugal two games prior. Let's not make out like they were hopeless minnows.

2 own goals vs Portugal helped but they needed a late equaliser vs an average Hungary team to get through. Have struggled in the qualifying group at times even if have 6 wins from 7

To be fair the age of our team, we should be beating teams like Germany with fast paced football. Problem number one, Southgate don't play that way, number 2, he never uses these players to the best of there ability and I don't think we will ever see the best this team can play under him.

• Like 4

Southgate has started down the Steve Bruce route of feeling sorry for himself style of management. In an article on the BBC he's credited to have said he "commits a crime" every time he picks an England team because of the players he has to leave out. To be fair, we complained each time he'd leave Jack out, but the greater crime is the negative football England play.

Picking Jesse Lingard doesn't help though.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58798060

England boss Gareth Southgate says he "commits a crime" every time he picks a team because of the players he has to leave out - and will make changes for Tuesday's match with Hungary.

England need two wins from their three remaining qualifiers to reach next year's World Cup in Qatar.

Edited by Jonesy7211

On 10/10/2021 at 12:17, PaulC said:

True but that was at Wembley. They aren't great currently but it was still 0-0 up to about 75th minute so neutral venue would be different story.

When you look back Ukraine at QF stage was ridiculously easy draw compared to pretty much every other game.

That will be Southgate's problem for 2022, lose to a France or Spain in quarters and that won't be good enough anymore although I think England can still be a major threat at euro 2024 and 2026 world cup aswell with age and profile of squad.

Not bothered about international football but one thing that pisses me and others off - any time England look like doing any good we have to suffer the cringeworthy "football's coming home" bollocks.

Pathetic.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 12:17, PaulC said:

Not with Southgate as manager, because when it really matters, he comes up short.

49 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Not with Southgate as manager, because when it really matters, he comes up short.

he'll continue to do ok

with the forward options he has he cant not do ok...but thats the thing, its almost in spite of him, they get him out of the shit, Kane and sterling despite not always playing well are in really good goalscoring form for england, we dont need 70% possession and 20 shots to score a goal and southgate knows it, he can do what he did against germany where we contained them and then poked and prodded them before bringing grealish on and finally attacking them and winning the game (it wasnt comfortable though, muller has to score that 1 on 1) but ultimately the leash that he puts them all on will mean that we fall short

if he just went up 10% in his attacking ambition we will win something but he wont, something as simple as bellingham in for phillips and we are a much better balanced team, not a **** chance is that happening

the croatia game where we won 1-0, that is southgate ball for me, shit game, dirth of quality, but croatia never threatened us and we had 2 flashes of quality in the 90 mins, scored with 1 of them, its enough for him

• Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 11:53, foreveryoung said:

I don't believe in all this "protecting the young players" bullshite either. They are professional football players for god sake! They have the experience no doubt and have grafted harder than more than playing a few games in a tournament.

Rodgers is the man for me, if Southgate gives it up after the world cup.  The devil on my shoulder is telling me not to be bothered if we get knocked out early in the Qatar world cup, although the FA and media will probably say we couldn't handle the heat, but there will be only one person at fault.

Rodgers or Potter I'd be very happy with. Tbh I'd be happy with pretty much anyone who's not Southgate.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, VillaChris said:

True but that was at Wembley. They aren't great currently but it was still 0-0 up to about 75th minute so neutral venue would be different story.

When you look back Ukraine at QF stage was ridiculously easy draw compared to pretty much every other game.

That will be Southgate's problem for 2022, lose to a France or Spain in quarters and that won't be good enough anymore although I think England can still be a major threat at euro 2024 and 2026 world cup aswell with age and profile of squad.

True Italy we should have been capable of beating but southgate went in there with a totally negative mindsight. No excuses anymore we have the best talent in the world. We have to win things. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

True Italy we should have been capable of beating but southgate went in there with a totally negative mindsight. No excuses anymore we have the best talent in the world. We have to win things. 

The tactics after the goal in the final against Italy were shocking. Mancini changed his system and Southgate just stood still, thinking he could hold on to the 1-0. He then did nothing when it was 1-1 looking like he was happy with it to go to penalties??

• Like 2

Â