Biennial World Cup

LondonLax

In my opinion the World Cup is a special event in its current format, one that I look forward to watching because of it's rarity. If the world cup is held every two years the special feeling wears thin, and it becomes just another event. The only way this idea doesn't happen regularly is if the fans boycott watching it, and the tv and sponsorship deals fall through as a result. Basically the cash cow is milked dry. It won't happen though, fans will continue to watch it like they do the Champions League.

Also, what does this mean for the Euros? Currently the Euros dovetail nicely in between each World Cup and although it's not as special as the World Cup it is still an enjoyable tournament, although I will admit that I wasn't keen on the latest Euros as it didn't feel like it had an identity because it wasn't hosted by one country.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

It'd be like selling easter eggs all year round. The scarcity is what makes it as exciting.

Just to put it into perspective, if world cups were played every 2 years, Ronaldo would have gone to 8 world cups already.

1 minute ago, NeilS said:

In my opinion the World Cup is a special event in its current format, one that I look forward to watching because of it's rarity. If the world cup is held every two years the special feeling wears thin, and it becomes just another event. The only way this idea doesn't happen regularly is if the fans boycott watching it, and the tv and sponsorship deals fall through as a result. Basically the cash cow is milked dry. It won't happen though, fans will continue to watch it like they do the Champions League.

Also, what does this mean for the Euros? Currently the Euros dovetail nicely in between each World Cup and although it's not as special as the World Cup it is still an enjoyable tournament, although I will admit that I wasn't keen on the latest Euros as it didn't feel like it had an identity because it wasn't hosted by one country.

I think they did the one Europe idea because it was a big anniversary of the tournament. Well I hope so anyway because I agree with you the tournament lacked identity without a single host. 

• Like 1

its an absolutely terrible idea, giving no care to players or clubs, we need less internation games tbh, not more.

Its clearly an idea to make more dirty money.

Dirty money will probably win out.

The end.

I think it's an awful idea, if the World Cup happens every two years it would take away from the thrill and anticipation of it. Same goes if the Olympics all of a sudden decided to have it every two years. In the end don't think it will actually happen but if enough money gets passed around who knows

3 hours ago, TreeVillan said:

I think they did the one Europe idea because it was a big anniversary of the tournament. Well I hope so anyway because I agree with you the tournament lacked identity without a single host. 

Ah that kind of explains it. Hopefully a one off though. 🤞

• Like 1

I’m not watching the next one anyway and if this becomes reality, I have probably watched my last ever World Cup.

And I f***ing love World Cups :( 

Edited by El Zen

Said in the other thread I have an interest in the next world cup purely as a travelling fan as to how it would work, its a world cup being held in the space of the west Midlands, compare that to the one after which spans from Mexico City to Montreal 

2 year world cups surely wouldn't come with the new infrastructure either? Qatar has the benefit of this long lead in, all these new stadiums and new infrastructure, the £20bn odd the country has spent, that can't happen for a tournament every 2 years? 

8 hours ago, sne said:

How about a Battle Royale style tournament where every nation faces up against each other on a giant field and just goes to town. Just an endless number of sponsored VAR breaks sprinkled with the odd seconds of football and then people can go on the FIFA Facebook site and vote for who they think should get the trophy. Beyonce and Bono handle the opening and closing ceremony, all sponsored by Qatar, China, Amazon and whoever it is who makes Soylent Green.

Good idea but even better if each player was in a car.  With rockets.

Then they could call it something like… Rocket League.

• Like 1

Every 2 years if its a summer tournament but throw in Qatar and Co and its 18 months then premier league and elsewhere fixture lists are ****  and it don't work!  Jog on Wenger if it ain't broke don't try to fix it!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, will87 said:

The Euros would move to every 2 years as well so you'd have a major international tournament every summer, madness.

and an African Nations Cup every other January....be no actual space from football

9 hours ago, will87 said:

The Euros would move to every 2 years as well so you'd have a major international tournament every summer, madness.

It also **** over the women’s World Cup which currently has a bit of clear air to develop a following. 

• Like 1

Â