Energy Bills

Genie

18 minutes ago, bielesibub said:

What with this weather and the rising costs of everything, wonder if now would be a good time to stock up on Winter wear? that is before another 5-bazillion% gets added onto to price come the Autumn/Winter.

!!! PANIC BUY JUMPERS !!!

up to 50% off at outdoor and country

https://www.outdoorandcountry.co.uk/sale/mens-clothing-sale/mens--knitwear.sub?s=i&page=1

Maybe @Stevo985 should think about investing in some nice thick socks for those cold winter nights when the gas has been turned off?

The ironic thing is I probably wear socks more than the average person, because I hate feet, including my own. So around the house I'm never barefoot, ever.

But I'm comfortable with my no sock status

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

The ironic thing is I probably wear socks more than the average person, because I hate feet, including my own. So around the house I'm never barefoot, ever.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Yea, we know it's just a VT meme now, like Dave, Kenneth, Plethora etc.

Just be glad it's a beige as not wearing socks ;) 

• Like 2

Just had this email from British gas, I assumed the money would sit in my energy account but it’s actually refunded to my bank.

How do I receive the discount?

For Direct Debit customers, we’ll send the discount straight to your bank each month – like a refund – once your Direct Debit has gone through.

For example:
If your Direct Debit is £100 a month, you’d pay that as normal. Then a few days later, £67 will be paid in to your bank account. If your Direct Debit is less than £67 a month, say £50 for example, £50 will be refunded to your bank account and the remaining £17 will be applied as credit to your energy account.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Just had this email from British gas, I assumed the money would sit in my energy account but it’s actually refunded to my bank.

That interesting, not had an email yet.

Its quite a big concern though. Some people can't look after their money and will spend it. I know people who used the payment for those eligible as low earners to put towards a holiday and other stuff. Its like universal credit payments for rent, this should go straight to the housing associations (it can do but not compulsory) people will use it for how they see fit, and sometimes this is not the best use and just causes bigger problems further down the line.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Just receieved the same Email. Thought they asking me to increase direct debit. But says, I don't need to do anything on my £125 a month direct debit for gas and electric, I am 45 quid in credit and on my fixed till feb 23, so may miss out on all the hikes, which is mega!

Not sure who else took a fixed when everyone was telling us not too, but we proper hit the jackpot there!

Edited by foreveryoung

22 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Just receieved the same Email. Thought they asking me to increase direct debit. But says, I don't need to do anything on my £125 a month direct debit for gas and electric, I am 45 quid in credit and on my fixed till feb 23, so may miss out on all the hikes, which is mega!

Not sure who else took a fixed when everyone was telling us not too, but we proper hit the jackpot there!

I’m fixed till June 23, then my DD will probably got up 3.5x from what it is today.

2 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

That interesting, not had an email yet.

Its quite a big concern though. Some people can't look after their money and will spend it. I know people who used the payment for those eligible as low earners to put towards a holiday and other stuff. Its like universal credit payments for rent, this should go straight to the housing associations (it can do but not compulsory) people will use it for how they see fit, and sometimes this is not the best use and just causes bigger problems further down the line.

You can't babysit everyone though. You have to allow people to take responsibility for their own actions sometimes. 

21 minutes ago, Xela said:

You can't babysit everyone though. You have to allow people to take responsibility for their own actions sometimes. 

No and people bring it on themselves. Through many things in life and work, my motto is 'people are stupid' and i'll try and consider what stupid things people will do, and how they might not listen or read properly. 

My wife works for a housing association, specifically shared ownership and the amount of people that will get into arrears, have their head in the sand and will still prioritise holidays. You've still got to enjoy yourself but spending a few grand on a holiday when you owe a few grand is crazy when you can lose a house that you part own.

It seems a bit ridiculous anyway, but when people are seriously struggling with money the chances that any of that money being used for its intended purpose are slim and that's not even the ones that will use it frivolously.

We will see what other suppliers do but I would presume the idea of the help going direct to the suppliers was to avoid this situation?

• Like 1

So if your DD is £300 and you’re struggling to find the money to pay it you’ve still got to put the £300 in to then get the £67 back? What a stupid method.

I assumed the £67 would drop into your account leaving only £233 to find. 

Edited by Genie
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Socks are fine providing you don't do either of these two things.

Wear them with sandals.

Wear them in bed.

Edited by AshVilla

Labour are going to demand that the government instruct Ofgem to freeze the cap on bills at its current level of £1971. It is similar to what is happening in other countries and shifts the burden onto those making the huge profits. Going to be interesting to see how Truss and Sunak respond. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Labour are going to demand that the government instruct Ofgem to freeze the cap on bills at its current level of £1971. It is similar to what is happening in other countries and shifts the burden onto those making the huge profits. Going to be interesting to see how Truss and Sunak respond. 

This may be a waste of a post as I'm not 100% sure but are ofgem suppose to be independent as in not being able to be told what to do by government

15 minutes ago, phily85 said:

This may be a waste of a post as I'm not 100% sure but are ofgem suppose to be independent as in not being able to be told what to do by government

It's failing in it's primary duty. "... to protect the interests of consumers, where possible by promoting competition." It appears to be making sure energy companies make vast profits

Just now, bickster said:

It's failing in it's primary duty. "... to protect the interests of consumers, where possible by promoting competition." It appears to be making sure energy companies make vast profits

Yes definitely, wasnt they recently saying they are looking at punishing companies that offer lower deals or something along those lines. 

A quick google suggests Labour have been questioning ofgem and saying not fit for purpose since at least 2012.

• Like 1

Â