January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

1 hour ago, Danishlad said:

Should have used the Ings money to buy Bissouma.

I reckon  we only got Ings cause we tried to get Ward Prowse. And Southhampton Said no, but you can have Ings.

Was Bissouma available then and would he have come to us? I don't think Saints said "no" they just wanted more than we were prepared to pay for him (£50m a little bit like Bissouma now perhaps?). I doubt it was a case of one or the other for us, it may have been for the Saints though, as letting both players go in one window, would have been hard to recover from. 

For me, Ings was a top signing. It may yet to have worked when it comes to playing two up front together, but it does offer tremendous cover for injury/suspension, if we are to play one up front. 

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think on paper it looked a good signing and it looked like he would (again on paper) partner well with Watkins. We can all agree though it hasn't worked out as a partnership (yet at least). So we now have a quality Pro and a good competition/ cover for CF. 

What other CF signing could we have made in the summer though? We don't sign back ups as that's a bad policy we sign players to take / compete for the positions. Alveraz probably only one that comes to mind (I bet he was holding out for a bigger club I feel). 

Yeah I was gagging for us to sign Alvarez in the summer. Nothing to say he would have had the same development as he's had at River had he moved to Europe thou. Just thought he looked really interesting.

My main argument in the summer was that I rather we signed someone less high profile and lower age so that Watkins had still been the clear #1, to begin with. I just thought Ings would cause problems in squad dynamics. Not by any fault of Ings mind. Just thought it wasn't a great psychological move in the regards to Watkins. Same reason I was against us signing Tammy who's doing great at Roma atm.

Moving forward we are going to build a squad with a healthy competition for places at every spot, Gerrard has stated so himself. Players just need to man up and handle it and they will, as long as things are going well.

29 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

I love Mings. I love that we have such an eloquent and impressive member of our squad and that he's our captain who represents us well and has done well when called upon for his country. His leadership skills on the pitch are horribly underestimated too, clubs like Arsenal have literally been crying out for leaders for over a decade. Probably nearer 2 decades now. And we have a great one we disrespect so often.

That said, I can understand he makes mistakes and turns 29 soon - not so old he should be binned - but old enough we should have a medium term plan incase he is one of those players that drops off quickly when he turns 30 (his lack of games during his Bournemouth spell probably means he has a good few years yet).

But looking at Tarkowski - as decent as he is - as a Mings replacement baffles me. He is decent but the same age, has some similar deficiencies and isn't the ball playing CB we would need to upgrade on Mings in the long run for our style. To compete with Konsa? Sure he's better than nobody. To replace Mings? Jog on.

Adam Webster gets all the plaudits lately as the ball playing CB from pundits. Plays more long balls (and more inaccurate) than Mings. 8.8 per game, 5 inaccurate. Has attempted 30 short passes more than Mings, with the exact same inaccurate passes (86). Admittedly in a few less games this year, but the stats show Mings is better than he gets lambasted on here for.

What stats do u have that Mings is statistically better than Webster. I am not saying u don't have any but any I have seen has Webster as better

20 minutes ago, Villaphil said:

Can’t help but feel there’s a clear-out due in the next few days….  Could easily see

Out:

Trez, Targett, Luiz

In:

Hickey, Bentancur, Bissouma, Gomez

Sales c. £70m, Purchases c. £100m.

What. 

The f**k. 

Is this. 

• Haha 4

26 minutes ago, Villaphil said:

Can’t help but feel there’s a clear-out due in the next few days….  Could easily see

Out:

Trez, Targett, Luiz

In:

Hickey, Bentancur, Bissouma, Gomez

Sales c. £70m, Purchases c. £100m.

If your player valuations has Trez, Targett and Luiz at 70m I think the 100m for Bentancur, Bissouma, Gomez should be closer to 200m :)

Edited by Peter Griffin
Fixed a typo