January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

29 minutes ago, John said:

Southampton's new owners seem to be being linked with looking to follow the Brentford example, when it comes to buying and selling. Given that, how about going in again with a cheeky £20m bid for JWP, with a view to upping it to £30m to get the deal done? ;) 

I'm guessing JWP has a release clause just put into his contract, rumour is it's 50 million.

• Like 1

I'm not sold on JWP. He'd be an upgrade but he's not the DM we need. I understood it more in the summer when it looked like we were going to sign him and maybe lose Luiz to Roma - and Jack was in the press saying we had no set piece takers, we'd have had someone to put away all those freekicks Jack won.

But we all knew that stylistically JWP was very similar to what we have already And we still have them all. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he'd fit in well - but as a replacement for Luiz, Ramsey or McGinn when they're in those two wider 8 roles. He's not the out and out DM that needs to replace Nakamba in the way we line up.

therefore I don't think he'd be the right guy for us now. We don't win anywhere near as many set pieces as we used to, we already have some good performing players in that position and have a very clear need to fill that he wouldn't fill. Not to mention his new 5 Year contract

• Like 1

The fact Hickey is two footed (going from posts above, I’ll not seen to much of him) is a big plus. 

Having someone who can confidently and competently cover both fullback positions would be massive

55 minutes ago, hippo said:

If not beating a full back and putting a cross into the penalty area - comes under lack of grit - then agreed we definitely lack that. 

If lack of grit is every player running at 100 MPH for the first 20 mins (when we look good) but then unable to sustain it much past that - to me thats lack of technique and guile - not grit.

Hmmmn, not so sure i agree with that tbh.

A lack of grit basically means they are just not determined enough to win the game. A bit half cocked so to speak. Not busting a gut to win their battles and basically being too passive.

I don't quite see how a lack of grit is every player running at 100 MPH for 20 mins? If you mean they are going in at 100% for 20 mins & burning themselves out rather than pacing themselves over the course of the game then that may be a lack of fitness & or guile/intelligence in respect of not picking their moments properly & going gung ho i guess but it looks like they sometimes think they can win a game easily, get 1 or 2-0 up (Chelsea, Wolves, Brentford) and they then go into second gear when they then get outdone by the basic desire & determination of the other team to win. This happened against Brentford from what i saw. We had the players on the pitch to win, indeed even during the game Brentford lost a couple of the few better players they actually had to injury and we still had clearly lost focus and lost the game really poorly.

It looks like they just switch off or often fail to get going until they get roasted at half time. This has happened several times already under Gerrard. All signs of a lack of focus & desire to me. If we had more leaders & burning desire to win on the field that roasting could happen in game when needed thus reducing the spells of mediocrity & hopefully improving results...Small margins & all.

If they are only working properly or hard enough for 20 mins then that would show a possible lack of fitness, determination, desire. It may also show that they lose focus quite quickly which again to me would say desire is questionable or they simply mentally give up which can of course be affected by confidence too. That is where the leader(s) need to step in.

Of course i say all this in the knowledge that the Premier League is the peak of World football so the margins between success & failure are tiny. Of course they want to win, of course they try but to be the best of the best they need to find that extra 10% as that makes all the difference between success & failure. It needs World class grit & leadership, average or just very good simply doesn't cut it as they all have that at this level.

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Adama Traore being touted around at £20m...

Seems cheap and would certainly add a lot of pace and strength to the team. I know he's a marmite character but I'd be all over him at that price. 

He's a wild card all right but for me he makes things happen...He's unplayable sometimes.  Made the difference for them at Old Trafford at the weekend and caused us loads of issues when they beat us. 

I realize his flaws of course having said that.

7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Adama Traore being touted around at £20m...

Seems cheap and would certainly add a lot of pace and strength to the team. I know he's a marmite character but I'd be all over him at that price. 

you constantly bash Bertrand but you would happily take Adama :D  

Just now, Zatman said:

you constantly bash Bertrand but you would happily take Adama :D  

Hells yeah I would! Bertand is slow and weak and the other is fast and strong. 

Yes, Bertrand has elements to his game that surpass Adama's, but Adama is far more dangerous. 

5 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

I'm not sold on JWP. He'd be an upgrade but he's not the DM we need. I understood it more in the summer when it looked like we were going to sign him and maybe lose Luiz to Roma - and Jack was in the press saying we had no set piece takers, we'd have had someone to put away all those freekicks Jack won.

But we all knew that stylistically JWP was very similar to what we have already And we still have them all. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he'd fit in well - but as a replacement for Luiz, Ramsey or McGinn when they're in those two wider 8 roles. He's not the out and out DM that needs to replace Nakamba in the way we line up.

therefore I don't think he'd be the right guy for us now. We don't win anywhere near as many set pieces as we used to, we already have some good performing players in that position and have a very clear need to fill that he wouldn't fill. Not to mention his new 5 Year contract

I’d have JWP here in heart beat, but he’d be replacing either Sanson or Dougie and competing for an 8 spot. He’s not the CDM we need so a luxury this window. 

Agree with the Hickey love-in for LB, add one of Zakaria, B Kamara, or C Doucoure, and we’re in good shape. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Fine. But he's miles better than Traore, Trezeguet and El Ghazi and at £20m, it's a steal. 

He's way faster than them I'll hand you. No assists, no goals, no point. A fine athlete. 

• Like 2