January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think there an overhaul will come, but I'm not sure we'll be wanting to move a lot of players out - we need more bodies - ideally you'd want to add four or five to the numbers we already have.

Agreed and I’m hoping it’s the next level quality.  We have really good players but I sometimes look around and wonder where that difference maker is.  Martinez is obviously it in goal but outfield we need one or two real quality players to make a difference

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Both Bardell and Ashley Preece have said he wants minimum 3 players this window.

Preece pointed out that he signed 41 players at Rangers bloody hell.

Hopefully 3 players to go straight into the starting 11 because they’re better than what we already have. No point replacing the likes of El Ghazi and Tuanzebe with like for like players.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, WHY said:

Missing 4 starters would effect any squad. Our bench would have looked a lot better if even 2 of these were available. Look at Liverpools bench yesterday.

I agree. Those 4 form the spine of our starting 11. Remove the spine of any team outside of maybe City and Chelsea and they would struggle. Add in the fact that you have to play Luis in a position that in my opinion is not his best and also have to chuck in Traore for his first start in months! Not forgetting that SJM has just been through Covid (and Christmas!). It’s not that surprising that we weren’t great!

6 hours ago, sne said:

Catnwell who also has just 6 months left on his current contract (1 year extension possible)

We need players with more physical presence.  Think nice players with ability but wouldn’t be best at getting stuck in should be down the list.

Just now, HeyAnty said:

We need players with more physical presence.  Think nice players with ability but wouldn’t be best at getting stuck in should be down the list.

Yeah I wouldn't be looking at Cantwell regardless of price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Lukaku up front and Rice as CDM. 200m and 500k a week and we are sorted

I'm with @useless on that to an extent, I'd like to see us make a couple of sensible signings in January that address our shortages in numbers, a LB and a CB.

Then in the summer I'd like to see us sign a couple of players that make a statement on where we want to be and how we want to be thought of, a couple of £40-60m men.

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm with @useless on that to an extent, I'd like to see us make a couple of sensible signings in January that address our shortages in numbers, a LB and a CB.

Then in the summer I'd like to see us sign a couple of players that make a statement on where we want to be and how we want to be thought of, a couple of £40-60m men.

I wouldn't like the LB or CB to be backup to Targett and Konsa/Mings. They should be coming in with the intent of taking the 1st 11 shirt. Backups would be a backward / stagnation step for me

• Like 3

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Why wait until the summer? Yes it’s hard to sign players in January and yes even harder to sign quality but that should be our goal.  Every window is a chance to sign players and could make a real difference.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I don’t want just competition for Targett, I want somebody a lot better, somebody who makes Targett the back up

And the same for every player we ever buy from now on. We have the squad, we have the numbers. It is now about quality and current 1st team player should gradually become our bench players. With our blossoming youth setup and the correct transfer strategy that is what will get us into Europe

• Like 2