January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

Coutinho would have been a good signing a few years ago for a club to resurrect his career.

Now, at 29 years old, it would be a huge gamble and an expensive one at that. If it takes him a year to get back up and running he's the latter side of 30.

There are better, safer options out there for less money. Although there is no doubting it would be a statement signing at the least.

People turned their noses up at N'Zonzi a few seasons back for similar reasons.

Went to Roma and then Rennes and was largely a success from what I gather.

I'd say he'd of been a marked improvement on anyone we have playing a purely defensive role in midfield. 

7 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

I'd say he'd of been a marked improvement on anyone we have playing a purely defensive role in midfield. 

N'zonzi was not earning £380k/w. And he'd also not been mainly a bench warmer with bad injuries for those years before he moved to Roma

Fwiw Coutinho currently has Covid so I doubt he'll be doing any transfer medicals in the coming week.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

N'Zonzi was much, much cheaper than Coutinho would be.

He also went to Roma for a year and has been loaned out from them according to Wikipedia every year since. That isn't the kind of signing we'd want to be making now?

Yep, nzonzi wasnt a £140m 3rd most expensive signing of all time earning £380k a week joining a mid table team 4 years later because he can't get a game because his club dont want him

Its the baggage coutinho would bring with him and how much fire is left in his belly that i think is the risk

He's started 5 league games this year for a really poor barca and like I said barca are giving games to a lot of players ahead of him including players from the B team 

Not sure why people are even talking about Coutinho at the moment, that villamole/thatcherlover has been caught out not telling the truth on several occassions, including by people who work at the club, he's never been proven to be 'ITK' about anything and has never broke any news, they (villamole/thatcherlover) talk as if they know everything that goes on inside the club, but there's no evidence to suggest that they do.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yep, nzonzi wasnt a £140m 3rd most expensive signing of all time earning £380k a week joining a mid table team 4 years later because he can't get a game because his club dont want him

Its the baggage coutinho would bring with him and how much fire is left in his belly that i think is the risk

He's started 5 league games this year for a really poor barca and like I said barca are giving games to a lot of players ahead of him including players from the B team 

Isn't that partly because there is some clause that means Barca must pay Liverplop a huge sum if he plays a set number of games? Or have they already passed that point.

Anyway, if he was good enough they'd still play him, and he's not so they don't

Fair enough @HalfTimePost and @villa4europe I didn't really consider the financial side of it at all.

Assuming there weren't any suitors to pay the kind of money his prime years at Liverpool brought him, then perhaps he opts for a project that could potentially revive his best football for him as opposed to just chasing the closest contract to his Barca one.

Just a thought. Didn't mean to derail the thread with something that won't happen.

Edited by A'Villan

And we're unlikely to be in the market this window for another No.10/winger when we've just spent close to £70m on that position in the last window, and some of our most promising younger players play in that area as well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sne said:

Isn't that partly because there is some clause that means Barca must pay Liverplop a huge sum if he plays a set number of games? Or have they already passed that point.

Anyway, if he was good enough they'd still play him, and he's not so they don't

A signing that’s got Newcastle written all over it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

A signing that’s got Newcastle written all over it. 

I'm surprised they haven't already announced Aaron Ramsey (senior) on a 5 year deal from Juve

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, useless said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see us make a move for Tosin Adarabioyo as a replacement for Tuanzebe.

I would say it would be very difficult to get Fulham to agree to sell him. He plays 90mins every game and Fulham are well positioned for auto promotion. I can't see them entertaining any offers tbh

With Tuanzebe likely to be moving on next week, I wonder if Gerrard will look to take Connor Goldson as a short term option to cover Konsa?

He’s a local boy and desperate to be closer to his family. I’ve spoken to his father a couple of times in the past when he was linked with Wolves and West Brom.  Not sure if he’s really good enough but could be a short term squad option.

2 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Leaves us v light at CB, presume we have an immediate replacement lined up…Gomez?

Yeah, you would expect an immediate replacement lined up. It would be nice to see a permanent signing brought in to replace a loan signing and a player that will push Mings/Konsa for a starting role. That is the type of general improvement to the squad I am hoping to see. I really do not want to see us get a CB in that is just going to be cover with no real chance of claiming the shirt himself.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, A'Villan said:

Fair enough @HalfTimePost and @villa4europe I didn't really consider the financial side of it at all.

Assuming there weren't any suitors to pay the kind of money his prime years at Liverpool brought him, then perhaps he opts for a project that could potentially revive his best football for him as opposed to just chasing the closest contract to his Barca one.

Just a thought. Didn't mean to derail the thread with something that won't happen.

Not derailing it at all cos I think we will spend the month linked to him because of him being ex Liverpool, can see the likes of West ham and probably Newcastle being linked too

• Thanks 1