January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

Maybe its all about blend.

I see so many players, at West Ham ( for Example ) and think, would we have signed him or him.....No.

so how are they better than us as a team?.....whan they are not much better individually.

Blend...and better in crucial positions.

round pegs in round holes and square pegs in square holes.

I think some new recruits we don't find appealing.....might just prove to be a better blend......and they might not be expensive, either.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Current midfield 6 cost us £42 mill. I think its about time that we went in for a serious midfielder. 

Whilst Money plays a huge part....more importantly, it's can they do the job?

we have spent so much money on samey players.

We have 4 wingers....with just one fit...and still crossing the ball is an issue, not to mention beating a man.

Also our wingers have months out, not a couple of matches....we need the USA defence budget to cover all this.

This is not a slight on SG....just a reminder of how much work, we have to do.

18 minutes ago, TRO said:

Whilst Money plays a huge part....more importantly, it's can they do the job?

we have spent so much money on samey players.

We have 4 wingers....with just one fit...and still crossing the ball is an issue, not to mention beating a man.

Also our wingers have months out, not a couple of matches....we need the USA defence budget to cover all this.

This is not a slight on SG....just a reminder of how much work, we have to do.

Bailey is the only winger currently out?

Trez, Anwar and Bert were all named in the last squad. 

36 minutes ago, TRO said:

Maybe its all about blend.

I see so many players, at West Ham ( for Example ) and think, would we have signed him.....No.

so how are they better than us as a team?.....whan they are not much better individually.

Blend...and better in crucial positions.

round pegs in round holes and square pegs in square holes.

I think some new recruits we don't find appealing.....might just prove to be a better blend......and they might not be expensive, either.

Blend is very important from both skill and mentality point of view. Remember the old saying ‘the whole is greater than the sum of the individual parts’? Football is a team game where ‘team’ is far more than just the 11 players starting the game.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Bailey is the only winger currently out?

Trez, Anwar and Bert were all named in the last squad. 

2 not match fit, just coming back.

Bertie needs games as does trez.

My point is so many and so many struggle with long term injuries.

27 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Botman in talks with newcastle apparently 

I’ve not heard of him, I googled and he plays for Lille but I don’t really watch French football, is he really good? I assume he played a big part in them winning the league?

Edited by alreadyexists

If Trez is ever the answer then either we’re not asking the right question or we’ve been relegated (probably twice). 

He’s awful. He’s popped up with a couple of important goals, no doubt, but is all round play is not PL standard and barely Championship standard at times.

I like the bloke but we really need to be moving the likes of Trezeguet and El Ghazi on. We can’t just stockpile players and we’re so bloated in those forward positions at present. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I’ve not heard of him, I googled and he plays for Lille but I don’t really watch French football, is he really good? I assume he played a big part in them winning the league?

I don't know an awful lot, but he is young and seemed integral to their league win last year. Highly rated

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

If Trez is ever the answer then either we’re not asking the right question or we’ve been relegated (probably twice). 

He’s awful. He’s popped up with a couple of important goals, no doubt, but is all round play is not PL standard and barely Championship standard at times.

I like the bloke but we really need to be moving the likes of Trezeguet and El Ghazi on. We can’t just stockpile players and we’re so bloated in those forward positions at present. 

He has his weaknesses but I think this is a tad harsh. He has a great engine, is an effective presser and scored key goals. I would like to see him in the Gerrard team to see what he can do.

It could be well wide of the mark but I do wonder if he could convert to an effective right back similar to what Cash did and of course Elmo.

11 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

He has his weaknesses but I think this is a tad harsh. He has a great engine, is an effective presser and scored key goals. I would like to see him in the Gerrard team to see what he can do.

It could be well wide of the mark but I do wonder if he could convert to an effective right back similar to what Cash did and of course Elmo.

We have come a long way in the last few seasons and generally we have relied on good moments in a game to see us through.

We have to become more consistent, improve our possession and ball retention, become harder to beat while being a goal threat at the other end....its coming, but that needs to continue.

having the odd good moment in a game, will not bring European football and that has to be our aim, to get better quality players in....its that momentum we crave.

I think we as a fan base has been brought up lately ( last 10-20 years) on good moments and seen it as ok....but its not enough, we need to be more consistent, in many aspects of our game.....That requires the players to deliver it and the coaches to direct it.

I think in time, we will.

• Like 1

Based on nothing at all, I wonder if Gerrard will be interested in taking Curtis Jones either on loan or permanent transfer?

Highly rated youngster but just can’t get enough games with Liverpool. I presume Gerrard will know him quite well. 

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

We need players who can generally dominate their opponent....that has to be an important ingredient.

I've seen Botman dominate a fair few. Oh wait not Botman, Buttman, different thing entirely although they both are good in the tackle.

Edited by VillanousOne

45 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Based on nothing at all, I wonder if Gerrard will be interested in taking Curtis Jones either on loan or permanent transfer?

Highly rated youngster but just can’t get enough games with Liverpool. I presume Gerrard will know him quite well. 

Highly rated by Liverpool. Don't think he's going anywhere. Maybe more regular starter next season

14 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Highly rated by Liverpool. Don't think he's going anywhere. Maybe more regular starter next season

With Milner getting into his 50s and Henderson and Fabinho entering the twilight of their careers, Jones is of more use to Liverpool then to sell him. 

A 6 month loan though may be an option

• Like 1

Lots of talk about Hickey still. We are also interested in Patterson at Rangers. I think both would be excellent signings for us. They are both capable of being top full backs. Add in a CDM, get some of our injured players back and the second half of the season could be really enjoyable. 

• Like 2