January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

Even SG alluded to the fact that we were light at both sides for full backs. Both of the fullbacks have been good under SG but both need competition. Cash is a good player who has been in good form recently but taking form away, I would still rank Martinez, Mings, Konsa, Luiz, SJM, Watkins, Buendia, Bailey ahead of him in terms of quality. Maybe even JJ too.

9 minutes ago, sne said:

1 goal and 0 assist for a full back in a system that relies on full backs getting forward is a big reason why we've been so disappointing up until recently. Same with Targett who has 1+1.

Still think Cash has been good but both of em needs to work on their crossing and offensive contribution.  

Agreed. Cash has been good in defence but some of his crossing has been abysmal.

I don't think we should be buying a new RB when we have Cash, Axel, Konsa (if desperate), Young. Plus Guilbert and Kesler on loan.

We should assess Guilbert & Kesler either in Jan or the Summer and we have enough cover until then. But Cash needs to up his offensive output for sure or I'd imagine Kesler will be right on his tail for that RWB slot in a year or two

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Agreed. Cash has been good in defence but some of his crossing has been abysmal.

I don't think we should be buying a new RB when we have Cash, Axel, Konsa (if desperate), Young. Plus Guilbert and Kesler on loan.

We should assess Guilbert & Kesler either in Jan or the Summer and we have enough cover until then. But Cash needs to up his offensive output for sure or I'd imagine Kesler will be right on his tail for that RWB slot in a year or two

I don't know how the Guilbert deal with Strasbourg is structured and if we can recall him, or if he'd be interested in it. But he's the highest rated RB in Ligue 1 on both Whoscored and Sofascore and top-5 defensive players on both sites (at least when I looked a few weeks back) so if Gerrard is interested I think bringing him back in Jan is a very sensible idea. If that doesn't work out then we'll know we might need a new RB in the summer. Kesler imo should remain out on loan to get as much football as possible if he is at a club where he plays.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sne said:

I don't know how the Guilbert deal with Strasbourg is structured and if we can recall him, or if he'd be interested in it. But he's the highest rated RB in Ligue 1 on both Whoscored and Sofascore and top-5 defensive players on both sites (at least when I looked a few weeks back) so if Gerrard is interested I think bringing him back in Jan is a very sensible idea. If that doesn't work out then we'll know we might need a new RB in the summer. Kesler imo should remain out on loan to get as much football as possible if he is at a club where he plays.

Yeah I've always thought there was a good player there, get him back, get another full back, a top top class 6 and leave the rest till the summer. We'll have Troare and Bailey coming back in so loads of options for the 2 10 roles to change things up without having to change the shape. 

Then in the summer Tuanzebe will go back so we could get a top young CB in and see where else we can improve in a less bonkers market than a january window.

• Like 1

I think Guilbert will see it as a fresh start at Villa, he dosen't seem the sort to be petty about it, especially towards the club. Clearly something wasn't right between him and Smith, maybe it was the same with Engels and Smith aswell regarding some sort of problem, but Guilbert does seem like a good fit in a gerrard team, without a doubt.

We should focus on getting a LB and a DM. Personally I would be offering Hause a deal aswell, it dosen't have to be a huge deal or a long one, but he has always done well when standing in for the defenders, is an aerial beast and if he's happy to play second fiddle then why not. He does get the odd goal aswell and is a decent squad option. Plenty of other players which can be moved on before him imo

26 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

That sounds ideal for both parties

I agree, we may be looking for better quality in a year's time but extending his contract gives us much needed backup without forcing us into the market. We can then hopefully invest in a 6 and a LB before replacing Hause

I think the Guilbert ship has sailed tbh. Think the issue was that he didn't fit in with the squad or settle into the culture of the club/country and just never really felt happy or that it was home. Don't think anything has really changed in that respect.

• Like 2

On 18/12/2021 at 22:44, gwi1890 said:

We need to switch from that backup mentality,  all subs should be competing for a shirt, or at least a young potential first team player in the future like Carney 

I agree.....They should be, first choice mentality and let them fight for the shirt.

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

I think the Guilbert ship has sailed tbh. Think the issue was that he didn't fit in with the squad or settle into the culture of the club/country and just never really felt happy or that it was home. Don't think anything has really changed in that respect.

I like Guilbert, but we need to ask ourselves "Is he a top 6-7 team quality RB?" If we truly want to push to Europe, we need a squad capable of getting us there.  I also like Cash, but we should be trying to sign someone better than him, not just good enough for the bench...

Edited by KMitch
RB/LB, whatever... Fullback... You get the point...

when I look around at some of the Full Backs in the Prem.....I ask myself, is he good enough for a progressing club....I don't think so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I agree.....They should be, first choice mentality and let them fight for the shirt.

Totally we shoudl be buying players who are better than what we have, then they can fight it out for themselves as to who gets the shirt

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I like Guilbert, but we need to ask ourselves "Is he a top 6-7 team quality RB?" If we truly want to push to Europe, we need a squad capable of getting us there.  I also like Cash, but we should be trying to sign someone better than him, not just good enough for the bench...

BEst full back stats in Ligue 1 apparently,  he's no mug

• Like 1

Perhaps now that another Frenchman in Sanson here, it might help him settle a bit more?

12 minutes ago, romavillan said:

BEst full back stats in Ligue 1 apparently,  he's no mug

He’s never been a bad player. He’s just never seemed happy here or in England. It’s a shame really as the lad is a decent full back. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Our right back is our best player. Why would we spend money there for? 

You need two players for a position for a start.

Cash is good as is Targett but they aren’t elite level full backs and neither has competition.

ideally we would purchase a youngster with the potential to be an elite level full back for where we find ourselves at the moment.

he also hasn’t been our best player this season, Martinez, Konsa, Luis, McGinn and Watkins have all been better.

8 minutes ago, paul514 said:

You need two players for a position for a start.

Cash is good as is Targett but they aren’t elite level full backs and neither has competition.

ideally we would purchase a youngster with the potential to be an elite level full back for where we find ourselves at the moment.

he also hasn’t been our best player this season, Martinez, Konsa, Luis, McGinn and Watkins have all been better.

Only McGinn has been better I’d argue. Watkins, lol. 

Agreed we need elite level fullbacks, but right back is not a position of concern for us at the moment because Cash has been excellent and I’d argue we have a very good back up and a good young player coming through.