Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Newcastle

limpid

Match Polls  

248 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/08/21 at 18:00

1 minute ago, Pissflaps said:

Can't write him off after 2 games that's certain, but you can normally see something. Given the amount of hype around him, he doesn't beat a man, his movement doesn't appear special, he looks weak and slow to react. Passing is decent enough.

Meh so far. Maybe we need the other players back first? Unless Norwich just had really low standards for players to be called amazing 😂

Would never write a player off after two games but as you say average so far

Drove the last bit behind Traore, odd car he's got.

Had to find a new car park as usual one was full at 2pm. Good to see some familiar faces in the Holte. Weird atmosphere but not too much grumbling. Cracking goal from Ings, he's a 25 goaller for me. Need to watch MOTD for some of those decisions. 

Still a total pain in the arse getting home again but I did enjoy it

1 hour ago, Lochheads twin said:

Great to be back at Villa Park with a full house.

An important win for us after last weeks performance. The 2 games show what fine margins there are at this level. Today we got a couple of breaks and just about deserved the win.

Ings showed exactly why he will be an important signing for us. 2 games, 2 goals. A goal out of nothing today. He did not get much supply but the menace is always there.

The refereeing was interesting today. From what I have seen of our 2 matches, the referees have adopted the Euros approach to the game, which is welcome. No more a slight touch and an immediate free kick. A shame Newcastle seemed to be the early beneficiaries of most of the decisions. We will need to adapt quickly and hopefully all referees are consistent. No special rules for Bruno Fernandes!😀

Man of the match. Hard to say anyone was head and shoulders above the rest. Ramsey recovered from some early mistakes, was solid and kept going the full 90. Young was ok but the old Ashley would have made more of a couple of opportunities he had. Mings was solid and seems to relish playing with the armband. My vote went to SJM who seemed to play further forward and was more like his oldself.

The team more or less picked to itself today, so hard to be too critical. I look forward to seeing Ollie, Bailey and Traore as forward options.

Not vintage but 3 points nevertheless. 3 more next week and we will have made a solid start considering the disrupted per-season.

UTV.

Summed that up really well.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

My thoughts ...

overall an OKish match ... surprisingly niggly

Martinez  ....  first of many clean sheets, I hope. Vould have done without the calamity on the edge of the eighteen yard box though.
Cash ... a good game overall
Konsa ... again a good game overall. an Occasional slip, but nothing serious. I find my eye is not drawn to him.
Mings ... Excellent ... in ddefence and supplementing the attack
Young ... A bit in your face for my taste, but can't doubt the passion ... generally happy
McGinn ...  I thought he had an exceptional  game. Involved in the midfield action ... My MOTM, but I understand the votes for Ramsey, Mings ... etc
Luiz ...  A solid game, not spectacular
Ramsey ... I thought he was really good today.
Beundia ... seemed a little off the pace, but does appear to be improving.
Ings ... Superb ... I liked the way he pressed the defence (as did the forward line)
EL Ghazi ... I would like to have my  player from last December back.
Bidace ... I liked the little bit of him I saw.
Taunzebe ... not enough.
Wesley ... I might have voted for him but the powers that be did not think it was worth adding him to the list. ;) 

Smith? No one complained about the substitutions being late?

I was at the game and I agree with every bit of this. McGinn had his best game for us in a long time, he was brilliant as was JJ. I think Buendia will be good for us but needs to be quicker and to develop a better understanding with his teammates, this will come. 

Holte End was v quiet in the first half, think it was the tension. 

I quite enjoyed the niggliness of the match, lots of little battles, mostly won by us. Added to the occasion.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

How many times have we thought that about new players only for them to suddenly look the bees knees ? Some players just take time to adapt to new surroundings. 

Tommy Craig springs to mind

4 minutes ago, chappy said:

Amazing. “Nobody in the ground knew it was a handball”?! Seemed pretty obvious from the lower Holte Steve!

And all the commentators on the game agreed it was stone-wall

I still fecking hate Bruce and his excuses and whinging. 

12 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

Bissouma looks superb for Brighton tonight, surely they can't hold on to him for long!!

He looks brilliant doesn't he !! The big boys will be in for him soon.

7 minutes ago, chappy said:

Great to be back at VP.

Voted Dougie MOTM but could’ve been McGinn. Dean got it right in midfield today, decent performance by Ramsey too albeit not looking like applying that finishing touch just yet.

Buendia looked better than last week but is still a little short of fitness. Ings got his goal which by the sounds of things was class but I missed as I’d gone for a pint. Still not seen it! I know they don’t want people to loiter in the concourses so haven’t got the game on, but they could’ve showed highlights at half time instead of incessant Foo Fighters adverts.

So happy to see Anwar bury the penalty (even though I have Ings in FPL!). Unfortunately the El Ghazi boo boys in front of me haven’t relocated, there’s something I haven’t missed in the last 18 months. If you’re on here lads, it’s **** boring calling him out all the time, not to mention embarrassing having a vendetta against one of our players. You’re not funny with your constant jibes against him either.

Only gripes with being back we’re these mindless idiots going after Anwar from the 11th minute (ffs seriously after 18 months away?!) and not having any signal on O2 throughout the game as usual (thought they were fixing that?!)

Defence was solid. Cash and Young could maybe have offered a little more going forward but we got a clean sheet and won so can’t criticise them too much! Emi had a Pepe Reina moment which thankfully VAR saved him from!

No Watkins, Bailey or Traore. Great to get a solid win without them. Bring on Brentford. 

Shout out to Newcastle fans on the train north, not sure where they hid the full size speaker during the game but a good atmosphere in the carriage heading back! “Saturday night and the Mags are ****ing sh*te” to the Whigfield time was a highlight. We know how they feel re. Bruce too.

UTV

How did you make Luiz MOTM? 

22 minutes ago, chappy said:

Only gripes with being back we’re these mindless idiots going after Anwar from the 11th minute (ffs seriously after 18 months away?!) and not having any signal on O2 throughout the game as usual (thought they were fixing that?!)

Shameful behaviour.  You're so right to call them out. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, chappy said:

So happy to see Anwar bury the penalty (even though I have Ings in FPL!). Unfortunately the El Ghazi boo boys in front of me haven’t relocated, there’s something I haven’t missed in the last 18 months. If you’re on here lads, it’s **** boring calling him out all the time, not to mention embarrassing having a vendetta against one of our players. You’re not funny with your constant jibes against him either.

Only gripes with being back we’re these mindless idiots going after Anwar from the 11th minute (ffs seriously after 18 months away?!) 

So annoying. Especially after Mings' comments on the subject last year, wouldve thought people had learned 

• Like 3

Â