Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Newcastle

limpid

Match Polls  

248 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/08/21 at 18:00

Can't stop watching the Ings goal, help

Ramsey really looks like he's got something, hope JPB and Carney show similar progress in some games this season

genuinely can't tell if that image of D Murphy in the tweet is doctored or not, he looks like he's just been raised from the dead

10 minutes ago, Annoyman said:

Can't stop watching the Ings goal, help

Ramsey really looks like he's got something, hope JPB and Carney show similar progress in some games this season

genuinely can't tell if that image of D Murphy in the tweet is doctored or not, he looks like he's just been raised from the dead

He always does when he talks about us.

15 hours ago, MarkLillis said:

We won today and there were a lot of good performances from our players out there.

Newcastle we’re poor second half which was similar to their game against West Ham last week.

I like a lot of our players they clearly all have ability, though I think we are missing a midfielder who can get on the ball and “boss” the midfield.

A player like this would allow us to push into the top half for sure.

Easier said than done I know…but I can’t help feeling that we haven’t made our best signing yet.

Its just perplexing that so many folk can see this.....and yet still we seemingly refrain from dealing with it.

We won and it was great, but Mings and Konsa, was still got at, too easily.

Edited by TRO

17 hours ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

Team woke up today. Decent 3 halves of football so far this year from us.

Excited about the youth - maybe we don’t need more in midfield?!?

we don't need more bodies....we need more speciality....i.e defending nous.

we have plenty of midfielders, but they are much the same in style.

Just now, Talldarkandransome said:

On a slightly different note, I wish they would fix the tannoy. Couldn't even hear it at back of the Holte. Surely it just needs a few speakers in the right place

perhaps they can attend to the digital clock in the corner of the trinity and witton at the same time.....I miss that facility.

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

perhaps they can attend to the digital clock in the corner of the trinity and witton at the same time.....I miss that facility.

Hadn't even noticed that wasn't there, but I couldn't see either screen from my spot anyway so didn't really know what was going on half the time. The VAR stuff was a complete mystery to me, didnt know what was going on

5 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Hadn't even noticed that wasn't there, but I couldn't see either screen from my spot anyway so didn't really know what was going on half the time. The VAR stuff was a complete mystery to me, didnt know what was going on

The time was on the main screen corner of the Holte....but I kept looking up at the witton, It might be just temporary....perhaps the clock has pulled a hamstring, everyone else has.

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

He is and always has been a complete and utter plank. How he gets air time I'll never know

he just looks like an awkward, grumpy neighbour.

Just watch the game back on Villa TV.

Ramsey/Mings/Ings/McGinn the obvious ones stood out watching live.  I never thought Ramsey was going to make it but the game today has completely changed my mind.  Happy to be proven wrong.

Watching back, I was impressed by Luiz and Young as well.  Luiz kept the ball moving nicely and made some key interceptions and tackles.  We missed him last week.  

Anwar, love him at the spot but he squandered 4 or 5 opportunities to break and set-up a big chance.  Bailey starting in that position gets us another 2 or 3 clear cut chances and we win 3 or 4 nil.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

He is and always has been a complete and utter plank. How he gets air time I'll never know

There's an article on the Independant online absolutely slating MOTD and it's poor presenters.

A few thoughts after watching the match in full:

Buendia: I know that some around here have not been impressed with him yet, but I thought he was excellent in the first half. No, he hasn’t delivered the killer ball for a goal yet. No, he’s not as much fun to watch as Grealish. But every time he got the ball, he made an intelligent pass. And except for one poor free kick late in the first half, every pass was on target. Not to mention that he presses well and he tracks back. If Grealish did as much on defense as Buendia, Southgate probably would have started him this summer. He’s not as good as Grealish on attack but I think we are going to be happy that we signed him. I'm not expecting another Grealish, just a good player.

I also found it interesting how much license Deano seems to be giving him to roam. Yes, generally speaking, he was on the right this week, but he often drifted center and a few times even popped up all the way on the left.

Cash: Much better in defense this week. I thought he was good going forward against Watford and good again in that regard this week.

Martinez: I didn’t see anyone else mention it so I will: Wilson did not just miss in the 5th minute. Emi helped make him miss. Watch how big he makes himself and how that affects how much goal Wilson had to shoot at. It was subtle, but it was a good piece of goalkeeping.

Ramsey: Obviously another good performance. I did find it interesting how, after being so effective from deep last week, Deano seemed to push him forward this week (see below). I thought his best passes still came from deep again this week as we were coming out of defense (not to say that he was bad when he was forward). I saw someone here saying that he’s a potential #10 but given the distribution he's shown the last two matches, I'd rather see him develop as an Italian-style regista, i.e. the deep lying playmaker.

Formation: Deano showed a lot more flexibility than he usually did last year. Some people have called what we played a 4-3-3 but I would say the first half was more a 4-1-2-3, with Ramsey and McGinn further forward and Luiz staying deep. I mentioned above that Buendia had license to roam but he wasn’t the only one. I saw Ghaza and Young pop up on the right, Cash on the left…we were not rigid at all in attack, which is good. In the second half, the defense looked more like a 4-4-2 (with Buendia tucking on our right) or even at times a 4-5-1 (with Ghaza tucking in on the left), with players taking turns coming forward to be a little less predictable. It was very interesting to watch.

• Like 2

Â