Mario Hermoso

MadridVilla

37 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I liked him at Espanyol.

How often has he played at LB at Atletico Madrid out of interest?

20 times in 169 games according to Transfermarkt. Might not be 100% accurate but probably ball park at least. Last time was in 2022.

• Thanks 1

We also trialled 3 at the back, went very badly, but maybe it's more in our playbook next year?

Or Pau sits out cups. He's been used sparingly, maybe his time needs to be managed longer term

2 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

We also trialled 3 at the back, went very badly, but maybe it's more in our playbook next year?

Or Pau sits out cups. He's been used sparingly, maybe his time needs to be managed longer term

Seems to be a trend recently that top teams play 4 at the back, but 3 of them are CBs. Ie Gvardiol for city, White for Arsenal. 

I imagine Hermoso would fit that bill perfectly.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sne said:

20 times in 169 games according to Transfermarkt. Might not be 100% accurate but probably ball park at least. Last time was in 2022.

O.k so he'll just be cover option for that position then. I would still expect a new LB this summer then.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

Seems to be a trend recently that top teams play 4 at the back, but 3 of them are CBs. Ie Gvardiol for city, White for Arsenal. 

Burn for Newcastle.

I could see Mings doing it for us also (if he is the same player after his injury).

Edited by MaVilla

49 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Doesn’t strike me as the kind of player happy to come and sit on our bench.

LCB position is Torres’ so where will he play?

Saying that, Torres can’t seem to stay fit for more than 5 minutes so we’ll need a rotation option for that role.

What about Mings?

And what does it mean for Buendia? Will he finally be sold?

More questions than answers.

Pau will play LB some games. Hermoso can play LCB or Central. We can play 3 CBs and an attacking FB

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

His duel winning stats are pretty damn good so I've heard.

Fair enough, but how are his football stats looking? :D

Ten Paces and Turn - TV Tropes

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Mings to Ipswich?

I don’t want to lose Mings but that’s a massive shout actually… far more likely he stays at Villa but funny that every professional team he’s played for is now going to be in the PL.

Edited by Adam2003
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Mings to Ipswich?

I think it could be a possibility. I was thinking how devastated he'll be missing out on a campaign like this though :(

• Like 1

Hermoso would be Lenglet replacementt, Mings will get a lot of game time if his injury hasn't affected him too much, as we will play a lot of games with Pau and Mings in central defence, and Konsa as a right-back

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Burn for Newcastle.

I could see Mings doing it for us also (if he is the same player after his injury).

33 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

We already do this with Konsa, Pau and Carlos regularly. It's been Emerys thing for a while (Foyth at Villareal).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

We already do this with Konsa, Pau and Carlos regularly. It's been Emerys thing for a while (Foyth at Villareal).

Yes, this gives up an option to do it on the other side aswell if needed. RB Konsa Pau Hermoso

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Can’t see Mings getting much of a look in next season if this one happens

He will play plenty as the central CB of back three. So Pau or Hermoso playing LB with Mings and Konsa. Then an attacking RB.

Think of how we play with Konsa at RB this season. Next season we can do that but switch sides depending on what tactical flexibility Emery wants 

6 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

Yes, this gives up an option to do it on the other side aswell if needed. RB Konsa Pau Hermoso

Yeah agreed

55 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Yeah I did wonder this. KKH hasn't been given a lot of time so I doubt it's because he rates him so highly. But maybe our RB targets for the summer are more attacking (not him, but a la Frimpong) and we switch the attacking side.

Allows us to be more tactically savvy depending on who we're playing.

Konsa/New Attacking RB

Hermoso/Moreno.

Same tactic but now more suited to different teams if they have a particularly strong RW and we need to sure up our LB position

The only thing Pau has in common with Mings is the preferred foot and they are defenders. Mings is a superb defender, physical and fast. Pau is a superb deep play maker and is excellent at slow build up from the back and calm control.

Pau Mings Konsa Frimpong this is the type of dream back 4

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Can’t see Mings getting much of a look in next season if this one happens

Well I would be worried about our height at the back without Mings.  Hermoso for all his attributes is only 6ft and not known as dominant aerially I believe.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Czarnikjak said:

Exactly. He can play as the central of a 3 or a left side of a 3. He's also right CB of a back 3 a few times for Atletico. 

I can see plenty of combinations with 5 CBs

Hermoso, Pau, Mings, Konsa, Carlos. 

Â