Las Vegas Villains

HalfTimePost

12 hours ago, thabucks said:

Considering Villa Las Vegas is gunna potentially cost Edens $500mill just to start up, puts what what he paid with Sawaris for Villa in pale comparison. These two are ridiculously mega wealthy and deadly serious about challenging the elite no question… 

I wouldn't count on Vegas Villans ever happening. 

1 hour ago, PerryBarrPet said:

What makes you say this? Are you in the USA hence closer to the action?

San Diego is potentially in a better position because there's a stadium a team could move right into. 

SD and LV neck and neck for the 30th franchise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, maqroll said:

San Diego is potentially in a better position because there's a stadium a team could move right into. 

SD and LV neck and neck for the 30th franchise.

And from my understanding Vegas and Nevada are hesitant on spending more public money to finance the construction of a new soccer-specific stadium after putting so much into the Raiders stadium.

19 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

And from my understanding Vegas and Nevada are hesitant on spending more public money to finance the construction of a new soccer-specific stadium after putting so much into the Raiders stadium.

Again going OT here... I think it's mad they haven't tried to share the raiders stadium, not sure on the relationship between the falcons and the soccer team in atlanta but that's been a huge success and they should have tried to replicate it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

I wouldn't count on Vegas Villans ever happening. 

Lebron James and the FSG are going to set up a NBA team there, that's pretty much confirmed. 

I would absolutely expect a MLS team to arrive in Vegas in the near future. Whether it's Vegas Villans or not, I'm unsure, but Vegas will have a MLS team "soon".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Good. The public should never fund stadia.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Again going OT here... I think it's mad they haven't tried to share the raiders stadium, not sure on the relationship between the falcons and the soccer team in atlanta but that's been a huge success and they should have tried to replicate it

Arthur Blank, the owner of the Falcons, is also the owner of the MLS team there.

Edited by Aston_Villan4
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Just out of interest why? If museums are eligible then why not football stadiums - both serve the same purposes in essence. 

Not quite ... Ostensibly museums are educational and cultural, whereas stadia are entertainment. 
If the municipality builds and owns the stadium and rents it out at a decent rate of return (which covers the risk and initial cost of money too) then I see no problem. The municipality ideally would not subsidize a local sports business owner unless there was a profit for the taxpayers. Getting the balance might be interesting.

Edited by fruitvilla
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

Just out of interest why? If museums are eligible then why not football stadiums - both serve the same purposes in essence. 

I'm not a huge fan of public funding for museums either, but you can justify it more than sports stadia. Sports team owners already come into the equation well heeled, they can bank on sponsorship, TV deals, concessions, merchandise, as well as gate receipts etc. Museums need other sources, and wealthy benefactors don't always cut it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

Good. The public should never fund stadia.

I never realised this was a " thing ". Wtf?

So public money funds stadium builds in the USA?

Then again, do they use it as " This development will create jobs and income for the city " etc?

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Then again, do they use it as " This development will create jobs and income for the city " etc?

Big in the NFL. Clubs (or franchises) will try and blackmail the city to fund a stadium or they will move the team somewhere else. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

And Australia hence the gigantic cricket stadiums. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

Not quite ... Ostensibly museums are educational and cultural, whereas stadia are entertainment. 
If the municipality builds and owns the stadium and rents it out at a decent rate of return (which covers the risk and initial cost of money too) then I see no problem. The municipality ideally would not subsidize a local sports business owner unless there was a profit for the taxpayers. Getting the balance might be interesting.

football is cultural 

15 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

In lots of places to be fair, the US, Australia, Italy, Canada, Brazil and a fair few places in Europe - what's odd about the US is that they've recently had a couple of privately owned stadiums built, but they aren't owned by the teams and owners, they're just owned by rich folks who think they can make money off them - sort of like if Amazon decided to build Wembley just outside Stoke and then invited Man Utd to play in it for ten years.

The traditional UK model where a team is formed, the team finds a home, the team develops the home and ends up with a stadium in that place is for me beautiful; it's why clubs are communities, it creates history, it makes for interesting stadiums with stories and quirks and it means that teams ARE the places where they play - it's a shame it's not necessarily recreated all over the world.

• Like 2

Hope it happens in Vegas, its good fun out there and would be good for the place as all the boxing seems to be going to the middle east now and would be a great experience for some of our younger players/new acquisitions if the same model as Watford/Udinese is followed, especially as the standard and quality of the MLS continues to improve. When I was out there in November 2021 I am sure i saw WE getting into a limo outside The Venetian hotel, i am going there again for the F1 later this year and wonder if he will be in attendance, if so i am going to try and find out more about their plans regarding Vegas Villans

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

In lots of places to be fair, the US, Australia, Italy, Canada, Brazil and a fair few places in Europe - what's odd about the US is that they've recently had a couple of privately owned stadiums built, but they aren't owned by the teams and owners, they're just owned by rich folks who think they can make money off them - sort of like if Amazon decided to build Wembley just outside Stoke and then invited Man Utd to play in it for ten years.

The traditional UK model where a team is formed, the team finds a home, the team develops the home and ends up with a stadium in that place is for me beautiful; it's why clubs are communities, it creates history, it makes for interesting stadiums with stories and quirks and it means that teams ARE the places where they play - it's a shame it's not necessarily recreated all over the world.

The US is an outlier though when it comes to history and sporting culture, in that it has very little of either.

It’s an entirely manufactured country so it makes sense the sport would follow suit.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
Â