Cheick Doucouré

Dante_Lockhart

Now Pouille has spoken about interest in his players, Doucoure among them.

"What matters is what we say to each other with the players and their entourage," Pouille is quoted as telling French media outlet France Bleu.

"They know very well what they are told.

"If there are offers which respect the interests of everyone, and in particular of Racing, we will ask ourselves.

"Now, we need to have a replacement solution, possibly."

Club chief responds to Aston Villa transfer interest in Cheick Doucoure (todayuknews.com)

With Vestegaard nearing a Leicester exit it would seem likely JWP is fully off the menu which would add credence to this transfer. The above doesn't tell too much but it's at the minimum an implicit acknowledgement of a bid. I'm getting a similar vibe to Craig Butler's comments about 'making sure everyone is happy' before we closed the Bailey deal...

Edited by blandy
link added

1 hour ago, RichiBoi11 said:

Also after a quick scan of his likes, he likes EVERY comment anyone puts on any of his posts, so there's absolutely no relevance to him liking posts about him joining Villa. You could comment that he's a terrible footballer that would never be good enough and he'd probably like it. Nothing to see on that.

That's not to say we aren't in for him, but his social media activity is irrelevant to that.

I don't think there has been a situation where players have suddenly started liking villa tweets then signed shortly after. 

• Like 1

Just now, Made In Aston said:

I don't think there has been a situation where players have suddenly started liking villa tweets then signed shortly after. 

Exactly. It's just not something most professional players would do.

Bit from Ashley Preece's Q&A this morning in the Birmingham Mail:

"I have been told by journalists in France that Villa's interest in Doucoure is genuine. I'm yet to be briefed on a bid or whether Villa have offered the midfielder terms. Still at an early stage, that one. If I get more I'll get it up online."

5 minutes ago, Wes said:

"I have been told by journalists in France that Villa's interest in Doucoure is genuine. I'm yet to be briefed on a bid or whether Villa have offered the midfielder terms. Still at an early stage, that one. If I get more I'll get it up online."

Preece knows SFA!

8 minutes ago, Wes said:

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886anscznvolxarcysqfs

Getting tips from Ashley Young I see. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, PieFacE said:

I feel sorry for Preece is some ways. It's probably very difficult to get information out of the club these days, yet he has to continuously pretend he has contacts. 

Seems like a decent guy but I agree, in terms of contacts he has very little and it's mostly guess work.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I feel sorry for Preece is some ways. It's probably very difficult to get information out of the club these days, yet he has to continuously pretend he has contacts. 

He specifically said his information was coming from the France side. So that could be genuine?

Neil on FTLOPM has done a great pod on this guy, the YouTube version premiers at  0900 this morning. 

Short version: Doucoure is as good as Bissouma and we should definitely sign him. 

1. Do we need high quality DM option? In my opinion yes

2. Is 21 year old with one year of experience in Ligue 1 gonna transform our midfield? I am not convinced.

3. Are we in position to bring somebody in?

We already have glut of midfielders in the squad. Dougie, Nakamba, mcginn, Sanson, JJ, chuck,Hourihane that's 7 ( plus Buendia can also play in midfield 3).

All those players competing for 2-3 positions (depending on formation). This is too many and not healthy if you want to keep harmony in the squad.

We would need to ship 2-3 midfielders out before bringing somebody in.

Edited by Czarnikjak

1 hour ago, Czarnikjak said:

1. Do we need high quality DM option? In my opinion yes

2. Is 21 year old with one year of experience in Ligue 1 gonna transform our midfield? I am not convinced.

3. Are we in position to bring somebody in?

We already have glut of midfielders in the squad. Dougie, Nakamba, mcginn, Sanson, JJ, chuck,Hourihane that's 7 ( plus Buendia can also play in midfield 3).

All those players competing for 2-3 positions (depending on formation). This is too many and not healthy if you want to keep harmony in the squad.

We would need to ship 2-3 midfielders out before bringing somebody in.

Two of those aren't good enough and another is 17 and not *really* a midfielder, despite what some may say. In any case, he should not be relied upon until he forces the managers hand.

You've got the first 4 of those, in reality, who we can reasonably conceive as being good enough for our next push. Only one of them is a defensive midfielder, and he is the least convincing of the lot. Oh and really we should be looking to play 3 of them at any one time. So pretty quickly, your 7 is whittled away.  

Whether this 21 year old with a years experience in Ligue 1 is the right player or not I will leave to the scouts. Like you, I haven't watched him play often enough to make a judgement. 

15 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Two of those aren't good enough and another is 17 and not *really* a midfielder, despite what some may say. In any case, he should not be relied upon until he forces the managers hand.

You've got the first 4 of those, in reality, who we can reasonably conceive as being good enough for our next push. Only one of them is a defensive midfielder, and he is the least convincing of the lot. Oh and really we should be looking to play 3 of them at any one time. So pretty quickly, your 7 is whittled away.  

I'm not claiming that these 7 are good enough. 

Just simple fact that they ARE in the squad and you cannot just stockpile players unsettling the squad. 

Hourihane is already surplus to requirements and will need to be moved on even if nobody else comes in.

To bring in another body in, we need to ship out at least one more midfielder IMO.

4 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

I'm not claiming that these 7 are good enough. 

Just simple fact that they ARE in the squad and you cannot just stockpile players unsettling the squad. 

Hourihane is already surplus to requirements and will need to be moved on even if nobody else comes in.

To bring in another body in, we need to ship out at least one more midfielder IMO.

Absolutely. Hourihane (permanent) and Ramsey (loan) in my opinion. 

Edit - but that comes AFTER you ensure you have the numbers to crack on with. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

Â