Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

13 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I don't know why people need to come and mock Bailey in times like these. Amazing run of form for the team. 

Because when the players who are flying hit a dip which happens in football we need their team mates to help out to cover so we still have most of the team flying.  At the moment Bailey is struggling.  If Ollie suddenly has a dip, we currently can’t look at Bailey and trust that he can take that mantle.  Thankfully Ollie is flying.  That’s why people are commenting on Bailey.  Always room for improvement because Bailey has it in his locker but we haven’t seen it really at Villa and I’m a big advocate when Bailey arrived because of what he did at his prior club.

41 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I don't know why people need to come and mock Bailey in times like these. Amazing run of form for the team. 

I don't think anyone is mocking him, in fact, everyone has mentioned what a good character he has and how much of a team player he is. The fact is though that he just isn't performing to the standard of the rest of the team. Discussing Bailey and his poor form doesn't mean we are not all astounded and excited by the teams current form.

We'll all support Bailey whilst he's on that pitch playing for us but he is the most obvious player to upgrade come the summer

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Because when the players who are flying hit a dip which happens in football we need their team mates to help out to cover so we still have most of the team flying.  At the moment Bailey is struggling.  If Ollie suddenly has a dip, we currently can’t look at Bailey and trust that he can take that mantle.  Thankfully Ollie is flying.  That’s why people are commenting on Bailey.  Always room for improvement because Bailey has it in his locker but we haven’t seen it really at Villa and I’m a big advocate when Bailey arrived because of what he did at his prior club.

Difference is we should be encouraging about Bailey, he has the talent and he just needs to hit some form. Ollie, McGinn etc. had their dips and are back in sensational form. 

I hope Bailey can hit a late winner himself in the coming games. We need as many players in good form as we can get. We will need a squad competing for starting places and to absorb injuries if we're to compete for Europe consistently

39 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Difference is we should be encouraging about Bailey, he has the talent and he just needs to hit some form. Ollie, McGinn etc. had their dips and are back in sensational form. 

I hope Bailey can hit a late winner himself in the coming games. We need as many players in good form as we can get. We will need a squad competing for starting places and to absorb injuries if we're to compete for Europe consistently

I’m not so fussed about him scoring (obviously it’ll help his confidence) I just need him to be better for the team, more consistently during the game.

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’m not so fussed about him scoring (obviously it’ll help his confidence) I just need him to be better for the team, more consistently during the game.

I think the role he plays is one where he's out of the game a lot. I do feel he's best off RM but we need the right player up top alongside Watkins.

I'd keep Bailey next season as he can improve if he can hit some form and play his best position. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think the role he plays is one where he's out of the game a lot. I do feel he's best off RM but we need the right player up top alongside Watkins.

I'd keep Bailey next season as he can improve if he can hit some form and play his best position. 

Don’t even mind him being out of the game a lot, that’s the type of player he is but he needs to be effective when he’s in the game.  He has the ability to influence the game like Saka does but he’s not there at the moment.

Yeah I’d keep him because he has talent but also because we wouldn’t get a good fee for him at the moment anyway.  I’m not sure he should be a starter though if he continues as he is.

• Like 1

i think it's clear that emery will be targeting wide players in the summer. coutinho keeps getting linked with moves, bailey out of form, and whilst i'm delighted, will traore have a role in this side long term?

i can see bailey staying next season but as a squad player. no one is paying the kind of money we'd be looking for and he doesn't strike me as disruptive to the point we'd need to get him away from the dressing room

10 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i think it's clear that emery will be targeting wide players in the summer. coutinho keeps getting linked with moves, bailey out of form, and whilst i'm delighted, will traore have a role in this side long term?

i can see bailey staying next season but as a squad player. no one is paying the kind of money we'd be looking for and he doesn't strike me as disruptive to the point we'd need to get him away from the dressing room

Whilst I'm delighted for Bert, and was a great finish and winner, he is very inconsistent as well.  1 good game 4 bad kind of player.  I would keep him as an impact sub if he's happy to stay.  

Regards Bailey, I think we need to cut our losses with him, don't know if he needs more time with Emery or he's simply just not good enough.  I trust Emery to make the right decision.

Imagine instead of Bailey last night on the left, we had a player the calibre of Nico Williams, he would have had a field day. Emery will upgrade I think, so Bailey may leave or he might stay and fight for his place, but he shouldn't be a starter.

Edited by duke313

I want him to turn it around like I want every Villa player to come good. Emery persistence with him seems baffling especially with very late sub but we keep getting results so in Emery I trust

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Don’t even mind him being out of the game a lot, that’s the type of player he is but he needs to be effective when he’s in the game.  He has the ability to influence the game like Saka does but he’s not there at the moment.

Yeah I’d keep him because he has talent but also because we wouldn’t get a good fee for him at the moment anyway.  I’m not sure he should be a starter though if he continues as he is.

Just look at Watkins when he was out of form earlier this season. Now he's in form. I think Bailey can be great if he can hit some form 

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Just look at Watkins when he was out of form earlier this season. Now he's in form. I think Bailey can be great if he can hit some form 

Kind of feel Emery sees every player as a pet project. He's persisting with Bailey. He's like a teacher that wants every student to succeed. That's what makes Emery the best manager we've had in my lifetime as a Villa fan while getting results 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I agree but we have to start seeing it in the next 18 months.  I was delighted we brought him, he was unlucky with injuries and Gerrard being manager but unlike he others he’s not impressed under Emery.  I’m more than willing to give him time but he has no excuses now under Emery over the coming period.  He needs to step up because there will be only so long the “look at what happened to Watkins” line will fly for him but as I say he’s got time and without even thinking about summer recruiting he’s got Traore on his tail now.

23 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I agree but we have to start seeing it in the next 18 months.  I was delighted we brought him, he was unlucky with injuries and Gerrard being manager but unlike he others he’s not impressed under Emery.  I’m more than willing to give him time but he has no excuses now under Emery over the coming period.  He needs to step up because there will be only so long the “look at what happened to Watkins” line will fly for him but as I say he’s got time and without even thinking about summer recruiting he’s got Traore on his tail now.

I think that is probably why Emery is playing him so regularly, to make absolutely sure he's not good enough.  He has until the end of the season I reckon.  And if he doesn't improve, we'll sign a starter in his position, and he'll be demoted to back up or sold.

• Like 3

Thing is, all the things he now seems " shite " at, he has proven capable of in the past, so it's not a case of him being totally incapable.

It just isn't happening right now for whatever reason.

However I'm not sure we need to be in a big rush to sell him.

Picture a scenario where we are competing in the Europa Conference as well as pushing in the domestic cups, you could do much worse than having someone like him on the books IMO.

Because he is now a target, absolutely every mistake or decision he gets wrong is amplified.

Other players have poor games and make mistakes as well but it largely goes unnoticed as he is the " elephant in the room " in a sense.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

95% of comments " nice guy just not good enough"

"Stop mocking him!"

I'll be another one. Nice guy, feel bad for him somewhat but he's absolutely hopeless.

People were saying the same about half our squad six months ago. 

If we’ve learned anything recently it’s that players can surprise us when they spend some time working with a competent coach. 

Bailey has the raw materials to be a real talent. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Kind of feel Emery sees every player as a pet project. He's persisting with Bailey. He's like a teacher that wants every student to succeed. That's what makes Emery the best manager we've had in my lifetime as a Villa fan while getting results 

This is what you want. As fans we are far too eager to trash players or hypothetically flog them on without actually trying to get them up to the level they were at when we purchased them, or better.

• Watkins- couldn't hit a barn door
  •  McGinn - not good enough
  • Ramsey - not good enough
  • Mings - error prone
  • Konsa - not good enough
  • Traore - inconsistent, weak
  • Digne - crap
  • Luiz - Not strong enough
  • Chambers - too slow
  • Cash - poor distribution
  • Buendia - Weak, slow 
  • Bailey - crap

That's just a sample of some of the criticisms everybody is probably guilty of when pointing the finger at individuals at periods in time. Many of these criticisms have proved pretty incorrect long term, ultimately proving we are all a bunch of emotional Alf Garnett word and Emery knows better. Every player is serving a purpose in this team and the fact Unai is persisting with Leon shows me he sees more than most in the kid. I'm going to bow to his better judgement on this one and see how it plays out because I would not be surprised if Leon scores a couple of belters before the season is over. I hope he does, because there is no better feeling than a player on your team proving everybody wrong. 

• Thanks 1

I think Bailey plays more often than not due to him being the only player that we can play in that position due to Stevie G being an idiot and getting shot of all of our wingers.

I also get people’s thoughts about keeping him as a squad player as I’d like him to come good, he has the talent, but the kid is on £100k, that’s a lot for a squad player moving forward. 

For that kind of cash we could get a new starter and a back up for less if we’re shopping in Spain/Netherlands/Portugal

Â