Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Good enough for what though? If you mean to get us in to Europe then you could argue that the whole squad isn’t good enough with the exception of maybe Emi.   Bailey is a mid table player in a mid table table. Like most of the squad.. 

And with mid-table players we will never be better than mid-table. I hope, and believe, that our ambition is to be better than that, and as you say, there are a number of our players not good enough who will need to be replaced.

Bailey would appear to be not good enough to be playing in our `mid-table team'.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Also Bailey cost us £25m not the £30 people seem to keep quoting. 

We've signed a lot of players at that price. 

Mings, Ings, Watkins, Digne, Carlos, Wesley. Buendia was over 30m. 

Most of the links i can find say we signed him for 30

7 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

And with mid-table players we will never be better than mid-table. I hope, and believe, that our ambition is to be better than that, and as you say, there are a number of our players not good enough who will need to be replaced.

Bailey would appear to be not good enough to be playing in our `mid-table team'.

Yeh but Bailey was one of the those players that was meant to take us to the next level. Along with Ings, Buendia, Kamara, Coutinho, Digne etc. Yet everyone of them for me are midtable players which is where we’ll remain for the foreseeable. The gap between the top 6 and the rest is just too wide.  Watch Newcastle finish outside top 4.

He just seems devoid of confidence in his play to me, and needless to say that miss won't help. He had another moment towards the end of the game yesterday where he cut inside and actually skinned a couple of Wolves players in/at the edge of the box but rather than get a shot away which many would have automatically he took an extra touch and had it taken off him, then there was the miss, the shanked efforts vs Liverpool etc. You think of some of his better moments since signing and they've come from when he's doing things quickly, and often first time.

He's inconsistent at the best of times though. And evidently not great on his right foot because that's the side the ball has fallen on for some of these missed chances in the last few games.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

It wasn't a simple finish especially as they had players running back so far post was covered. Mistakes happen.

I consider it as just a miss, issue is there were two big ones against Liverpool. If he's to be a forward he can't be missing these chances especially as Watkins offers more off the ball

Yes I've seen far worse misses.  It was on his right foot and as we know most players these days are not two footed unlike players from the past 

Edited by PaulC

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

It’s not miss of the season either, I hate when the media does this kind of rubbish. 

Yeah usual media trash talk. His touch to get past the player took the ball away from goal and made the shot more difficult. He scuffed it wide and the defenders knew it. Had it been on target quite likely would have been cleared. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes I've seen far worse misses.  It was on his right foot and as we know most players these days are not two footed unlike players from the past 

That you've seen worse misses doesn't mean it wasn't a terrible, terrible miss. 

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yeh but Bailey was one of the those players that was meant to take us to the next level. Along with Ings, Buendia, Kamara, Coutinho, Digne etc. Yet everyone of them for me are midtable players which is where we’ll remain for the foreseeable. The gap between the top 6 and the rest is just too wide.  Watch Newcastle finish outside top 4.

Kamara is most definitely not a mid table player. 

Bailey grrr shoot properly bro. Leather that ball !

34 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Kamara is most definitely not a mid table player. 

Bailey grrr shoot properly bro. Leather that ball !

I think he is mate but he has the potential to improve as still young. He’s just a fans favourite at the moment so any mistakes he makes gets overlooked.. Give it a few more months you’ll see. ;) 

47 minutes ago, Indigo said:

He just seems devoid of confidence in his play to me, and needless to say that miss won't help. He had another moment towards the end of the game yesterday where he cut inside and actually skinned a couple of Wolves players in/at the edge of the box but rather than get a shot away which many would have automatically he took an extra touch and had it taken off him, then there was the miss, the shanked efforts vs Liverpool etc. You think of some of his better moments since signing and they've come from when he's doing things quickly, and often first time.

He's inconsistent at the best of times though. And evidently not great on his right foot because that's the side the ball has fallen on for some of these missed chances in the last few games.

I reckon he would have absolutely tore up the league when no crowds. He seems to get heavily influenced by the crowd and also is clearly a very emotional person. The talent is there. The problem is in his head in my opinion.

He is a very talented player but unfortunately has zero football IQ. Doesn't know when to take a player on or when to pass. Doesn't know when to cross or when to cut back in. Will skin two players then lose the ball trying to skin another, often unnecessarily. He overplays almost every possession. Worst of all, he never seems to learn. I don't think he even knows what he's doing wrong. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I feel Bailey would be a good player off the bench in right midfield spot. Running from deeper and carrying the ball. He improved in second half when switched to that position. 

Yeah, I think he'd be a solid option off the bench. But we need someone better to start these games.

the players own reaction at the end tells you how bad a miss it was... but hey that sort of stuff happens, better players than Bailey have missed chances

that said, i think him bawling like he was is a bit embarrassing for him and imo pretty pathetic

get a grip, has anyone died? has anyone been seriously injured? can't put any food on the table? can't afford to put the heating on?

you missed a golden chance in a bog standard Premier League match and you start blubbering like a baby for the whole world to see.....jeez

21 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

He is a very talented player but unfortunately has zero football IQ. Doesn't know when to take a player on or when to pass. Doesn't know when to cross or when to cut back in. Will skin two players then lose the ball trying to skin another, often unnecessarily. He overplays almost every possession. Worst of all, he never seems to learn. I don't think he even knows what he's doing wrong. 

He wants to be a human highlight reel, which is why he was sobbing on the ground after his miss. 

He needs to keep his head up (literally) and look for the open man instead of trying the unlikely nutmeg or whatever.

4 minutes ago, imavillan said:

the players own reaction at the end tells you how bad a miss it was... but hey that sort of stuff happens, better players than Bailey have missed chances

that said, i think him bawling like he was is a bit embarrassing for him and imo pretty pathetic

get a grip, has anyone died? has anyone been seriously injured? can't put any food on the table? can't afford to put the heating on?

you missed a golden chance in a bog standard Premier League match and you start blubbering like a baby for the whole world to see.....jeez

I think it was a performative display meant to convey his distress. I can't imagine he was actually sobbing and wailing with his chest heaving like that. 

Either way, it was kind of embarrassing. 

Not a great day for Leon but one of the things that surprises me is, given how little change he was getting out of the defender on the left side of their defence he never flips sides to try the other flank.     Do you think this is down to a lack of initiative or team orders to stay that side of the pitch?

Edited by Lochheads twin

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We can make top 6 with Martinez, Carlos, Kamara, Luiz and possibly Buendia, Ramsey and Watkins.

The rest, I agree, not good enough, but I expect the owners to augment the squad with the players Emery wants to enable us to push on.

Â