Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I don't want to labour the point, but all this fitting in to systems, is for the birds.....do other clubs have this problem.

Alan shearer once said, "players adapt" to the environment they are asked to play in.....I don't mean play an attacker as a defender of vice versa, that is different....but if an attacker, plays as an attacker, they should be able to adapt, if they are any good.....if they can't, maybe they was misjudged in the first place.

I would hazard a guess here, that should you play ASM in any prem league team, his skill set would shine through.....Adama Traore, showed pace at Villa, Middlesbrough and Wolves, obviously improving with age...but his pace was unchallenged.

Maybe Bailey, does need a run of games, to be sure.

Not sure how your love of ornithology has anything to do with football, unless you are Bill Oddie in disguise? Unless you mean birds custard, which needs a system when fitting into a trifle (tasty).

Also not sure what the mystery is about a player who plays the majority of his career as a winger/wide forward, not being played as a winger/wide forward.

I agree the mark of a good player can be to adapt, grow, learn, improve, but they need more than a handful of cameos and a very rare start to achieve that. This isn't even about Bailey it applies to any player. I would hope if Bailey got 4-5 starts in whatever system Gerrard is trying to play, he could adapt to it.

My points about Smith using wingers to some effect before (appreciate not all the time) was more in reference to us being able to get the occasional result against the big boys, by playing with pace on the break, that doesn't actually require wingers necessarily. At the moment our attacks are slow, ponderous and about as lethal as a Gregg's vegan sausage roll.

Edited by VillanousOne

3 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Really poor half.  Other than the cross at the end looked like a headless chicken out there. Has no clue how to press.

Yes which will keep him on second half. 

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Will look better under a different manager who plays to his strengths 

Mate, i'm heavily biased on this for obvious reasons, but Leons poor form has nothing to do with Manager.

He actually looked better in the second half, of the second half.

He needs minutes, confidence, and to get up to speed.

It's not down to SG that he looks much slower than he is in peak condition and makes some poor decisions.

I think we've got to be patient with him. 

Look how long it took Buendia to get up to speed and he didn't have any of the injury issues Bailey had. 

Buendia looked so slow and leggy that first month or two. 

It's clearly fitness. You've seen how rapid he is at previous clubs. 

• Like 2

Â