U23 Development League 2021/2022

BOF

Yes - all the runnersup are into the nextb round - so 32 teams. 

all group winners will play a runnerup - from the same North or South section but not from the same group.

Draw : https://www.efl.com/papa-johns-trophy/the-competition/fixtures/   all academy teams are away from home.

Villa could have drawn any of the 8 runnersup from the South section - except MK Dons from their own group and any Acad who finished 2nd - Chelsea & Arsenal

Edited by SirSteveUK

8 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

In fairness you could only get there by topping your group.

Not true - Chelsea & Arsenal both came second.                          

Edited by SirSteveUK

‘Crust’

’topping’ 

mmm not bad - i should have remembered this is VT- home to thematic wit.  😆

BTW Were you aware the real Papa John was fired from his own company ? Racism. 🙄

Edited by SirSteveUK
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Is Ben Chrisene OK?

Been wondering the same. He was my favourite out of the whole youth team as he reminds me so much of Gareth Barry. I hope that if he is injured it isnt career threatening because i think he is the best one out the lot , and there are so so many good ones 

We seem to have a disproportionate amount of long-term injuries to our academy players, Shakpoke, Ted Rowe, Afoka, Dominic Revan, Mungo Bridge, Patrick Zito, Campton-Sturride,and Ben Chrisene have all had long term injuries. This season Barnes, Aaron O'Reilly, and Burchall have all had lengthy spells out, Reddin also been out for the last three or four games.

After the international break would be good to see some of them return this weekend, our first game in the FA Youth Cup has to be played by December 11th, so that's within the next three weeks, Shakpoke, Burchall, and Chrisene are three of the best players we've got that we still qualify to play in the tournament, so could really do with them back in time for then.

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Is Ben Chrisene OK?

2 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Been wondering the same. He was my favourite out of the whole youth team as he reminds me so much of Gareth Barry. I hope that if he is injured it isnt career threatening because i think he is the best one out the lot , and there are so so many good ones 

from what i can see, he last played on the 24th May 21, so just over 6 months out now. (last game was the FA youth cup final?)

He was subbed off in that game in the 60th minute, so maybe thats where he picked up the injury??

I dont seem to be able to find anything on this "injury?", i hope he is on the mend and back soon, he looked a real talent.

Does anyone out there have any idea whats gone on!?

He's definitely been injured as he's indicated as such on his instagram on several occasions, I don't think there's any reason to think that there's anything else going on other than that. As stated above our academy players being out for lengthy periods of time isn't unsual, and it never gets reported, so again nothing unusual in the fact that Chrisene's injury whatever it is hasn't been reported, only way we know the academy players are injured in the first place is usually from their social media.

• Like 1

Shakpoke has played a few times, he did return from injury at the end of last season and he scored two goals including against his former club Norwich, but he was also injured in that same game which was on the last day of the season, and has been out since. He has only played one full 90 minutes for us and that was over a year ago, worryingly he said at the time that it was his first full 90 minutes in a year, so going by that seems he's been having injury problems for two plus years now.

We must rate him a lot considering we gave him a professional contract as soon as he turned seventeen.

• Thanks 2

We're home to Burnley live on AVTV this evening at 7. We're still 3rd.

Meanwhile, Fulham have already won again and are gone off into the distance 10 clear of 2nd placed West Brom.

Results so far this week

Friday
sha 1-2 Wolves
Fulham 3-0 Stoke

Sunday
Sunderland 3-2 Southampton
Middlesbrough 3-2 Norwich

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good time to be a Fulham fan. Im sure they'll both be delighted.

Interesting tonight to see if the new manager wants to use it as an opportunity to have a look at a couple of players - not that we have very many fringe players that he'll need to see, but it could be an interesting line up I guess.