Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

52 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He started loads under Emery?

I think he's mostly underperformed.

Mostly for the right reasons. He's being overly ambitious in possession when we need a bit of stability.

Certainly a player it's easy to love. Empties the tank defensively.

I mean him coming off the bench. Everton was the first time he's done that under Emery in the league.

6 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Thought he had a fine game. Just needs to play the game in the right areas and stop trying to beat a man if he drops into our own half to get the ball. 

Some of his passes in front of our own box are far to risky but hes a great player for us, as you said needs to be playing his game in the right areas. In the final third/ midfield. 

Knows where he needs to be positionally looks like he’s really bought into what Emery is asking of him sprinted back to close down Bowen ( I think) early on and gave Moreno a right rollocking for not doing so.

• Like 1

He’s so much better in that position behind Watkins than he is as one of the wide players. He doesn’t have the pace to get in behind players and the strength to hold players off.

Where he excels is receiving the ball on the half turn and moving towards the opposition penalty area because he has the quality to unlock the opposition defence. The pass to Watkins against Crystal Palace was sublime. 

He still gives the ball away in dangerous areas and often gets bullied off the ball but right now, he’s a better option than Bailey, Ramsey and Coutinho (albeit I think Coutinho is the better player). 

If he keeps improving and putting in performances like yesterday, he’s worth his place in the side, no question. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Continues the balance of keeping it simple when needed and then only carrying when there’s space. Playing to his strengths and not his weaknesses. 

Love it, ran Rice ragged.

5 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He’s so much better in that position behind Watkins than he is as one of the wide players. He doesn’t have the pace to get in behind players and the strength to hold players off.

Where he excels is receiving the ball on the half turn and moving towards the opposition penalty area because he has the quality to unlock the opposition defence. The pass to Watkins against Crystal Palace was sublime. 

He still gives the ball away in dangerous areas and often gets bullied off the ball but right now, he’s a better option than Bailey, Ramsey and Coutinho (albeit I think Coutinho is the better player). 

If he keeps improving and putting in performances like yesterday, he’s worth his place in the side, no question. 

Coutinho might still have more technical ability but better overall than Buendia? Not for me.

Edited by Tom13

I think it's become quite apparent in recent games that he's been told to not attempt things with high risk which can result in a transition that leaves us exposed. A big problem I've had with Buendia since he arrived is that he'd often try risky passes/turns that leave us in trouble when there's a simple pass available. He seems to have calmed down a bit now and just does the simple and picks his moments to try risky stuff a bit better. He's in great form atm. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Coutinho might still have more technical ability but better overall than Buendia? Not for me.

You’re probably right. I don’t think Coutinho has the legs or the same drive as Buendia does. That said, he’s a much better footballer, without question. Coutinho is a sublime player with regards to technical ability. 

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

You’re probably right. I don’t think Coutinho has the legs or the same drive as Buendia does. That said, he’s a much better footballer, without question. Coutinho is a sublime player with regards to technical ability. 

No reactions left but I do agree.

• Haha 1

Thought he had a great game except for his attempted defending at corners. Why he was given the job of making Ings I'm not sure... but I guess Ings didn't score and he didn't concede a penalty from his constant arms all over Ings so maybe it was the right call.

He is definitely keeping the ball better and still has the ability to unlock a defence when the opportunity arises.

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

I think it's become quite apparent in recent games that he's been told to not attempt things with high risk which can result in a transition that leaves us exposed. A big problem I've had with Buendia since he arrived is that he'd often try risky passes/turns that leave us in trouble when there's a simple pass available. He seems to have calmed down a bit now and just does the simple and picks his moments to try risky stuff a bit better. He's in great form atm. 

Might have been told it, might just be that with a consistent run of games under Emery he isn’t feeling he needs to prove himself every time he gets the ball or be dropped to the bench. Noticing the same thing as you but it could just be confidence and a little security.

• Like 2

Key player IMO.  Probably the only attacker who has the ability to play quick, intricate football and is more than happy to make those risky attacking passes which are absolutely essential to any side.

He'll lose the ball a fair amount and he has a certain temperament, but he's a good player.

57 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Might have been told it, might just be that with a consistent run of games under Emery he isn’t feeling he needs to prove himself every time he gets the ball or be dropped to the bench. Noticing the same thing as you but it could just be confidence and a little security.

This is such a good point. 

I would imagine the impact on Emi mentally, when Stevie brought in Coutinho, was a huge dent to his confidence. Direct positional replacement, bessie mates with the boss, so every second he was lucky enough to have on the pitch, Emi felt he had to "produce a moment of magic". What we are now seeing is security and a clear and consistent approach to selection. 

• Like 3

Â